IGNORED

The Jesus card

terranova

UGH! It really annoys me when someone pulls the "Jesus/God" card!

There is a popular Mommy blogger sometimes discussed on here who also has a large anti-following and today she's all "God loves me so it's ok for me to be hugely in debt, to lie and to steal because Jesus has died for my sins." (paraphrased but you get the point).

I'm not a Christian, so perhaps someone else who is can enlighten me. If Jesus did really die for her sins, is it ok for her to be a real b!$#h? Do people actually believe they are absolved of their mistakes and actions because of Jesus?

UGH it really sickens me and makes all Christians look suspicious in my eyes.

I can't speak for all Christians, but I'd venture that most of us find that kind of attitude highly presumptuous! We are supposed to love God and love other people, and abusing other people on account of God's mercy is not the idea. Jesus absolves us of our mistakes -- so long as we are sorry for them and want to do better. In fact, many Christians find presumption like that to be sinful in its own right.

Not a christian anymore, but the bible has some words to say about people who pretend to be christians and do not chease to do wrong.

The first letter of John defines being in christ a the keeping of the commandments, and Paul talks in his letter to the Romans that you are either under the law or under Christ, and if you're under him, you need to do his deeds, too.

And let's not forget that ominous uttering of Jesus that his aim was not to take away an iota (meaning: not the smallest piece) from the preexisting laws and commandments.

I have a close friend who wasn't raised Christian. Now she's dating a hardcore Catholic hypocrite (he apparently doesn't care about the premarital sex thing). And she said it seems like he's just cheating because he can do whatever he wants and then just say a prayer and be forgiven. I'm sure he hasn't confessed the sex thing though so he hasn't been forgiven for that yet. But I guess you can get around that by saying it's not really that easy, because you're supposed to actually feel remorse for your actions before you're forgiven.

Most people in this country identify as Christians, but I generally try to avoid the ones, especially companies, who make a big deal about it. I've dealt with some companies that think they can do no wrong since they are a Christian group, and complaint about bad service is seen as a personal insult to Jesus himself.

Archived