IGNORED

A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Waste

Burris

I vaguely remember high school science classes. I was one of those students that did better with traditional approach to science classes. I didn't like too much bells and whistles in my classes. Our school would sometimes get creative with their coursework which I never learned much from. I thought chemistry labs and dissections were good supplement to the concepts we were learning but didn't like some of the more "creative" project we did. To me, science was pretty interesting without trying to inject popular culture or colorful art projects into it.

That said, by the time I started clinicals in med school, I was ready to welcome more creative science classes. College and med school science lectures were, for the most part, sit and take notes. I think I was sick of sitting in a lecture hall at that point LOL.

As for the OP's fundie lady....it doesn't sound like her science project was appropriate for a 13 year old. True, alot of public schools have colorful projects to teach non-art subjects. However, the project she described was more fitting for a 5 year old than a 13 year old. At my public school, when we had art projects for classes like science, we were still expected to do research and pop out papers about what we learned. The artistic aspect was to reinforce what we learn, and also to make it more interesting. This fundie lady is truly an odd ball if she thought this was rigorous enough for a middle schooler. I feel particularly bad for her daughters. How can she say it's not important for girls to get an education since they'll be mothers if she seems to think homeschooling is part of a mother's job?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I taught an astronomy field trip this morning and the classroom teacher uses nachos. When I was a kid, mother made nine pizzas or pancakes. Now mother makes nachos.

That one sucks :lol:

I learned "Mark's violet eyes made Jane sit up nights pining." Because Jane was obviously a whore who gave pieces of her heart away. :evil:

Soooo....like...was just wonderin'...

What mnemonic did you guys learn for the cranial nerves?

/lurky[/quote

On Old Olympus Tiny Tops, a Friendly Viking Grew Vines And Hops. I know there is a dirty one but I don't remember it. To tell the truth, I don't remember the nerves that well either !

I learned "Mark's violet eyes made Jane sit up nights pining." Because Jane was obviously a whore who gave pieces of her heart away. :evil:

*snort*

FJers are funny today!

/lurky

The very tame- Oh, Once One Takes The Anatomy Final a Good Vacation Seems Heavenly!

But to remember the invaders of Britain, it was: JAmeS Has V D.

It's only really gross when you have your 50-something anatomy prof telling you it...and he offers to "take you home" on his motorcycle when you stay late to get old homework assignments from him.

On occasion, Oliver tries to anally fornicate various guys - vaginas are history.

And for the type of nerve (sensory, motor or both):

Some say marry money, but my brother says bouncy boobs matter most.

I wonder if you could tell where someone received their training by what set of anatomy mnemonics they learned.

Wait, her son is 13! That planet activity sounds like something a preschooler might do.

Yes, exactly!!! They sang the freakin' Planet Song??? He's THIRTEEN!!!

On occasion, Oliver tries to anally fornicate various guys - vaginas are history.

And for the type of nerve (sensory, motor or both):

Some say marry money, but my brother says bouncy boobs matter most.

I wonder if you could tell where someone received their training by what set of anatomy mnemonics they learned.

We learned Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Very Good Vaginas And Hinnies.

Also did the Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter Most.

lol. I only did nursing school so we didn't get too much into anatomy. Some of the med school stuff I've heard is positively erotic.

We learned Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Very Good Vaginas And Hinnies.

Also did the Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter Most.

lol. I only did nursing school so we didn't get too much into anatomy. Some of the med school stuff I've heard is positively erotic.

Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch a\And Feel a Virgin Girl's Vagina and Hymen :oops:

I was never able to say it to my students (at least not with a straight face,) but I was never able to remember the clean ones either. It was terribly frustrating.

Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch a\And Feel a Virgin Girl's Vagina and Hymen :oops:

I was never able to say it to my students (at least not with a straight face,) but I was never able to remember the clean ones either. It was terribly frustrating.

That's what I learned too...

I told he kids I tutored last year to google it if they wanted to know.

They found it out w/o me telling them :oops:

We did science with my nephews today- my dad was cutting up trees for firewood and we took a couple logs and poked at the mushrooms, counted rings, and learned about lichens and moss. Then we experimented with physics by throwing them before we brought them into burn. :P

I did sing songs about mushrooms, however, the tune was not the end all and be all of the day and I also used the words combustion and mycellium.

/lurky

we used the filthy one that begins "Oh, oh, oh..."

