IGNORED

Trunk or Treat bans "cross gender" costumes

ADoyle90815

You know, this just makes me want to take my son out in his Civil War duds. Which happen to be a gender appropriate (for that time period anyways) DRESS for little boys. Too bad its not happening in my neck of the woods. I'd SO show up w/ my kid dressed like that and if they refused me, I'd flip out on em. But that's just me talking at 2 am when I've been sewing for literally 6 hours straight.

If I had the money for a ticket to Utah, I'd crash the party dressed as Frank-N-Furter. But would that be crossdressing? Hmmm...

Huh. My 2 year old girl is dressing in a boy's pirate costume, because I felt the "girl" pirate costume was overly sexualized (velvet v-neck? in a 3T size? no thank you). Guess she wouldn't be welcome.

OMG, I am possibly going as Bob Ross. Seriously, how can Bob Ross offend anyone? (for the youngies, he is the painter with the afro from PBS who paints "happy little trees...")

Thats it,take all creativity and choices away from kids. You children will never be anything but followers. That's ok, they will be good at taking orders at Mc D's.

To me it's kind of a big Meh.

It's a private org's party. They can make the rule. If enough people disagree, they'll skip the party and there won't really be one.

If it were a town-wide rule that would be different, but this is a purely optional event.

You know, this just makes me want to take my son out in his Civil War duds. Which happen to be a gender appropriate (for that time period anyways) DRESS for little boys. Too bad its not happening in my neck of the woods. I'd SO show up w/ my kid dressed like that and if they refused me, I'd flip out on em. But that's just me talking at 2 am when I've been sewing for literally 6 hours straight.

Ha, you would explode their little pea sized minds.

"Sorry, we don't allow cross-dressing, so your son can't be wearing a dress."

"I'm sorry, but my son is wearing Civil War era boys' clothes. He is wearing gender appropriate clothing for only 150 years ago."

*Fundie minds with no sense of history explode*

*ilovetchotchkes enters with her son and get to keep ALL the candy*

OMG, I am possibly going as Bob Ross. Seriously, how can Bob Ross offend anyone? (for the youngies, he is the painter with the afro from PBS who paints "happy little trees...")

Thats it,take all creativity and choices away from kids. You children will never be anything but followers. That's ok, they will be good at taking orders at Mc D's.

I remember him! I loved his "happy little trees!" Is he still on the air? Does anyone remember when Bill Cosby had that show where he would draw? I think it was before his Cosby Show days because I would watch it in the mornings before I went to my baby-sitter's house (ie, before I started school so that had to be pre-1985.)

I <3 you. Bob Ross spellbinds me.

The article says that it's NOT church policy, but Bishop Dennis "Dumbshit" Toone thought it was.

This is so typical of Utah, either the church doesn't have a policy, or the policy is nowhere near as strict as some people would have it, so the legislature or the local members feel like they have to go one up on the church.

Oh yeah, and if the Church Handbook of Instructions Volume 1 was available to everyone to look at (and not just the bishopric), then people could go there and look for themselves and say, "yeah, well, it doesn't say 'no crossdressing.'" Jeebus, save me from your followers.

The idea of dressing up in gender appropriate historic costume does make me laugh. Fundie minds would absolutely implode when having to think that much! If I was a guy, I'd be encouraged to dress in a traditional Ming dynasty costume when it was appropriate for guys to have long hair and dress in flowing robes hahaha. Or yeah, if I had a little boy, I could dress him in traditional custom for boys in the 19th century and see them squirm around that. It's sometimes too easy.....

That's brilliant. My costume this year is Indiana Jones. Indy would be far too cool and not nearly religious enough to go to their party, so it's their loss, really. The funny thing is that if the party was intended to attract non-members in the hopes of recruiting them, an announcement like that would have the opposite effect. Just as well, probably.

I SWEAR To you all--MY Church takes 'em as they come! No preaching, no "unacceptable" costumes--ALL are welcome. ALL get chili and hot dogs and desert AND all the candy haul too!

You.are.my.hero. We love Bob Ross in my house and watch him on PBS (every Tuesday and Thursday at 9:30 PM in my area). My stepson has the DVDs.

I remember him! I loved his "happy little trees!" Is he still on the air? Does anyone remember when Bill Cosby had that show where he would draw? I think it was before his Cosby Show days because I would watch it in the mornings before I went to my baby-sitter's house (ie, before I started school so that had to be pre-1985.)

Sadly, Bob Ross died of lymphoma in 1995. Lots of PBS stations still air his shows, though.

I could be wrong about this, but you may be thinking of "Picture Pages" and they may have been shown on The Electric Company. I've tried to look this up on wikipedia and on the IMDB and haven't found out whether "Picture Pages" was ever part of The Electric Company or not, but they were known to use segments from previous seasons on the show.

Picture Pages was a random filler I believed started for one of the major networks that showed between Saturday Morning Cartoons, sort of like Schoolhouse Rock. I remember that Cosby showed you cool stuff then told you where to go buy the books, my parents never bought them for us :( Picture Pages made me sad :lol:

Yeah for Happpy Little Trees!!!!!!!!!!

And I have a gown for my son for a Renaissance costume, so I could get yelled at too :) Now I really want a full velvet gown for a noble boy costume.

Haha, I love it.

Archived