IGNORED

Four Legacies of Feminism - snarkworthy

tropaka

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 11898.html

oh my. Have at it....

Summary

Feminism is bad because:

1) it encourages women to be promscuous, which in turn makes women depressed

2) it encourages women to put off marriage and children until their 30's (missing out on the decade when they are "most attractive" to men

3) working outside the home is now considered normal and better than being a homemaker

4) it emasculates men, who apparently need to be head of a family (not an equal partner) to feel manly

As a result, vast numbers of young American women had and continue to have what are called hook-ups, and for some of them it's quite possible that no psychological or emotional price has been paid.

:greetings-waveyellow::greetings-wavingyellow::greetings-wavingblue::greetings-wavegreen:

I want to avoid preparing for class...let's see.

1. I'm not depressed. Oh and fuck you and your slut-shaming.

2. Oh shit, I'm 22! Better jump on the next guy who looks twice at me and get married before I stop being hot enough. Again, fuck you.

3. For me personally, having a career IS better than being a homemaker; nuff said.

4. I missed the part where it's my problem that insecure men are threatened by my competing with them in the workforce and out-earning them.

Men need a role, or they become, as the title of George Gilder's classic book on single men describes them, "Naked Nomads." In little more than a generation, feminism has obliterated roles. If you wonder why so many men choose not to get married, the answer lies in large part in the contemporary devaluation of the husband and of the father -- of men as men, in other words. Most men want to be honored in some way -- as a husband, a father, a provider, as an accomplished something; they don't want merely to be "equal partners" with a wife.

Oh the poor little dears. They don't want to be "just" equal, they want to be "honored". I just can't understand how your wife being an equal partner keeps you from being "honored".

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/11/01/four_legacies_of_feminism_111898.html

oh my. Have at it....

Summary

Feminism is bad because:

2) it encourages women to put off marriage and children until their 30's (missing out on the decade when they are "most attractive" to men

3) working outside the home is now considered normal and better than being a homemaker

4) it emasculates men, who apparently need to be head of a family (not an equal partner) to feel manly

So, in other words, some men are afraid if they don't lord it over their women fold and act all manly man, a la Dougie the Anaconda Hunter, their balls will shrivel up and fall off? :lol: Quite frankly, I would be more worried about all that processed junk they eat shrivelling up their balls. It ain't us women who are emasculating them, it's their own pea sized brains doing it!

For bad legacy one: Most women have sexual feelings and desires just as men do. There have ALWAYS been promiscuous women, just as with men. He claims that women with lots of sexual partners are depressed. Perhaps, because a lot of times when women continously have hook ups they are "searching" for something. They are usually unhappy already. I should also mention that lack of a fulfilling relationship with a man can cause depression as well, especially for women with high libidos.

For bad legacy two: Oh, bullshit! Women postponing marriage and having a career and gaining stability and independence is bad because they are only attractive in their 20s???? Then why am I still single? I'm in my 20s. Nothing.

Again, I cite women callers to my radio show over the past 20 years who have sadly looked back at what they now, at age 40, regard as 20 wasted years. Sure, these frequently bright and talented women have a fine career. But most women are not programed to prefer a great career to a great man and a family. They feel they were sold a bill of goods at college and by the media.

It turns out that most women without a man do worse in life than fish without bicycles."

Sources? Examples? Just have to take your word on it? I don't buy it. Many young women I know are waiting for marriage because young men their age aren't ready for marriage. Most young women I know (including myself) would get married in their 20s if they had someone to marry who was ready to get married.

Bad legacy three:

Whatever feminists may say about their only advocating choices, everyone knows the truth: Feminism regards work outside the home as more elevating, honorable, and personally productive than full-time mothering and homemaking.

Everyone, huh? Maybe some mothers do find it better than carrying for a toddler all day. I think a lot of moms would love to be home, but can't. Not in this economy. Some women are actually better mothers when they get time away at work. They need outside interaction besides a two year old (or whatever age their little ones are).

Bad legacy four:

Most men want to be honored in some way -- as a husband, a father, a provider, as an accomplished something; they don't want merely to be "equal partners" with a wife.

Why not? Why do men need to be honored? Everone likes to feel needed, certainly, but it's not like they aren't still needed for heavens sake. Grow a pair, Dennis!

If you wonder why so many men choose not to get married, the answer lies in large part in the contemporary devaluation of the husband and of the father -- of men as men, in other words.

So men are not men unless women stay devalued? :roll:

Guest Anonymous

:greetings-waveyellow::greetings-wavingyellow::greetings-wavingblue::greetings-wavegreen:

Oh, so any woman who engages in a hookup is supposed to be penalized? How? Is she supposed to throw herself in front of a tram like Anna Karenina? Or is it enough for her to die from syphilis like Mildred in Of Human Bondage?

I have slept with one man in the past decade, married to him the whole time. So what is causing my depression and anxiety? lmao

I love how only one of these legacies is actually about women. The rest are about how sad liberated women make misogynists: "Oh no, we're getting married when we're more economically stable, but you're less attractive now than you were in your 20s. Life is so hard! At least now, when I have affairs, I can blame it on you letting yourself go."

