IGNORED

Lady Lydia- Un-Charitable old witch

ladyamylynn

I agree with being able to say no, knowing how much you can and should give, having leisure time and being healthy, but there are things worth being burnt out for, you know? I've worked on campaigns for gay rights that have been exhausting but absolutely and utterly worth it, even if I would have killed for a shower and a grilled cheese at some points! The idea of not putting myself out for other people, of not contributing to my community and fighting injustice is foreign to me.

I think she's forgotten about Jesus and is just posting crazy now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She lost me at "Is your ironing caught up?" I haven't owned an iron in over 10 years.

I own an iron but I think in 18 years of living on my own its only been used a handful of times. This quote reminded me of my aunt telling me when she was first married, she used to iron the sheets and pillowcases!

I live alone and iron my sheets and pillowcases.... and most of my clothes. :oops:

But then, very few fabrics are iron-free here, and it is just the way "things are done". At least how my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, you get the picture, ALWAYS did it.

To push this thread in a different direction...I can tell you Cran that is isn't your fabrics that are non-iron, it's you laundry equipment. I "took" all my non-iron fabrics from the USA in a move to Europe. I can tell you wilthout a doubt that European and in particular German laundry euqipment wrinkles clothing. I have wrinkles on my wrinkles and fabrics that had never seen an iron are in the ironing basket now. It is how it's always been done over here, but I can tell you that three irons later....I don't iron sheets, or tee shirts or jeans in the USA but, I iron all of them here.

I agree with being able to say no, knowing how much you can and should give, having leisure time and being healthy, but there are things worth being burnt out for, you know? I've worked on campaigns for gay rights that have been exhausting but absolutely and utterly worth it, even if I would have killed for a shower and a grilled cheese at some points! The idea of not putting myself out for other people, of not contributing to my community and fighting injustice is foreign to me.

I think she's forgotten about Jesus and is just posting crazy now.

Yeah, where is Jesus in all this? I'd forgotten where he said "make sure you have caught up on your correspondence before helping anyone, and even then, check their bank balance first".

At the moment I am so fucking busy it's unreal, building for a strike, anti privatisation campaigns, loads of everything. Our house is a tip as we're all gone every night at meetings, every weekend at demos, and although I live in a dump I can't do anything about it as I have three conflicting meetings tonight after an 8 hr workday, two of which I really need to attend. Feeling less than no sympathy for "Lady Lydia". I get home and fall into bed, and correspondence, my fucking arse.

Oh, we all should start using Lady Lydia's arguments to get away from helping others.

- Yes grandmother, I would love to drive you to your doctor's appointment, but unfortunately I have a button to sew, so I need to make that my priority...

Uhm...

Really Anne? :shock:

That is just crazy - do european manufactures want us to earn a reputation for being hardworking? I want an US-washingmachine NOW!!!!!!!!

Really! My laundry equipement history has been US top load washer with US large capacity gas dryer to a Meile washer with an electric dryer and an outdoor clothes pole, but I live where the weather is influenced by the north sea. Sunny days are few and far between. My laundry grows mold and mushrooms if left on the line to dry. My word, my tights have wrinkles. I think it's a combination of things. Very long cycles with little water and small capacity. The fabrics really need plenty of warm water to release the wrinkles. Then the European machines wring the clothes out far too much. Then the wrinkled nearly dry clothes go to a small capacity dryer that seems to just set the wrinkles in stone. (if I don't wring out the clothes...the dryer will run all day!)

With the US combo, jeans, knits, tee shirts, sheets, and most dress shirts come out slightly damp but if you hang them up straight out of the dryer you'll never need an iron. Hence, so of the comments here that some ladies don't even own an iron. Here, even my husbands shorts get too wrinkled for comfort. I never thought I'd be ironing underwear.

Now on the downside....yes, US machines use more water, but they are higher capacity. I run twice the number of loads of wash in Europe because of capacity problems. I think the savings are lost because of the small load size. ... AND yes, US dryers are not as energy efficient as my European dryer. But 15 minutes in an US gas dryer and straight to a hanger means no ironing. I think my need to iron here cancels out the energy savings from my dryer.

Finally, laundry in Europe for my family means one or two loads everyday all week long. In the US, laundry day is Monday. It is usually all washed, dryed and folded or hung up in about 4 hours. The short wash cycles with plenty of water and the short drying times are much more suited toward my sense of time management. In Europe, it is never ending and very time consuming and wasteful of my time and effort as as SAHM.

The title of this thread captures her nature perfectly.

It makes me furious how these people profess to be the 'real' Christians, who refuse to believe certain parts of the bible leave any room for alternate interpretation (like the bits about gay people), but they totally ignore the myriad passages exhorting followers of Christ to help others, be a light, to encourage others through actions rather than words, to not judge others and so forth. They are so selfish and un-Christian.

"Lady" Lydia is a joyous example of why pride is the worst of the deadly sins. She thinks she's so much bloody better than people who don't dress and live like her. I used to read her blog but the pink and condescension is too much to bear.

Part of what she said should totally be turned into a Tea Party Jesus picture.

