IGNORED

What's wrong with Abe Lincoln?

Cordial

I'm currently taking an upper level seminar on the Civil War and really, there is not one reason why the Civil War was started. No one explanation is going to account for all the factors. It was a really, really, really complicated situation.

From all I've read, on different sides of the argument, it boils down to political power and money/greed. Even reading the writings of Calhoon who is also highly esteemed by the Southern secessionists today, it is all about defending slavery. They claim that it was about autonomy of the states, but the arguments always boil down to defending why it's a good and proper measure to keep slaves and use them to help the greater good which generally produced some fiduciary and political benefit to someone, or it withheld some of that from a competitor.

The majority of the major players in the Civil War were Reformed/Calvinist, and they wanted autonomous control over their own lands.

The Southern states wanted control over other states; that's what the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 was for, because Northern states had done crazy things like require a trial before someone accused of being a runaway slave could be returned to their owner, as if free Black people might be citizens with due process rights.

Let me ask a question that's off topic here but related to the Calvinist/Reformed religions in America.

If America (god forbid) becomes a total theocratic-Christian Reconstructive-theonomy-totalitarian country, who's actually in Charge of that government, besides God, who's the leader/president/king/whatever?

Doug and friends would weasel out of serving somehow. Although, that wouldn't stop them from dressing up in Confederate uniform. And yes, I could see him having slaves.

Yes, he would have preferred to be a southern slave owner rather than a northern industrialist. Much nicer clothes, soft breezes, no hard work.... It's exactly the position for a headship.

And he would most definitely been in the Confederate army, because he would have started as a Colonel with a snazzy uniform, a sword/penis, and with his own troops. After his first battle, he would have slunk home with a fake wound.

Let me ask a question that's off topic here but related to the Calvinist/Reformed religions in America.

If America (god forbid) becomes a total theocratic-Christian Reconstructive-theonomy-totalitarian country, who's actually in Charge of that government, besides God, who's the leader/president/king/whatever?

That would be the Constitution Party, back before they started becoming openly weird (like in 2004 when they ran Peroutka whose campaign sounded like Doug). They didn't used to be weird and before their supporters and players didn't sound like theocrats. They got much worse after Y2K.

That's why I wrote to Howard Phillips (whom I had met and who was acquainted with my husband knew our names) and asked about his opinion about Doug and what Doug was doing and what he taught. In the event and slim chance that the Constitution Party ever voted in a US President, I stated that we could no longer support the Constitution Party unless he gave me some kind of word that Doug would have nothing to do with the government. Can you see the Ministry of Purification that guy would set up? People are afraid of him now because of his connections within the Religious Right. Ministry of Information Doug. Yeah. Like people like me would not be sued and jailed.

Theoretically, in the US, they would have to and would want to follow the Constitution. How they would observe and interpret it would be the concern.

Someone groomed by C street and the Family.

From all I've read, on different sides of the argument, it boils down to political power and money/greed. Even reading the writings of Calhoon who is also highly esteemed by the Southern secessionists today, it is all about defending slavery. They claim that it was about autonomy of the states, but the arguments always boil down to defending why it's a good and proper measure to keep slaves and use them to help the greater good which generally produced some fiduciary and political benefit to someone, or it withheld some of that from a competitor.

Oh, sure, it was definitely all about slavery. But slavery cannot fully explain what happened, because slavery had existed and been disagreed about between sections for a long time at the onset of the Civil War. Don't get me wrong, slavery was the primary issue, but that doesn't mean it wasn't still highly complicated.

Archived