IGNORED

Oh noes: Daughters to Have Equal Right to British Throne!

Doomed Harlottt

I have a bit of an obsession with the British monarchy. Historically, at least. Beyond Victoria I don't have much interest. Probably because it's all so much closer to modern times and my interest is from a historical perspective. Anyway.

I'm glad to hear it, though. It's good to watch archaic systems reinvent themselves.

As for the fundies and their dislike of the situation, it's none of their business, really, if they're not British citizens. They don't have to agree since it has no affect on them. Except, of course, the fact that it gives them more to fight against in their determination to make all women second class citizens of the world with no rights of their own. Fortunately, I don't honestly see that happening so they can rage against the world all they want. The world obviously doesn't agree.

When these changes were mooted a while back, I was unsure as to whether I supported them - not because women are inferior monarchs or Catholics are intent on destroying our nation (obviously), but because the central and defining aspect of monarchy is that it isn't fair (in the strict sense) and so any conversation about such alterations would inevitably involve a wider and more damaging discussion about fairness.

As it turns out, however, I was completely wrong - they managed to have the conversation quickly and make the change without any fuss at all, so I'd call that a win for everyone. Except princes who have older sisters, of course.

So Queen Victoria, who married for love, bore 9 (?) Children, treated Albert with respect and wore widow's weeds for 40 years after his death, was not a normal woman?

Archived