I can see what she's trying to get at....dont' spread yourself too thin and get your own work done before trying to help others. However, some of those things that are suppose to take priority seems dumb. So what if the kitchen has some dirty dishes? Or there's some laundry still needing to be done? If I had a friend who really needed me, emotional support or help with new furniture....I'm not going to think too hard before going over there. Everyone's standards of what needs to get done is different. However, Lady Lydia seems to think one has to finish all their household chores, then take some "leisure" time sipping tea etc before one can consider helping friends and neighbors. I agree that everyone should take time out for self (looking at your, Terri Maxwell!), but it's also selfish to place all of your own priorities ahead of everyone else's. There's always something you can clean at home, that doesn't mean you can't help others when situations call for it.

Somebody should try lighting a candle and chanting her name three times... Lady Lydia... Lady Lydia... Lady Lydia...

Now that would make for a scary Halloween!

Wait, so I tried it, and nothing happened. I used a pink candle I made from beeswax (of course I raised those bees myself, and the organic roses they pollinated), and scented from rose essence I made myself, from said roses. I put the doily on my head, donned the lace edged apron I made in my free time from hand loomed flax (Ladybug has such a heart for homemaking, you should see her at her darling little loom!), and stood in the bathroom, lights out:

Lady Lydia!

Lady Lydia!

Lady Lydia!

Nothing. Where did I go wrong? Is it because my bathroom isn't clean enough?

Wait, is that a Cotton Candy Pink Lee Press On embedded in my cheek?

Wait, so I tried it, and nothing happened. I used a pink candle I made from beeswax (of course I raised those bees myself, and the organic roses they pollinated), and scented from rose essence I made myself, from said roses. I put the doily on my head, donned the lace edged apron I made in my free time from hand loomed flax (Ladybug has such a heart for homemaking, you should see her at her darling little loom!), and stood in the bathroom, lights out:

Nothing. Where did I go wrong? Is it because my bathroom isn't clean enough?

Wait, is that a Cotton Candy Pink Lee Press On embedded in my cheek?

OMG, too funny! The truly scary part is that she doesn't live too far away from me. Oregon seems to have its fair share of fundies. Lady Lydia, Raquel, aka god-s daughter, the Harris family, even Kim from LIAS has family here!

Guest Anonymous

Longtime lurker here...

Have been reading some posts that I wanted to reply to so I decided to register. I am not a fundie nor a recovering fundie. I do consider myself to me be a very conservative Christian. I haven't read many of the blogs that everyone posts about, and in fact many of them I had never even heard of until reading this forum.

I like to play devil's advocate, hence my username. Evidently others do or have before since the username (without a number) was already taken.

So, as devil's advocate, don't you see a difference between volunteering to help the less fortunate and needy vs. volunteering to help those "who are able bodied and can look after themselves, have relatives nearby, or who maybe even have more money than you do and could perhaps buy more conveniences which would help cope with the load of their own housekeeping" that this lydia person is writing about?

I can understand why she would get snarked on so badly if she was writing about putting leisure time above helping those who truly needed help because of a physical condition or some other legitimate reason. But sometimes people who are able-bodied or who have relatives nearby are just plain lazy and like to seek out others to help them when they really don't need any help, they are just too lazy to do it themselves. Some people actually feed off the attention they get by acting needy and helpless. And perhaps these same people have relatives nearby and the relatives have stopped helping because they know the person's true colors and that they don't actually need help.

Thoughts?

If she had meant that, she would have written a post about attention seekers or psi-vamps.

As it is, this post does not stand isolated, but with many others written with similar sentiments about helping others.

So, no, I am very sure she didn't, in the first place, mean those lazy/needy energy suckers.

OMG, too funny! The truly scary part is that she doesn't live too far away from me. Oregon seems to have its fair share of fundies. Lady Lydia, Raquel, aka god-s daughter, the Harris family, even Kim from LIAS has family here!

Wait, I live in the same state ask Her Pinkness?!?! Uh-Oh. Better watch my back tonight! Oregon has a little bit of every kind of crazy, though, so this does not surprise me.

Edited for a riffle

Just had to post when I saw Lady Lydia's screed about abortion-breast cancer. Let it be known that I have never had an abortion, gave birth to two lovely children within wedlock, and have been a breast cancer survivor for the last six years.

My bio mother also had breast cancer, from 2000 until 2008, She had three children (married) by my father (I, the youngest), then re-married and had two younger daughters.

My mother would have NEVER had an abortion for ANY reason, came from an ethnic background which reveres children and family (too bad my dad didn't!), thereby I loathe ANYone who associates a simple surgical procedure with a life-threatening disease. Oh, and by the way, my dear mother didn't make it. She passed Oct. 1, 2008. If there is any karma in this life, I decree that the forces of Kaiulea and all her fire goddesses rain down on the heads of the ignorant on behalf of my mother and all breast cancer survivors.

"Lady" :lol: Lydia and her ilk don't care about the facts, and certainly never let them get in the way of a good screed. Abortion causes breast cancer, contraception causes abortion, blah, blah. They would not be swayed by any amount of scientific evidence to the opposite of this or any other ridiculous thing they believe. They like living in la-la land.

