IGNORED

Doug verbally spanks us about Halloween.

Mompom

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

visionforum.com/news/onlineemail/vision-forum/2011/10/24_halloween/

If I had a Halloween party to go to this year. I think I'd go as Capt. Dougie. I think I could pull it off, I am 5'2 after all. I just need a good wig, a paste on salt and pepper beard. The only question is would I go dressed up as conference Dougie with a tweed vest and bowtie or would I go as anaconda hunter Dougie?

Capt. Dougie is such a tool

With this in mind, I offer you the five “scariest†things you can do this Halloween:

The scariest thing you can do this Halloween is to not make light of evil. Halloween was conceived in evil and has remained a celebration that uses children to promote a fascination with darkness and superstitious fear. Simultaneously, it makes light of things that the Bible describes as evil. Stand against such things, and the world will find you very scary indeed. The fear of the Lord makes men turn from evil (Proverbs 16:6).

The scariest thing you can do this Halloween is to not be fearful. The media wants you to be afraid of everything from overpopulation to global warming. The politicians want you to be afraid of the economy and political instability. God wants you to do what is morally right, trust Him completely, and never be gripped by an ungodly spirit of fear. You can place your trust and hope for this nation in the King of Kings. Jesus said: “And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him†(Luke 12:4–5). Believe this, and you will be light to the world.

The scariest thing you can do this Halloween is to completely skip Halloween and remember Reformation Day. It was 494 years ago that Martin Luther nailed his world-changing 95 Theses to the door of the Wittenberg church. These theses included rebukes to ungodly fear and superstition. 502 years ago, sometime near October 31, a baby named John Calvin was conceived who would dedicate his life to eradicating an ungodly fear of superstitious beliefs and proclaiming the gospel of grace. His emphasis on reformation, revival, and the sufficiency of Scripture had such far-reaching implications for nations like the United States that he has been described by Christian and secular scholars alike as the true founding father of America. The Reformers did something that was very scary to the world of their day. They stood against all forms of dark superstitions which grip the minds and souls of men. It was their emphasis on the fear of the Lord and the wisdom of Holy Scripture that was used by God to liberate untold numbers of men and women. But to remember the Reformers instead of Halloween is very scary to the world. “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom†(Proverbs 9:10).

The scariest thing you can do this Halloween is to refuse to watch or allow your children to watch any of the toxic Halloween and horror films emerging from Hollywood. America’s fascination with ungodly fear has made horror the most popular and fastest-growing film genre among youth. When parents allow their children to toy with this genre, they promote ungodly fear, and they contribute to the fear-factories in Hollywood that prey upon the youth of our culture. Say “no†to Hollywood horror and you will be dangerously scary to the media elite. “Fear ye not me? saith the Lord: will ye not tremble at my presence....?†(Jeremiah 5:22).

The scariest thing you can do this Halloween is to get on your knees as a mother and father and pray that the Lord will send you many children who will fear God, not man — children who will especially shun the glorification of witchcraft, the bondage of ungodly fear, and the “cute-ification†of evil that is promoted through holidays like Halloween. Cultures that toy with evil end up being cultures of death. The Christian response is to be a people of life. That means babies. It means fearing God by honoring His command to “be fruitful and multiply.†It means remembering that the Scripture describes children as a “blessing†and a “reward.†Raise children that fear God more than man, and that will be answer enough to our Halloween-and darkness-obsessed culture; for if you trust God over your womb and commit your children to a holy education, you will be very scary to the modern world. “Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord†(Psalm 34:11).

These sorts of posts are making their way around FB amongst the fundie crowd. So funny that he says the "world" is living in fear. Like VFers aren't afraid? HA! They are scared of everything! EVERYTHING. Like little kids in witch costumes, rock and roll, gay lovers, and the dastardly public schools. Of course VFers aren't scared of things that actually hurt you like guns, swords, war, and global climate change. But you know, God LOVES guns!

I love the fact that the picture he uses is from The Man Who Knew Too Much.

It is not a horror film, but a thriller in which the villains are quite human, and, as is often the case in Hithchcock films, seem so very nice, at first. But, behind their benign facade, they are dangerous political extremists whose "front" is a church.

The parents of a kidnapped child (Dad's a doctor -- y'know, one of those scientific types -- Mom's a singer who has shown her legs and cleavage in public and worked for a living!) need to pull it together and save him (another Hitchcock trademark -- average folks who need to face evil).

Oh, and the child (an only child, because the parents have been concerned that they could not afford another yet) is a boy who knows a lot of science and anatomy, asks all kinds of embarrassing questions, gets kidnapped when he is submissive and obedient, then weathers the ordeal and helps in his own rescue, by taking no shit from the adults around him.

Oh, and a little totally secular tune, about how we can't totally control a child's future, is a big part of how his life is saved.

Not a good choice, Dougie -- perhaps you are The Man Who Knows Too Little.