My room mate and I would try and groan it out in the most erotic fashion possible. We were both stuck in a small group that (other than us) was populated by the religious and ernest people in our class. Their shocked expressions were the only encouragement we needed.

Say what you will but I for one refuse to let go of Pluto. I don't care if he isn't a planet, he is still a member of the family and without him I can't sing any of the planet songs. Pluto got a raw deal. :(

Frank and Ernest concur

nzndhv.gif

Not that this one has much to do with the thread, but one can never have enough Frank and Ernest

2m3sfib.gif

And for more Friday night funsies, another science mnemonic device, provided by my college biology prof:

Keep Privates Clean Or Forget Good Sex (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genius, species).

Okay, I feel really educationally backwards now. While you all were learning these science-y mnemonics, I was learning People Need To Meet Vikings (it was supposed to be virgins, but our teacher had to clean it up since it was high school) to remember the five attributes of a Latin verb. I also memorized that poem that goes through all the monarchs of England. Just for fun, because I thought it was cool. Have I mentioned that I'm a history nerd?

I am super jealous of all the brilliant scientists here - I was always a word nerd and liberal arts/poli-sci junkie. And I am still astonished at the disturbing lack of education going on at that SOTDRT... :shock:

It can be demonstrated that you aren't. ;) However some things just haven't been figured out yet. Those things are left to theories which vary depending on your views of what is and isn't possible. If I asked you to demonstrate what happened to the dinosaurs you couldn't although you could tell me some different things that scientists believe happened to the dinosaurs and you could rule out that Superman didn't come and use them as punching bags.

Facts should be taught as facts but when there are only theories presented I think it's not only acceptable but beneficial to teach as many credible theories as possible to give children the drive to discover more and possibly the desire become scientists themselves.

In science, for all intents and purposes, theories are basically fact. I think you are thinking about hypotheses, there is a big difference and as a homeschooler I am sure you know that.

In science, for all intents and purposes, theories are basically fact. I think you are thinking about hypotheses, there is a big difference and as a homeschooler I am sure you know that.

Yet both are defined as proposed explanations and that was my point all along wasn't it? That her curriculum, besides being too simplistic for a teen, doesn't expose her son to other proposed explanations and she makes no effort to supplement it with other activities to cover that.

Pardon my drug addled brain for using two words with very similar meanings in a way that wasn't to your liking. We've been passing around the flu for 2 weeks and it gets wearing on the mind and body. Feel free to check for spelling and grammar mistakes as well. I'm sure they're in there.

Burris, you're such a beautiful writer.

Also: we got that Planet Earth set for Christmas last year and my son, who is 6, LOVES it and that's what got him into a cave this summer - previously he'd been scared and turned back just inside several state & national park caves, but he watched the Caves episode about 10 times and then begged to stop in a touristy cave on a field trip. Next year, Mammoth Cave if we can get the money/scheduling together.

I hope you find an outlet for sharing that sense of wonder - it's important. It makes me so sad when we stop at monuments or historical sites and parents won't take the time to read the plaques or answer their kids questions.

Yet both are defined as proposed explanations and that was my point all along wasn't it? That her curriculum, besides being too simplistic for a teen, doesn't expose her son to other proposed explanations and she makes no effort to supplement it with other activities to cover that.

Pardon my drug addled brain for using two words with very similar meanings in a way that wasn't to your liking. We've been passing around the flu for 2 weeks and it gets wearing on the mind and body. Feel free to check for spelling and grammar mistakes as well. I'm sure they're in there.

Sorry, it was more meant as a general clarification because of when people say things like "evolution is not really true because it's only a THEORY" when, in scientific terms, the words mean quite different things. SO again, not really directed at you, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Hope everyone is feeling better, flu sucks.

Sorry, it was more meant as a general clarification because of when people say things like "evolution is not really true because it's only a THEORY" when, in scientific terms, the words mean quite different things. SO again, not really directed at you, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Hope everyone is feeling better, flu sucks.

I'm sorry too. Old fundy defensive mechanisms going off to the phrase "as a homeschooler I'm sure you know..." meaning that I'm an idiot. :roll: Note to self: The real world honestly doesn't judge or even care about every wrong move you make.

I totally agree that things shouldn't be brushed off because "it's only a theory". That bothers me as well.

Thank you for the well wishes. :)

Archived