I'm sorry about the loss of your mother and hope you are doing okay.

Thank you, Austin! I just finished four weeks of daily radiation treatments for the metatastic tumor that is lodged in my left collarbone. I since had a smaller tumor removed from my left breast, but have the collarbone one also in the same side of my neck, too. The neck tumor is a tough customer, recently it began to have pain, and had to use pain patches for relief. The way the nerves, arteries, etc. in that area makes it damned near impossible to consider surgery, so they're hoping radiation will take the swelling down so they can resume chemo in another attempt to kill it off. In many way, I'm reminded of Sigourney Weaver in "Aliens" where first she's horrified she's become the host of a vile creature, then later learns to live with it and its quirks. This tumor has bested so many types of chemo, even the most recent regimen I had, the literature for the meds read: "For patients whom other medications have not worked".

Ringing endorsement for that brand, eh? Anyway, I'm hanging in there, getting incontinent (urine, not the other, Thank God!), trying all my home remedies to keep from coughing my bloody head off. Because of the location of the radiation, my throat has become somewhat impaired and I nearly choke on my own spit if I swallow it wrong. I am an empty-nester, have two children and one new grandson, born last June. The kids and friends have been supporting me in my cancer journey and I have wonderful staff at my hospital. I even outlasted my cancer doctor, who retired also last June...

She lost me at "Is your ironing caught up?" I haven't owned an iron in over 10 years.

I'm supposed to iron now? Shit, I thought I was successful at doing my laundry if nothing got stolen from my load! (To date: three tee-shirts, a pair of sneakers, a pair of *moderately expensive* awesome skinny jeans, six pairs of panties, and FSM only knows where all my missing socks end up...)

That said, I definitely get "rest" and "me" time, especially since having time every day to just sit and breathe and think in a room alone (sometimes for 30+ minutes, if I'm having a bad day) is one of my more successful coping strategies for my anxiety disorder. On the other hand, one time I took a friend to the ER in the middle of pulling an all-nighter, and spent two hours there with her, waiting for a diagnosis.

Lady Lydia makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

Really sorry to hear that you two are dealing with such serious health problems. Hope you get better very soon!

But Fire, yu shouldn't complain: The loss of your clothes was a punishment from God because you dress in such a manly way. Skinny jeans and sneakers, my gosh!

Devils Advocate,

I think that part of the problem with Lydia is that you cannot really assume that she makes any sense. She parrots lots of ideas from the Vision Forum type of ideology, but I don't think she really has much understanding about it. I get the impression that she's not the brightest bulb in the box, and I often feel sorry for her when she tries to engage critics. I tend to leave her alone because I don't think she's well equipped to deal with criticism which she does by way of moralism.

This particular blog post is typical Lydia, and I didn't find it to be too bad. But consider that those commenting here are not doing so in a vacuum but come to the topic from a long history of the strange and often offensive things that Lydia has said in the past.

The first post that I read there a number of years ago was all about how to get rid of a lonely old lady or widow that's come to your home for companionship, but it's late in the afternoon, and you need to make dinner. She gave tips on how to, politely and with appropriate Southern Belle charm, conveniently give this old lady the boot. I would ask the woman to stay for dinner if she felt like helping me peel potatoes or snap beans or even fold dishtowels for me as I worked on prepping the meal.

The second post I read was how Lydia was offended at the way elderly women dressed poorly at the local farmers market. She said her husband was offended at how terrible they looked, having no care for their appearance. Their shorts that they wore looked like big adult diapers, and he was offended. I guess neither has been around the elderly, and perhaps many of them had physical problems making shorts a comfortable and manageable choice for them. Perhaps they were on a fixed income and could not afford a better outfit? I'm always glad to see elderly women at such places, staying active and socializing, and I would think that a perfectly appropriate place to wear your schmatzas would be the farmers market on a Saturday morning.

Lydia has offered us other gems of wisdom, such as instructing us that the plights of slave women in the old South were not as bad as everyone has said. She taught us all that African slave women stayed home in their huts and homeschooled their children while their slave husbands went out to work. I've never heard anything so ignorant, even from the old Christian Identity folks or the neoconfederates.

But the icing on the cake for me, I think, was the way she carried on about how poorly dressed the women were on TV as they were filmed fleeing from Hurricane Katrina. Lydia felt that it was inappropriate, in the heat and humidity of Louisiana, faced with losing everything, that these women who were trying to get out of harms way did not dress for the cameras. They didn't wear dresses and their appearances were unkempt.

I never went back to Lydia's blog after reading these things. I have much better things to do with my time, though commenting on FJ is a nice and quiet thing to do when I'm unable to sleep because it is quiet activity. I have read Lydia's comments wherein she tries to shame critics and “inform†them of their errors. That is also usually ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't really read anything from Lydia without considering the source. She is not really worth much of my consideration. She may mean well, but she reminds me of an argumentative small child. I generally leave her alone, and I certainly do not expect her to make any kind of logical sense.

Archived