IGNORED

Gothard's Total Health Seminar

IReallyAmHopewell

ooba-dooba! Just when I think I've covered all the Gothard craziness, I stumble on new parts of the web site that escaped me before!! Take the Total Health Seminar--especially the testimony.

http://iblp.org/news/total-health-testimony

Example from testimony:

[she]"was amazed to discover that the disinfectant sprays she was using were toxic and actually caused an additional breathing disorder. "

The "seminar" description:

With today's business-minded approach to medical diagnosis and treatment, there is a need for a biblical view of sickness and consideration for the spiritual aspects of illnesses.

You just can't make this stuff up!

Bahahahaha, hil-freaking-arious.

One of my old roommates had a friend whose family was ultra conservative. Both her parents were Christian scientists and did not believe in any form of medical treatment. Their solution was to leave it up to God to guide you through your rough patch and pray like there's no tomorrow. They believed that praying was the best medical solution to rid of a tumor than undergoing surgical procedure.

Perhaps this is what Gothard is going to teach. IMO, you just cannot put Biblical views and medical treatments side by side. I'm all for religion and I am a devout Hindu but there are times when I know to leave religion out of certain topics...like medicine, for one. Gothard puts way too much emphasis on Biblical views for everything. "Cooking with biblical emphasis!" is going to be his next seminar.

I enjoyed the guy who realized that his shoulder pain was the result of envy. He "cleared up envy" and got better. Umm, okay.

Here is one thing I don't understand about fundies who eschew standard medical care for prayer - when they have a relative in hospital who is brain dead/terminally ill they insist on ALL possible medical intervention even when it is futile, and excruciating. When there is a valid treatment or prevention (like vaccines)they refuse and instead choose untested and questionable treatments and when there is nothing more to do but pray for a miracle - well then they want all the tubes/lines and intervention modern medicine can drag up. I don't get it.

sorry if this is off topic but this very question came up today at work and one ethics conference to discuss the case later I am no further in understanding this

If I remember right, in the Wisdom Booklets or somewhere, Gothard teaches that your first name has connections to your health. That seems to be why you see so much about what the kid's name means on some blogs.

Here is one thing I don't understand about fundies who eschew standard medical care for prayer - when they have a relative in hospital who is brain dead/terminally ill they insist on ALL possible medical intervention even when it is futile, and excruciating. When there is a valid treatment or prevention (like vaccines)they refuse and instead choose untested and questionable treatments and when there is nothing more to do but pray for a miracle - well then they want all the tubes/lines and intervention modern medicine can drag up. I don't get it.

sorry if this is off topic but this very question came up today at work and one ethics conference to discuss the case later I am no further in understanding this

*cough* Josie *cough*

I enjoyed the guy who realized that his shoulder pain was the result of envy. He "cleared up envy" and got better. Umm, okay.

He probably forget to mention the fact that he was slamming his shoulder into the wall out of frustration inspired by his envy.

See, there's a connection! :lol:

seems old gothard is a expert on everything. I mean you can live you whole life with what he teaches without any outside help. well how long before laws are made that take care of the faith healing he promotes like we have in oregon? Of course people line up to follow this old rich fool.

I really hate the way they take a grain of truth and then twist it into something ridiculous. Some people, especially those with allergies are asthma, are sensitive to different substances. This is especially true if those things that are dispersed in the air, like spray cleaners. It does mean that people who are sensitive to certain cleaners should stop using them. It DOESN'T mean that those cleaners are "toxic" or that they are harmful to everyone. My brother is really sensitive to a lot of perfumes, but that doesn't mean perfume is toxic. And it certainly doesn't mean that everyone will be healthier without perfume around.

Funny, envy didn't have anything to do with the biceps tendon being torn off the long head of my humerus or the SLAP tendon tear, or the rotator cuff tear that I had. I prayed and prayed for the pain to be resolved. 3 surgeries later and I still have pain. Am I not a good enough Christian that God won't take the pain away and heal me? :::: face desk :::: :character-sebastian:

Archived