IGNORED

Lapp Family Cassadaga, NY

NurseNell

Reading in another thread where Belize was mentioned, I remembered my parent's neighbors, the Lapps. So it ends up I do know another fundie family besides my old Amish neighbors. My parents knew the Lapps well, I only knew them from when I visited my parents. They had left the old order amish and became a fundie group of their own. They homeschool and are basically anti-government. They have had run ins with the law over refusal to pay taxes and from hiding children and parents from CPS. They also have a mission in Belize and have written at least one book, I think daughter Barbara wrote the book. Here is one link about their IRS troubles, it includes their history:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... _n8826808/

Jacob and Barbara Lapp, with eleven of their twelve children, moved onto a 250-acre Cassadaga, New York farm in September, 1971. Ten years prior, the elder Lapps had left a Pennsylvania Amish community where seven generations of their ancestors had made their living farming. For a decade, the family had moved from state to state, often working migrant jobs or sharecropping. Despite their struggle with poverty at times, they sustained themselves and the children's home school education- always working toward the dream of owning their own farm.

Farming in Cassadaga, the Lapp family left behind traditional Amish restrictions on the use of modern conveniences. However, the peaceful, modest lifestyle and agrarian talent of their heritage lived on. The Lapps worked the land, milked cows, and were successful in their business. They shared the fruit of their labor with needy people in the neighborhood, and abroad.

As the children grew, the elder Lapps purchased neighboring properties, expanding the farm to make work for everyone. Some of the children married and lived on these farms, or moved to nearby homes. Their lifestyle of self-sufficiency, communal sharing, and avoidance of worldly influence was guided by strict adherence to Biblical teachings.

Archived