IGNORED

Doug verbally spanks us about Halloween.

Mompom

The John Calvin reference is wonderfully shoehorned in.

"I need a John Calvin significant date here!"

"But Doug, John Calvin's 500th anniversary was in 2009. He didn't do much of significance in 1511. Being two years old, you know."

"So he turned two? That's significant! We'll commemorate that. Perfect."

"Except his birthday was in July, and this article is about Halloween. It's not even an anniversary."

"OK...his conception! Count nine months back from July, you get the end of October. Coincidence? I think not!"

Doug is literally asking people to commemorate the fact that it's been 502 years since it was 9 months before John Calvin was born. By which logic I should be celebrating my 29-year 9-month-pre-birth birthday today.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The John Calvin reference is wonderfully shoehorned in.

"I need a John Calvin significant date here!"

"But Doug, John Calvin's 500th anniversary was in 2009. He didn't do much of significance in 1511. Being two years old, you know."

"So he turned two? That's significant! We'll commemorate that. Perfect."

"Except his birthday was in July, and this article is about Halloween. It's not even an anniversary."

"OK...his conception! Count nine months back from July, you get the end of October. Coincidence? I think not!"

Doug is literally asking people to commemorate that fact that it's been 502 years since it was 9 months before John Calvin was born. By which logic I should be celebrating my 29-year 9-month-pre-birth birthday today.

Not to mention giving us a lovely image of John Calvin's parents making the beast with two backs.

I can't keep myself from picturing them in goofy plastic Halloween masks, rather like the ones that the characters in Breakfast at Tiffany's shoplift:

audrey-hepburn-mask-breakfast-tiffanys.png

Doug is literally asking people to commemorate that fact that it's been 502 years since it was 9 months before John Calvin was born. By which logic I should be celebrating my 29-year 9-month-pre-birth birthday today.

Or in other words, 502 years and 9 months since Calvin's parents did it. What a weird thing for Mr. Christian to commemorate.

You're not? :mrgreen:

And I assue John Calvin was conceived in the missionary position. :lol:

Or in other words, 502 years and 9 months since Calvin's parents did it. What a weird thing for Mr. Christian to commemorate.

It's an interesting way of honouring Calvin, certainly. I'd rather be honoured with a statue or a scholarship; having people refer to my parents getting down to it isn't my idea of a posthumous tribute.

Seen another way, of course, this makes perfect sense: if you genuinely believe that a life begins at conception then you naturally would start treating that date as just as significant as birth. It must be the uncertainty and the slight ickiness of the whole thing that stops fundies from doing it more often.

I would not mind getting spanked by Dougie. Unfortunately I think he is kinda hot. When he gets tired of spanking my bottom and lecturing me about the ebils of H'Ween, Joshua Titus can take over for him. :shock:

Buzzard, you're not the only one. Doug's writing is pompous, inflated, and full of errors; it betrays his lack of real intelligence.

The scariest thing you can do this Halloween is to get on your knees as a mother and father and pray that the Lord will send you many children...

How is someone supposed to be a mother and a father?

I just spoke to my elderly father and he told me that their church - the fundie one I grew up in - would be having an alternative Halloween with games and stuff for the kids. Okay...I get that. Then he said church was celebrating Reformation Day. Aaaaaarrrrrrgggh!

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, fundamentalism was different. No drinking, smoking, movies, dancing, etc. However, birth control was never discussed and people had around 4-5 kids. No kid collecting. Very few people were skirts only and headcoverings, and no homeschooling. Christian schools maybe. It sounds like things are changing in my little town! I have to find out if the pastor is shilling for Vision Forum.

Buzzard, you're not the only one. Doug's writing is pompous, inflated, and full of errors; it betrays his lack of real intelligence.

How is someone supposed to be a mother and a father?

The pregnant man?

It's a bit rich claiming that the "world" wants us to be fearful, since the whole fundie belief system's based on fear of just about anything, not to mention the whole rapture culture. Someone might be projecting.

So what do you think Doug and Be-all do to celebrate the conception of John Calvin?

Corporal chastisement? :puke-front:

Oh wait, on the other thread, they said that was a character on M*A*S*H.

Whatever they do, I'm sure it's Biblical.

Archived