This goes right along with VF's official exegesis, if you could call it that. A while back I did an analysis of the verses they used to support their "educational mandate" and so on and discovered that, for example, a passage lamenting how much the generations growing up in the Promised Land had backslidden was being cited to support that bizarre notion that each generation causes the next generation to become better spiritually. It's always Opposite Day in Doug's world.

Dougie certainly likes to rule by fear doesn't he?

He's talking about not being fearful? When all he does is tell people to be afraid of absolutely everythind? Makes no sense. Only someone truly fearful can decide halloween is about evil. It's way more about dressing up and candy:)

Reads this as I write down my list of Halloween candies to pick up at the store later today.

I know in my area (I don't know if it's a Southern thing) that some of the Baptist churches have a "Hallelujah" night where they spend time in prayer at church and also have games and food for the kids instead of them going out to treat or treat. I think that's nice, whatever floats your boat.

I have seen the huge placards in some yards though, decrying Halloween and those who participate as being mini devils. Oh noes!

On a serious note, I am Catholic and one thing that bugs me is Dougie's reference of the Culture of Life. I find many Christians using this strictly to speak against abortion as Dougie does in his letter by saying the CoL is about babies. Ummm, well yes it's about babies, but it's also about the elderly and teens and Muslims and homosexuals and the poor and the disabled and people of all religious faiths and those in slavery, etc. It's about ALL people, hence it's about the CULTURE OF LIFE for all, and yet too often we forget that nugget [and yes, I know even in my own Church some do the same].

I just watched "The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" with my kids. Our souls are doomed, doooomed I say.

I love the fact that the picture he uses is from The Man Who Knew Too Much.

It is not a horror film, but a thriller in which the villains are quite human, and, as is often the case in Hithchcock films, seem so very nice, at first. But, behind their benign facade, they are dangerous political extremists whose "front" is a church.

The parents of a kidnapped child (Dad's a doctor -- y'know, one of those scientific types -- Mom's a singer who has shown her legs and cleavage in public and worked for a living!) need to pull it together and save him (another Hitchcock trademark -- average folks who need to face evil).

Oh, and the child (an only child, because the parents have been concerned that they could not afford another yet) is a boy who knows a lot of science and anatomy, asks all kinds of embarrassing questions, gets kidnapped when he is submissive and obedient, then weathers the ordeal and helps in his own rescue, by taking no shit from the adults around him.

Oh, and a little totally secular tune, about how we can't totally control a child's future, is a big part of how his life is saved.

Not a good choice, Dougie -- perhaps you are The Man Who Knows Too Little.

I hadn't looked at the link before I read your post, but great catch, thoughtful! Not only does the boy help in his own rescue, but his mom's fame as a singer is a big part of it, too. If anyone hadn't seen The Man Who Knew Too Much, then you need to look for it on Turner Classic Movies or add it to your Netflix queue.

I hadn't looked at the link before I read your post, but great catch, thoughtful! Not only does the boy help in his own rescue, but his mom's fame as a singer is a big part of it, too. If anyone hadn't seen The Man Who Knew Too Much, then you need to look for it on Turner Classic Movies or add it to your Netflix queue.

I forgot to add that his Mom was famous in her own right, which is important to the child's survival -- thanks for catching that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049470/

It's so not a VF-approved movie!

These sorts of posts are making their way around FB amongst the fundie crowd. So funny that he says the "world" is living in fear. Like VFers aren't afraid? HA! They are scared of everything! EVERYTHING. Like little kids in witch costumes, rock and roll, gay lovers, and the dastardly public schools. Of course VFers aren't scared of things that actually hurt you like guns, swords, war, and global climate change. But you know, God LOVES guns!

Exactly! I've never seen a group that is as fearful of life in general as the fundie crowd.

I'm of Celtic heritage and I love Halloween. Having said that, it made me sad the other day when I asked a 6 y.o. boy who he was going to be for Halloween and he said Freddy Krueger. And yes, he's seen those movies. That scares me when little kids are exposed to movies that are way too violent for where they are developmentally. I won't watch those movies.

Happy Halloween everyone.

Great movie but then anything by Alfred Hitchcock is great. He knew how to do suspense without a lot of gore.

Well, the Dougster would love to be my neighbor-snort. I am an ebil public school teacher. My classroom looks like Halloween threw up with all the assorted art the kids made this month. Because of my dog, my cousin and I will be sitting on my front porch passing out candy. Because we are us, we will be drinking margaritas while we pass out evil Halloween candy. My cousin will be dressed as Jack Sparrow and I will be dressed as a Stepford Wife.

Isn't Dougie being antibiblical and promoting man worship here? Not that this is new for him ;)

But Martin Luther and John Calvin weren't Jesus. I try to make comparisons in my head and the closest I can get to John Calvin is Felix Dzerzhinsky.

I have a lot of respect for Dzerzhinsky (granted, that's contentious) but the thing is, these were men. Humans. Talk about taking your eyes off the prize. These were people serving a particular ideal, not the embodiment of the ideal itself.

Why does Dougie not write about Jesus and who he loved and what he did? If I believed in Jesus I would be obsessed by that!

Archived