Oh, what a load of crap.

-That's funny...I've never been encouraged to be promiscuous...and I'm not depressed. Next question!

-Well, where are all these men who find women in their 20's "most attractive"? I'm 22 and majoring in a traditionally male-dominated field, so I've met a lot of guys. There are not a lot of females in my classes. We're all between 20-22, and none of us have guys banging down our doors for dates. (We're not ugly, either!) Your point is disproved. NEXT!

-And your point is...? Not all women want to be homemakers.

-Go read the story of Deborah and then come back and talk to me. God did not create women to be doormats.

OK, let's see here

1) I'm neither promiscuous or depressed. Monogamous and happy, actually.

2) I did put off marriage till my 30's. Still got married. Still had 3 children. Guess I didn't miss out on the decade of attractiveness. And, no, my husband did not require me to wear a paper bag over my head to produce said children.

3) In my case, working outside the home is normal and better than being a homemaker. I'd make a lousy homemaker. I am able to be the best parent I can because I work outside the home.

4) My husband, my equal partner in marriage, would object to this categorization. For proof of lack of emasculation see #2.

I have slept with one man in the past decade, married to him the whole time. So what is causing my depression and anxiety? lmao

Maybe it's because you've only slept with one man in the past decade :?: :lol:

j/k - if sleeping with only one man caused depression, I'd be in a catatonic state by now - lol

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/11/01/four_legacies_of_feminism_111898.html

oh my. Have at it....

Summary

Feminism is bad because:

Snort.

My answers.

1. I had (have!) a pretty active and healthy sex life, yes, for many years. It was a lot of fun, very enjoyable, and I don't regret my experiences. I was definitely not depressed. Now I remain promiscuous only with my husband, but remain most definitely not depressed. :dance:

2. I did not get married until I was 30. At 32 I still do not have children. I am grateful I did not get married until 30 and had the chance to develop myself as a person - one who is independent, self-aware, self-loving and who knows what they want and need in a partner as well (and took the time to find the right partner). If I had married one of the guys I dated when I was much younger, I would be miserable. Particularly since they were also 20-somethings at the time!

Also, since my husband regularly tells me I am beautiful, hot, cute, and all sorts of other things (along with intelligent, funny...) I don't care if you consider 30+ year old women "not as attractive". I have met many men who would disagree (even many younger men like their cougars... :shock: ). Sure I have more gray hairs than I did ten years ago, but I would say I am in great shape, take good care of myself and feel and look awesome (I need a pat on the back emoticon?). Most think I am nowhere near the age I am.

I do not have kids. We will not for a while yet. And even then, I am leaning more towards not having them at all, or being a foster parent for some older children. The horror! I have a very satisfying life, whether I have children or not. I have nothing against children, I love my nieces and nephews. I just do not feel they are mandatory simply as I have a uterus.

3. Um, yeah, I work outside the home. I love it. I love my career. I am good at it. I worked hard to get here. I do not want to be a homemaker. I would be bored silly. I despise cleaning and most "domestic" things (as my husband can attest, ha!). If others want to be, go for it.

Also, do you really think women only recently started working out of the home? Only the people who could afford it allowed for women to stay at home.

I do not intend on ever being a homemaker or stay at home wife or mother. It does not fit for me. If we do have children though, my husband is very open to staying at home. I am in full support of that, as long as we can afford it.

4. I read this to my husband and he laughed. As he said, he wanted an equal partner - and one who was her own individual - in life, not a voiceless slave.

Sorry to hear you have such low expectations of men that you think they "need" to be head of household to feel manly. Maybe your own identity is so threatened by an independent and equal partner, but I have met many who are far from it. Only an immature person would base their own sense of self-worth on what "role" they can play in the home, or by keeping another person submissive and without a voice of her own.

Neither my husband or I are "head of household". We are true equal participants. I do make more than he does right now, but this does not make me "head of household". Him having a penis does not make him "head of household". We work together, as a team, and it is awesome.

I thought 30 is a the new 20? Am I mistaken? (I'm only 24, but I know plenty of attractive, older women.)

1) Actually, I've been with only one person who I love very much (we're not married, either). I'm quite happy being monogamous. Also, you don't have to be a fundie to save yourself for someone you love.

2) I know plenty of very happy, married, 40 year old women with children. And they don't regret waiting.

3) And that's bad because....? I like being able to make my own money and spend it how I want to. Plus, it gives me something fulfilling to do during the day. Sorry, raising kids and cleaning is not my idea of "fulfilling" (though I'm aware it may be for some, and that's okay if it's their choice).

4) A man can still be a man without being the head of a family. Just saying. I think patriarchal men are power-hungry, lazy, or have control issues. A true man is someone who isn't afraid to humble himself to help cook, clean, raise kids, and ultimately be able to take care of himself.

Personally, I'm very happy with the fact that if I have to live on my own, I can work and support myself and take care of myself. My significant other is very happy with the fact he can do the same. If he needs to cook a meal for himself, he can do it, he doesn't need a female to do it for him. My SO wouldn't want a dependent woman anyway. He values women who are free-thinkers.

