IGNORED

New Botkin book/Botkin girls insult (MERGED)

ophelia

Voddie corresponded with me a few years ago, and I was given permission to call him Voddie. He didn't call me Dr. which is my earned designation.

That's because he's a sexist jackass!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's almost as irritating to me as the traditional wedding phrase, 'Man and wife'. Because apparently the wife is nothing unless it relates to her headship? ick

See, this one doesn't really bother me, but only because I study Old English. In OE, "wif" is the word for woman, so in my head, I read it as a linguistic throwback to the Anglo-Saxons, which would read "man and woman," which is OK with me. Of course, I'm sure that's not actually what the phrase means, but it makes me happier if I think there's some history of the language stuff going on there :)

Pet peeve: The use of "girl" with "man." If you use "girl" to refer to an adult woman, you should use "boy" to refer to an adult man. If you use "man" you should use "woman" - not mix them up and say "a man married a girl" (unless you're talking about Warren Jeffs). If you're legally old enough to get married, you're old enough to be a woman, dammit!!!!!

It's almost as irritating to me as the traditional wedding phrase, 'Man and wife'. Because apparently the wife is nothing unless it relates to her headship? ick

Yup, we didn't do that either. We said, "husband and wife."

And ick on the whole, "Math is hard!!11!" Barbie on the front. *sigh*

I was too interested into getting to our room in the Hilton to remember what was said. I only remember the vows anymore. :mrgreen:

Ugh the bad math. It burns. What is with the hearts in the equations? Maybe you could solve more equations if you didn't draw hearts everywhere and concentrated on the math instead. I am in complete agreement with hating the "math is so hard because I'm a girl" stuff. I take it the message is supposed to be that men aren't nearly as complicated as calculus or some other nonsense. Yet I've had calc books shorter than this book.

Has anyone here actually tried to replicate the facial expression she's got going on there. Go ahead and try it for a sec. I know "modeling" is all about exaggeration, but how freaking ridiculous does that feel? And look.

They might have put calculus on the board if they had ever seen it. Seriously, is that supposed to be hard math? Prealgebra?

Calculus is not actually any harder than other math. It is just a continuation of all the classes before it.

It just occurred to me that anyone who doesn't know the girls would think from the cover that the book was written by a Miss Sofia and a Miss Botkin. They should really swap the names around.

But then, only people who know the Botkins will be reading this book, so why worry?

Archived