IGNORED

Before long... - Lina

Koala

Guest Anonymous

I read the latest title, pronouncing a soft 'ch' in my head, and thought it was going to be x-rated stuff.... thanks to Ha'Shem that it was not! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Joyous Chag

The Succa is a place to learn and acquire emuna. We leave our permanent dwellings at a time when the weather starts getting cold. We learn that the only real security we have over our heads is not the roof of our permanent dwelling, but Hashem. For seven days a year, Hashem wants us to teach us how to completely entrust ourselves to His care, as King David says (Psalm 31:6), “I place my spirit in Your hands.â€

Yahsome!

TT and Lina make me feel so inferior. I need to pick another religion and start appropriating just the things I like about it. I think Hinduism, because I like the temples and fire rituals and am already a vegetarian. Plus, Gonesh is an elephant, and elephants have always seemed like the holiest of animals to me. Rumor has it, there were 4 on Noah's Arc, they are so special. I like rose scented incense, too. I won't let my pesky belief in Jesus get in the way.

I thought that it was weird that she used "succa" when she had previously used sukkah.

Also, (and admittedly, I don't speak much conversational Hebrew), I've never heard "chag" used on it's own outside of the phrase "chag sameach." (That means "happy holiday.")

The CH sound is a soft sound, I would pronounce it more like "hog," with the C being subtle if it gets in there at all. Sort of like Chanukah, if it's spelled with a C, I still don't pronounce the C. (I spell it Hanukkah, though.)

I had a professor in college explain the linguistics of pronouncing the CH letters. I wish I remembered more of what she said, but basically it was, "Israelis don't hyperventilate, so don't over pronounce it." I can't really explain it, because it's weird to just say one word with the sound in an English sentence, but when you're reading Hebrew, the correct sound sort of flows.

I come across "the chag" as reference to "the holiday" on the internet fairly commonly in some areas. Kids made artwork/learned songs for the chag at school, or whatever like that.

Which is to say! You can pick up the jargon from context by immersion if you just lurk long enough. But! I would not recommend Lina's blog as a place to do that! You will get bad data :D

I read the latest title, pronouncing a soft 'ch' in my head, and thought it was going to be x-rated stuff.... thanks to Ha'Shem that it was not! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Joyous Chag

The Succa is a place to learn and acquire emuna. We leave our permanent dwellings at a time when the weather starts getting cold. We learn that the only real security we have over our heads is not the roof of our permanent dwelling, but Hashem. For seven days a year, Hashem wants us to teach us how to completely entrust ourselves to His care, as King David says (Psalm 31:6), “I place my spirit in Your hands.â€

Yep me too. And for some reason I read that as acquire Enema... Oh dear...

Archived