IGNORED

Another Relevant Lisa Ling Episode - Modern Polygamy

I hope I'm not repeating this since the episode originally aired two days ago, but I saw that at 9pm Eastern time on OWN there's an episode of Our America With Lisa Ling about modern polygamy. I'm not sure of how much if any fundiness there will be but I thought some here might want to watch it either way.

Shoot - this is the kind of thing that very occasionally makes me wish I still had cable. I'm glad to see that the FLDS is getting more exposed.

I find polygamy really interesting... thanks!

Hasn't there been a documentary along those lines on the Intarwebz? Maybe I recall incorrectly...

Thank you so much for posting this! I am watching it. I think it's quite interesting that lesbians were teaching them how to protest for a change to legislation. Usually don't see polygamists/FLDS and gays/lesbians as allies. "I realized how much we had in common" ~ major like.

I saw that episode and although I like Lisa Ling, I can't help but be really, really annoyed at how she glossed over the Centennial Park polygamist community and didn't address their lost boys. Polygamist communities don't get to have a 2:6 boy:girl ratio just because they need the extra wives to make it to the Celestial Kingdom. So what are the rest of their boys supposed to do?

I wish I could watch! No cable.

I just started watching Sister Wives on Netflix (I know....) and I am totally obsessed.

I saw that episode and although I like Lisa Ling, I can't help but be really, really annoyed at how she glossed over the Centennial Park polygamist community and didn't address their lost boys. Polygamist communities don't get to have a 2:6 boy:girl ratio just because they need the extra wives to make it to the Celestial Kingdom. So what are the rest of their boys supposed to do?

Yes. This needs to be one of the first questions asked, and asked and asked again as much as necessary until they give a straight answer about the basic mathematical flaw here.

True, and I wish they'd addressed finances.

Otherwise I thought it was interesting. I hope the choices for the girls are as open (well, as they can be in a religious community like that) as they portrayed it. I did think the main guy they showed was creepy though.

ETA: Here's a Daily Mail article about the community and one of the families profiled: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... k-men.html

Saw her on a clip previously; yes, I also wondered why hasn't this aspect been brought up? She seemed too damned cheerful in my book to just be reporting a story like this objectively. I can't help but wonder if there are those who are mulling, say, after the hurdle has been jumped for same-sex marriage, will polygamy be wrapped and presented as the newest "hetero" alternative lifestyle? I wouldn't put it past anyone, IMHO

I can't help but wonder if there are those who are mulling, say, after the hurdle has been jumped for same-sex marriage, will polygamy be wrapped and presented as the newest "hetero" alternative lifestyle? I wouldn't put it past anyone, IMHO

There's a world of difference between ethical non-monogamy, even practiced religiously (see: Browns of Sister Wives) and Centennial Park.

This episode is on right now. But I'm watching the Little Couple. Usually the Our America are rerun on the weekends. I'll probably watch it this weekend.

Watched it on Sunday. I got the heeb jeebs from one of the guys. The other couple actually worked together and seemed happy. I hope polygamy never gets to be legal in the US. I believe it leads to a lot of spiritual abuse(one of the women would have left her husband but she was afraid of the spiritual consequences...). We know how bad Warren Jeffs-FLDS is but I think we are disillusioned with the more modern FLDS, I think a lot of stuff will come out. I would of loved to see a couple with a different faith living polygamy and I know there are people. I feel though they don't call it polygamy though, maybe more polyarmorous love?.

Archived