IGNORED

Wow howdy! New boards? New members? (explain your username)

TheDarkSideLuke

I also was mostly a lurker on the old board. I chose my name because I'm a doctor, but of the PhD rather than MD variety. My husband and I, both historians, joke that we're doctors, but not the kind who help people.

I'm going to loveyou! I love all things history but really American history from the late 1500's to I guess to the 30's. Each year I get a little closer to liking the present era. 5 years ago I would have said up until the civil war but as you can see I'm growing and not just in the butt.

What is your favorite time period and what time is your expertise?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When choosing my Pagan name, my High Priestess instructed me to choose a name that incorporated something I already was, and something I still aspired to be. Cliodna was an Irish Goddess, the Daughter of McManan Mac Lir. She had a weakness for mortal men, and always ended up trying to take them home under the waves and drowning them. I'm on my 4th marriage. I've buried two miserable husbands, one from a car accident and the other from Cancer. She was also known as a healer, and sang the sick to sleep. She carried 3 beautiful birds. I've always kept birds, at present it's chickens. Can't carry a tune but love music. :violin:

Mompom was what Karen Killilea called her mother, Marie Killilea. I read the book "Karen" as a child and fell in love with it. I have a child with special needs too and I thought it was interesting how one of my favorite books as a child sort of came full circle to me as an adult in my own life.
I had assumed it was a reference to the First Wives' Club (Annie Paradise's daughter, Sylvie, calls her "Mompom" :D Sylvie has DS, so maybe that was written as a reference to the Killileas?)

Arthur's trusty servant is named Patsy in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". It's one of my favourite movies, that's all.

I'm from the upper midwest, and now wish I'd chosen "tatortot hotdish" as my handle, but when I signed up it was my first board (BOARD VIRGIN) and so when I signed up with another service, it just took that handle, and then I figured it was established, so I didn't change it.

But, if you want to know, clarinetpower is a reference to my instrument. As a section leader, I used to shout "Clarinet POWER!!!" to inspire my section and get them to play out. It worked! And yes, they thought I was nuts. But it was totally worth it when another musician described us as "a wall of clarinet sound". That made me happy. :D

I grew up in a nominally Christian but mostly didn't go family, ELCA. I've found a great church and go willingly now. My husband is Buddhist. The great thing about ELCA is that they actually *are* tolerant of others. And the ones that aren't are generally too polite to speak up.

I'm married (15 years yesterday!) with 2 young kids (4 and 1). I'm currently a SAHM, but not for religious reasons. It just worked out that way.

I would love to know if there are any other geeks out there that recognize my profile pic. I thought it was rather defrauding, too, so it seemed a given.

Its been my favorite word since I was itty bitty

Higgledy piggledy pop

The dog has eaten the mop

The pig's in a hurry

The cat's in a flurry

Higgledy piggledy pop

Higgledypiggledy, here's the poem your username makes me think of every time (by British poet Wendy Cope, one of my faves):

Higgledy-piggledy

Emily Dickinson

Liked to use dashes

Instead of full stops.

Nowadays, faced with such

Idiosyncracy,

Critics and editors

Send for the cops.

Penny Sycamore is the mother's name in the play and film You Can't Take It With You. The Sycamore/ Vanderhof family are delightfully eccentric. Everyone does pretty much what they want to do and nobody is worried about making money.

Spring Byington played Penny in the movie which won the Oscar for Best Picture in 1938.

If I hadn't picked PennySycamore, I probably would have chosen CK Dexter Haven which is the name of Cary Grant's character in The Philadelphia Story. Yeah, I love old movies.

PennySycamore wrote:

If I hadn't picked PennySycamore, I probably would have chosen CK Dexter Haven which is the name of Cary Grant's character in The Philadelphia Story. Yeah, I love old movies.

CK Dexter Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaveeeeeeeen! Zeebakiddo and I are old movie addicts, too. We are watching TCMs drive in movie double features right now.

Mine? I wanted to get away from my usual online moniker, but I couldn't think of anything. I was reading a Pearls Before Swine book, and the phrase Zeebaneighba just made me laugh. Nothing more clever or significant than that.

bb is (are?) my real life initials, and a free-thinker is what I am.

During high school we had to read some classics, and some of Sophocles' plays were on the list. Being the nerd I am, I read every book on the list,and ended up getting addicted to the Greek playwrights and their plays. I actually prefer Dante's Inferno to Sophocles's Oedipus Rex trilogy, but figured it was better to retain "Antigone" simply for familarity's sake. I used to be Antigonesev, but dropped the "sev" for the move over here. I do consider myself still married to Dr. Sev, though, and mom to a miniature Hermione down to the hair and Mary-Janes (today's quote was, "Mo-om! I have enough library books til tomorrow..." I doubt 5 books can carry her over a week but we will see).

Mine is slightly less straight-forward than it seems.

Obviously, I like cats so that explains that part. But the banana is a little more complex. My last name sounds like Cider, but it is spelled very differently. But apple cat is already a thing. So I just picked another fruit that I like, and then googled it to make sure it doesn't already mean something else. My 3 favorite fruits are banana, strawberry, and orange. Orange was too generic and could be a color. So I chose banana over strawberry because I wanted something more gender-neutral, as sort of an experiment to see how people would treat me if my sex isn't obvious.