Many young women I know are waiting for marriage because young men their age aren't ready for marriage. Most young women I know (including myself) would get married in their 20s if they had someone to marry who was ready to get married.

YES, THIS.

(Married at 31 to a 33-year-old who wasn't ready until about three seconds before he proposed.)

OK, lessee:

Really. I was pretty far from promiscuous in my single days, and the only time I was clinically depressed was when I had had absolutely nothing going on in my romantic life for over a year. (The two issues were likely connected, but I wasn't depressed only because I was hopelessly single.)

See the above. I would've gotten married at 25 had it been a viable option.

For some people, it is--and for many people, two incomes are necessary. My earnings are a relatively small but important part of our income.

Uh, no. My husband makes no major decisions without my input, and he insists that I work (we could easily live on his income, but mine helps us get ahead).

I'm 22 and majoring in a traditionally male-dominated field, so I've met a lot of guys. There are not a lot of females in my classes. We're all between 20-22, and none of us have guys banging down our doors for dates.
See, Lovie, THAT'S your problem - YOU'RE GOING TO COLLEGE. You are threatening and emasculating all those young men just by your presence.

You need to quit immediately, and head straight home (to your father's house, of course). Once you begin scrubbing toilets every day with homemade cleaning solution, hanging curtains made from yard sale dish towels, and wearing frumpers, the men will come POURING forth to claim you! Of course, you will have to wait for Daddy to select one for you, but you can start a blog to document how you are filling your hope chest while you patiently wait.

Just don't forget to send us the URL, so we can enjoy the process with you! :D

Numbers 1 and 3 seem contradictory. Doing the popular thing is considered "normal and better" but it also makes women depressed.

Oh the poor little dears. They don't want to be "just" equal, they want to be "honored". I just can't understand how your wife being an equal partner keeps you from being "honored".

Yes, again, those poor little men. :roll:

And on the "putting off marriage and children" one - has this person seen/met the Botkinettes or Sarah Maxwell?

See, Lovie, THAT'S your problem - YOU'RE GOING TO COLLEGE. You are threatening and emasculating all those young men just by your presence.

You need to quit immediately, and head straight home (to your father's house, of course). Once you begin scrubbing toilets every day with homemade cleaning solution, hanging curtains made from yard sale dish towels, and wearing frumpers, the men will come POURING forth to claim you! Of course, you will have to wait for Daddy to select one for you, but you can start a blog to document how you are filling your hope chest while you patiently wait.

Just don't forget to send us the URL, so we can enjoy the process with you! :D

:laughing-rollingyellow:

Oh noez!!! I'm scaring all the menfolk away with the ebil college education!!! :shock: :D :lol:

As a 27 year old, with 3 post secondary degrees, including two law degrees from two different countries, thank you Mr. Pranger for mansplaining to me how I have wasted my twenties! I'm so sorry that there isn't a male who is man enough that he isn't emasculated by my education, fortitude, drive, self confidence and ambition! Thank you! I now see the errors of my ways. My contributions to society and my immediate family so far are worthless because I have not married, had children and spend my entire day cooking, cleaning and limiting their own choices in life! Thank you. I'm sorry that I didn't find a pervy guy who is only attracted to 20 year olds instead of being attracted to a 30 year old when he's 30.

A real man isn't emasculated by a strong woman.*

*I hate the term "real man" and there is nothing wrong with being a homemaker if that is your choice.

Uhm, I think men don't want to get married (if this is indeed the case) because the things they might value (independence, own house, sex) in the past could only be achieved through marriage, but now you don't need to be married to enjoy these things....

It appears with the advent of successful, high achieving women, not even fundie men can say that women are naturally inferior in their jobs. Now, they got a new tact whereby they accuse those same successful women of demasculating men. What it comes down to is the idea that women in high powered careers are BAD! BAD! BAD! It seems that while fundies believe men are natural leaders and visionaries, they are also of fragile ego. A women who appears more successful than them will challenge their self-worth to the point of making these masculine men shrivel up into a fetal ball. Very nice.

It appears with the advent of successful, high achieving women, not even fundie men can say that women are naturally inferior in their jobs. Now, they got a new tact whereby they accuse those same successful women of demasculating men. What it comes down to is the idea that women in high powered careers are BAD! BAD! BAD! It seems that while fundies believe men are natural leaders and visionaries, they are also of fragile ego. A women who appears more successful than them will challenge their self-worth to the point of making these masculine men shrivel up into a fetal ball. Very nice.

Ironically, the kind of thinking in that article is also demeaning to men. People who believe like that make it seem as though men are like delicate little flowers that can wilt or shatter at the smallest bit of competition and independence from driven, intelligent women. That sort of thinking seems far more emasculating, IMO. There are plenty of men who have no trouble making something of themselves even though they have women as peers in the workplace.

Wow. This would be a classic example of "mansplaining." (Also "concern trolling").

Mr. Prager thinks he knows better than women themselves what will make them happy. In his view, women are too stoopid to know their own minds, so they need him to mansplain how to conduct their sex lives, as well as their professional and romantic lives. I don't even know what to say about that degree of arrogance, except "Fuck that noise." Asshole. (I am in an obstreperous mood at the moment!)

Archived