IGNORED

Rebecca !!!!!!!'s recent blog entry

WonderingInWA

I dunno, I only picked around a few of the latest entries but it seems to me that all can be explained by her just being very socially isolated from others (mainstream others) her own age. She's socially stunted (which her family and circles probably sees as a good thing) and with peers mainly younger than she is, she just seems weird and young, and identifying with fashions too young, etc.

It seems that in the crowd her family runs with, she's one of the oldest, and yet because the parent generation has always seen her as a kid, she still is (meaning they treat her like one), so she has that sort of awkward "biggest kid at the kids' table" thing going on which seems common around oldest-children fundies. But, dunno.

I suspect if she somehow were whisked away for a month of camp with more worldly peers some of the oddness might disappear.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Camp Maxwell would ship her right into shape. But they don't host guests that aren't marrying into their family. So, she's out of luck there. Maybe she could knock on the Duggars' door and show THEM how good she is using punctuation marks.

Guys, I don't know, but don't really think it's right to snark on someone's developmental status, especially someone who is not going to handle it like an adult, but more like a child.

I think this thread goes a little too far.

Guys, I don't know, but don't really think it's right to snark on someone's developmental status, especially someone who is not going to handle it like an adult, but more like a child.

I think this thread goes a little too far.

Like I said, I wasn't snarking. I am serious and if it's true I do think we should lay off her.

Lots of obese people are actually quite undernourished - either from chronic dieting or the quality of food (imagine an all-fast-food diet and the kind of havoc that could unleash on your system).

And sometimes the deep colored eye circles are genetic. They run heavy in my family but thankfully mine are just purple where my eyeglass nose stems are. Some days are worse than others and I can look like I am sporting 2 shiners if I've been ill, worried or sleep deprived. So it could be bad genes too. :shifty:

The more I think about it, the more I believe that there is nothing "wrong" with Rebecca that a little exposure to the real world couldn't fix. Her writing and spelling is better than a number of non-fundie bloggers I can think of.

I do feel a bit guilty talking about her because she is really naive and probably harmless. But I think that she is more limited by her upbringing and beliefs than she is by her intellectual capability.

And sometimes the deep colored eye circles are genetic. They run heavy in my family but thankfully mine are just purple where my eyeglass nose stems are. Some days are worse than others and I can look like I am sporting 2 shiners if I've been ill, worried or sleep deprived. So it could be bad genes too. :shifty:

Yes, same here. That's why I'm thankful for concealer. :mrgreen:

JMO opinion, given the Rebecca's age and apparent social isolation as well as perhaps lack of a broad education, I'm not sure she's snark bait. Most importantly because of her age, she's not snark bait. I don't really see anything on her blog that really is about her promoting the lifestyle she lives. I see poverty. I see lack of socailization. I see living apart from mainstream culture. But I also see a young teenager, who doesn't fully understand internet land and all that entails.

What Rebecca needs is an older aunty who is perhaps a bit outside her ken for a bit a conversation about ideas outside her comfort zone, but not FJ snark.

Some of the kids in that family do look a bit "awkward" but I do not think that is because they have a genetic defect or "syndrome".

A couple of the Wilkersons (blonde kids) have FAS.

It is offensive to some even in SpecEd circles. I know folks who won't even say the world retarded as a medical diagnosis - it's treated a lot like the n-word. Personally I have no real problem with it if it's used as a medical term, though I do prefer something like "intellectual disability"

In school we were taught to refer to them as "persons with disabilities." Always putting the person first so it isn't implied that his or her disability is what defines them. That was more than a decade ago though.

As a plus size woman, I would like to introduce Rebecca's mom to bras that fit right.

Her mother's dress isn't all that bad, and I think it's great she can still wear it (two years ago), but it would look so much better with a decent bra and a decent corset. She wouldn't look so nice with decent undergarments. Cacique.com has the best bras for full figured women, both for fat women and for busty women.

I'm curious with the obsession over all things victorian, why don't we ever see these women in corsets? I wore one under my wedding dress because I wanted my figure to be non-lumpy as a fat chick. It worked beautifully, and I had the best cleavage of my entire life. A decent corset is expensive, but it makes a world of difference. You don't have to be cinched nasty tight to accomplish a smooth shape. I found mine to be quite comfortable.

I think the cake was awful. I've taken basic cake decorating classes and that's about all the more complicated that anniversary cake was. Anyone can learn those basic skills at a cheap Wilton cake decorating class.

The dresses and hairstyles on the girls? Very unflattering! Can't they all channel some Botkin-esque fashion sense? Please??? Their countenances would be so enhanced if they did.

A couple of the Wilkersons (blonde kids) have FAS.

In school we were taught to refer to them as "persons with disabilities." Always putting the person first so it isn't implied that his or her disability is what defines them. That was more than a decade ago though.

I see MR used all the time in the medical and psychology fields.

It's a bit outdated, but it's not offensive in SpecEd circles, it can be used as terminology to describe cognitive abilities below 70 IQ or so.

Actually it can no longer be used in Special Ed, the law changed a year or more ago. IEPs cannot use that term. It is still used in medical terminology.

Actually it can no longer be used in Special Ed, the law changed a year or more ago. IEPs cannot use that term. It is still used in medical terminology.

Depends on where you are, maybe? The children I work with are still referred to as mild to moderate MR in their IEPs.

Depends on where you are, maybe? The children I work with are still referred to as mild to moderate MR in their IEPs.

Seriously? "Retarded"? Honestly, I am not a fan of political correctness, I like to call things by their name, but [insert whatever term you like here ] people deserve respect, too. They deserve a lot of respect. Retarded is not the way to go.

Guest Anonymous

Seriously? "Retarded"? Honestly, I am not a fan of political correctness, I like to call things by their name, but [insert whatever term you like here ] people deserve respect, too. They deserve a lot of respect. Retarded is not the way to go.

Retarded means slowed or delayed. It is a word that is no longer used in many places because of the negative connotations that have been attached to it, but it did not start out as an offensive word and is still not considered offensive now by some people in some areas. In 20 years, it is possible that 'developmentally delayed' will no longer be considered to be respectful language.

Retarded means slowed or delayed. It is a word that is no longer used in many places because of the negative connotations that have been attached to it, but it did not start out as an offensive word and is still not considered offensive now by some people in some areas. In 20 years, it is possible that 'developmentally delayed' will no longer be considered to be respectful language.

Agreed. I don't use the term "mentally retarded" when talking about anyone, I tend to use developmentally delayed or whatever other term fits best. I was just responding to NurseNell to let her know that "mentally retarded" is still used on IEPs as a diagnostic term.

:shock: I don't even know where to begin... but why wear your old, very big and very fluffy wedding dress even if it still fits? The photo of the mother screams "mutton dressed as lamb". She could have chosen a classic "mother-of-the-bride"-dress and look just fine. This looks just ridiculous.

The hair stylist should be ashamed of herself, the hair "do" does nothing for the lady.

And the girl's dresses... they are so bright and shiny that I need to wear sunglasses...

How are you guys seeing this? I see a lot of pics of the younger girls in 90's style dresses, but no vow renewals.

Guest Anonymous
How are you guys seeing this? I see a lot of pics of the younger girls in 90's style dresses, but no vow renewals.

hiswayserves-hiswayserves.blogspot.com/2011/10/happy-belated-anniversary.html

Aw, I thought all the effort they put into it was very sweet. The gake is not bad for homemade. I saw a bunch of other pcs of their home cakes on the blog and they were really good.

Archived