IGNORED

Another questionable adoption blog-SHE FOUND US UPDATE

Milly-Molly-Mandy

She wrote about antibiotics and never finishing them:

"We also aren't big on loading our kids up with medicines and antibiotics just because they have a runny nose, sore throat or fever. Ear infections are the exception. I mean that is some serious pain. Our kids have great immune systems and can fight the infection themselves, but if I suspect an ear infection I will take them to the dr. to get an antibiotic just to kind of jump start and hurry the process along. We don't even finish them. And in twelve years and 9 kids we've only had a handful of times- if that -that we've needed a prescription."

FYI if you don't finish antibiotics, bacterial infections can build resistance to them and the antibiotics will no longer work on that particular Bacteria. It's also really important to make sure all antibiotic courses are completed, to make sure you eradicate the bug completely.

It's because of people like her that people like me acquire infections that are resistant to everything except one or two IV antibiotics. Then I'm stuck in the hospital for the better of two weeks.

FINISH YOUR DAMN ANTIBIOTICS!!!

Add me to that list! FINISH ALL ANTIBIOTICS YOU TWIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, I think her blog is reasonable. She was fairly likable until she got butt hurt over our comments. I dont agree with everything she said on the blog especially about not finishing antibiotics. But, she is overall not someone I would snark on. Everyone should finish their antibiotics. Or, you could wind up with chronic ear infections with bacteria that is antibiotic resistant. Its hard to culture the bacteria behind the ear drum so you will more then likely end up on IV antibiotics and in need of tubes.

I suffered chronic ear infections last year and also as a child. I had tubes twice as a kid. I have bad scaring over the ear drums because the infections. It also caused mild to moderate hearing loss. I am lucky that hearing aids have advanced in technology. I am able to wear a behind the ear one (bone conducting) that lets me use my natural hearing. It just amplifies what people say. Its also a blue tooth device that I have linked to my phone. It also lets me listen to my ipod without having to wear earbuds.

If her big concern about ear infections has to do with the kids being in pain, wouldn't it make more sense to get them a painkiller instead of antibiotics? As someone who has had problems with my ears for most of my life, I will say that just because the ears are hurting doesn't mean that they're actually infected. It might be that a decongestant with painkiller would solve the problem. Getting unnecessary antibiotics and especially not finishing them are really bad ideas :?

If her big concern about ear infections has to do with the kids being in pain, wouldn't it make more sense to get them a painkiller instead of antibiotics? As someone who has had problems with my ears for most of my life, I will say that just because the ears are hurting doesn't mean that they're actually infected. It might be that a decongestant with painkiller would solve the problem. Getting unnecessary antibiotics and especially not finishing them are really bad ideas :?

Most doctors dont hand out antibiotics like candy anymore.

Add me to that list! FINISH ALL ANTIBIOTICS YOU TWIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QFT!!! Take them even if you start to feel better. You know, because maybe the ANTIBIOTICS are doing theirJOB!

Oh my gosh. WIth a severe strep infection that is a great way to give them rhuematic fever and quite possibly a weakened heart. This is why SOTDRT is so dangerous, folks. She misunderstands how antibiotics work and confuses their action as an adjuvant, which *does* stimulate *some* immune functions. Really, all a short course of antibiotics does is weed out the common bacteria and leave the strongest ones.

Rheumatic fever is a big reason why you see gravestones for young adults prior to 1940's. When the heart was damaged by systemic repeat streptococcus (strep throat) the heart was so damaged that when the kids grew, their hearts couldn't sustain their adult bodies.

The other thing about antibiotics is that she's encouraging the evolution of drug-resistant strains by killing off the weakest ones while allowing the slightly stronger ones to survive and thrive. She's putting all of us in danger by not finishing antibiotics.

JHFC. What moron stops antibiotics? Now, granted, I am have mitral valve prolapse and it's been drilled into me to get to the doctor any time I have a fever in case I need antibiotics so I don't end up with acute bacterial endocarditis. So maybe I'm overreacting but I hope to God her children have no heart abnormalities...hell, if I'm hoping to God I'll hope to God she gains a shred of intelligence and finishes the antibiotics. Does it not occur to her that the doctors prescribe a certain amount and a certain timeframe for a reason? Idiot.

The antibiotics thing is so bizarre! EVERY SINGLE TIME my kids, my husband, or I have been on one, the doctors have made a point of saying finish it all. The BOTTLE even says finish it all. Who doesn't know this? As someone else pointed out, even my vet tells me to make the doggies finish it all! I can't imagine anyone not understanding this. However, I have a friend, who is a grown ass woman, who does not understand this. On several occasions, she's told me that she's feeling sick, but she has an antibiotic from a different time that she never finished, so she'll take it now. :shock: Why didn't you finish it the first time?? :naughty:

1. Finish the antibiotics, there's a reason you take them for how ever many days. Doctor's do pay attention to the dispensing directions why don't you?

2. I have 2 children. I love them more than I could express to you. I might have had more had I met their dad 10 years earlier, but I didn't. I had too many complications with the 2nd one to even think about having another.

3. I am glad you are treating your new daughters like your own. After reading the horror story of Hana Williams and her brother, some of my faith in international adoptions is restored. We were all strangers once now we are family is what I like to believe.

4. I'm still paying my college loans off (heck my kids might be paying them off after I die) but I don't regret one single penny. Other than a job for the federal government which just wanted me to breathe, my college degree was helpful in many ways and many jobs.