Hello all! I'm mostly a lurker - not enough time for posting - and I've been reading FJ since its inception at Yuku. I love Hitchcock movies, and my username references the "main" character in Vertigo.

I'm an atheist feminist gardening nerd who grew up Catholic. Funnily enough, I came to the realization that I was an atheist on the very first day of Confirmation classes, but never told anyone. We don't have too many fundies here in the Upper Midwest, so I read the fundy blogs with a mixture of fascination and utter disbelief.

My username is my middle name. When I first got into internet forums, oh, ten-twelve years ago, I was on one where most people used their own names, but there were a bunch of people with the same first name as me, so I switched to my middle name.

Oddly enough, since that time, I've met two people named Linnea in real life - I'd never met one before. I had to suppress the urge to answer to their names at first.

Did I ever introduce myself? I'm a born-and-raised atheist. I think my fundie fascination started when I read The Handmaid's Tale. It scared me to death and seemed like something that could really happen.

[edited to prove that I do know the difference between "there" and "their"]

Some of these names are fun! Mine's... pretty boring. I have a cat. And her name is Freya. That's pretty much it. I try to use different usernames in different places, and they're all pretty random.

I need to get a cute photo of my cat for an avatar!

ETA: Cute avatar accomplished! That's my kitty to the left there! :)

kb are my initials. The new board made me use three characters, so I picked the number 2 because I like it. (Is it weird to like numbers? I also like 9.)

I actually use kb everywhere I post on the internet. When I first started reading blogs of any type, I started at Scienceblogs, and there was some huge discussion over there about pseudonymity on the internet, that giving your full name is different from using the same pseudonym to identify yourself which is different from changing your name constantly so your opinions/personality aren't trackable at all. Anyhoo, I decided I would go the route of not giving my full name for safety but always using the same pseudonym online to be principled and not sockpuppeting everywhere. But there are a lot of kb's online, so my grand plans to create a persona for myself were kinda waylaid by my choice of two letters that are probably the initials of a million + people. So if you see a kb elsewhere who is incoherent and ramble-y but has *awesome* ideas, it could be me. If they're giving some homophobic racist rant or something, that's definitely not me!

Hi everyone. My name is my personal response to Michelle Duggar and all the other Quiverfull mamas out there. Yes, 3 kids is enough for me. I was a longtime lurker and infrequent poster at the old FJ as Simonismean (a leftover from an old American Idol yuku board :oops: ), but decided to change to a more board-appropriate name.

I was born and raised a Catholic, but do not attend church these days. I have issues with the Church's stance on birth control, women priests, celibacy for priests, and, of course, the handling of the molestation scandals. We stopped being members of a parish when my then 12 year old daughter, in response to yet another capital campaign where we were urged to consider giving ALL of our charitable donations budget to the parish for a new NBA sized basketball gym and cafeteria/reception hall for the recently built school, commented that "All they care about is how much money we give!"

I've been married for 31 years to Mr. 3 is enough, the kids are now 22, 20, and 18. Unlike the Duggars, we believe in higher education. My 2 sons are university students and my daughter is going to medical school in the fall. I was born in Canada, but have lived in the US for 20 years. I have dual citizenship, but still think like a Canadian, so all of this ultra-right wing Christian fundamentalism is fascinating and quite alien to me.

I am a llama. Though, according to my avatar, I more closely resemble a large pink bunny. I enjoy drama. It's all very complicated.

Pamplemousse is French for grapefruit. I love grapefruit and could eat it all day. It's big, round, and heavy, like me. It's tart yet sweet, like me. I shouldn't eat much of it because of meds I take, so I feel a bit rebellious eating it... a way to go against what's expected. Also, I just like the word "pamplemousse".

I am a llama. Though, according to my avatar, I more closely resemble a large pink bunny. I enjoy drama. It's all very complicated.

Of course it's complicated: you wouldn't be a drama llama otherwise! :D

As for me, "defrauding" comes from our favorite fundie family -- but I've never actually watched them on television, oddly enough. Instead, I picked up the word after stumbling upon this board and lurking a bit. "Defrauding" suits me well, though, given my penchant for immodest jokes.

My name is a combination of a few things. I have a cat who is my baby- I love him so much. I call him all sorts of cutesy, cheesy names like "My little baby Muffin" because muffins are sweet and "my little bear" and eventually I started calling him my "Muffin Bear", lol. Hence, my screen name. I know it sounds cheesy, but I make up all sorts of names for him and Muffin Bear is the most ridiculous, nonsensical thing I could call him.

Moose are badasses, and I like to pretend to be. :) General consensus among loved ones is that my patronus would be a moose- big, strong, so effing goofy looking and clumsy but with an odd grace. And sometimes around fundies a patronus is necessary.

ETA: Can I tell y'all how much I'm loving the Who-niverse avatars around here? I <3<3 The Doctor.

Archived