Have a good week.

People like that bitch are the reason I've known people who almost died from drug resistant bacterial infections. One of those was my former MIL who had that flesh eating bacteria, and the other reason why she got that infection was that her rheumatoid arthritis medicine weakened her immune system that made her more vulnerable to infections. After she managed to survive, she ended up wheelchair bound when before the infection, she was able to use a walker, as that's how severe her RA was.

The antibiotics thing is so bizarre! EVERY SINGLE TIME my kids, my husband, or I have been on one, the doctors have made a point of saying finish it all. The BOTTLE even says finish it all. Who doesn't know this? As someone else pointed out, even my vet tells me to make the doggies finish it all! I can't imagine anyone not understanding this. However, I have a friend, who is a grown ass woman, who does not understand this. On several occasions, she's told me that she's feeling sick, but she has an antibiotic from a different time that she never finished, so she'll take it now. :shock: Why didn't you finish it the first time?? :naughty:

Another reason why folks don't finish is not only because of feeling better but also side effects, namely due to natural flora (particulary the digestive tract) in the body being destroyed along with the bacterial infection as the antibiotic won't discriminate. The side effects aren't fun and yeah, it does make you want to stop so I guess that is also the reason they tell you to finish. You can take measures like probiotics to restore the flora balance and if all else fails, contact the doctor, but definitely don't just quit the treatment.

I suffered chronic ear infections last year and also as a child. I had tubes twice as a kid. I have bad scaring over the ear drums because the infections. It also caused mild to moderate hearing loss. I am lucky that hearing aids have advanced in technology. I am able to wear a behind the ear one (bone conducting) that lets me use my natural hearing. It just amplifies what people say. Its also a blue tooth device that I have linked to my phone. It also lets me listen to my ipod without having to wear earbuds.

Not making lite of your hearing loss, but that sounds very cool! (excuse the pun)

Not making lite of your hearing loss, but that sounds very cool! (excuse the pun)

It is cool!

• 1 year later...
Stalk: to read and comment upon a publicly viewable blog. HOLD ON! That's not what that word means. Stalk: to pursue obsessively and to the point of harassment. I don't think that really applies here.

To the blog writers: if you are reading here stop making blog posts about us and we will stop stalking discussing you. It's not really a difficult concept.

Did one of them actually use the word stalking?

Uyyyyy. This again.

Hey, if you're reading here, please keep this in mind: Unless you specifically take steps to restrict viewing of your posts, anyone can see them. People in Ethiopia who have Internet access can see them. People in China can probably see them, although the Internet is under state control there, so your site may be blocked. What's more, if what you post is interesting or bizarre or enraging or funny, and you decide to delete it, chances are that somebody has already screencapped it. If your blog's hosting site shuts down for good, there is probably an Internet archive someplace with copies of everything that you left open to the public.

Anybody can see. Anybody can discuss. Anybody can dig up old posts. The Internet/Web/whatever the cool kids are calling the online world these days has been one gigantic mostly-open conversation since I was a sproglet, and I can remember when monitors that showed more than one color were a cool and froody new thing!

The takeaway: If you can't stand the conversation, stay out of the planetwide common room.

I agree not finishing antibiotics is stupid, but I wanted ot chime in: my daughter's doc will not prescribe antibiotics for ear infections! At least not at first. I had chronic ear infections as a child and was on them constantly it seemed, so I was shocked when she told us that. She said the new guidelines (? I think that was the word) was a wait and see approach and that studies have shown that the vast majority of ear infections clear up on their own within a couple of days. Instead she prescribes a good decongestant and a pain reliever and a follow up visit. My daughter has only had a couple of ear infections and both times the no antibiotics/ decongestant and pain reliever approach worked just fine.

So, just an aside. :D

Wait....their blog is still up? I thought (sadly for me but understandably) it was now private??

Good, they got a clue.

"Googling keywords that describe sites like mine and seeing my site pop up in the results and clicking on it to see what it is and reading my totally open to the public site is JUST LIKE STALKING!!!!!" needs to be on an Internet Hissy Fit Bingo Board.

this has been quite interesting. And to chime in on the ear infection saga, Sevy has had chronic ear infections, and we had to change medications because she became resistant to one type. Thankfully the newer kind of medication seemed to kick everything in the butt. Sev and I were happy, since after that, she would have had to get tubes put in her ears.

We're still cautious every time she gets a runny nose and all of the classic signs of an ear infection. Even if Sev and I have hearing loss and we are just fine, we don't want Sevy to grow up dealing with all the crap we had to deal with. :)

So, Do finish your antibiotics!

End of my novella.

I think it's still private, yeah. I just googled it and accidentally wrote "lots of wangers", oops.

• 2 years later...

The last family picture on Facebook with the three adopted girls in it is dated April of last year.  Since then, there's been a family picture once a month posted in February, March, April, and May--none of which have any of the girls in them.  :tw_angry:

Please tell me they didn't get rid of their daughters and that there's some perfectly harmless reasonable explanation. 

Chronic ear infections is partly to blame for my Meniere's Disease. I kept getting them until my 20s

• 6 months later...

Late to the party, but I perused their Facebook page and found a little photo project where all nine of the bio kids' pictures are pinned to some chicken wire and presumably hung somewhere; no sign of the adopted girls there, nor in any of the monthly cover photos. :my_angry: Dare I keep scrolling?

Archived