IGNORED

New Botkin book/Botkin girls insult (MERGED)

ophelia

OMFG: Stockholm Syndrome, anyone? The subtitle of the "Slaying the Inner Vamp" chapter is "Why the female of the species is more deadly than the male." Never mind that males in their world command supreme power, while the females rank somewhere below plankton and krill...they really have been steeping in the patriarchy's Kool-Aid for a very long time, haven't they?

Edited once, because I'm tired and can't spell.

That subtitle is a quote from Rudyard Kipling, the accomplished hunter. Do you think they let those girls read Kipling? Don't they consider him the epitome of evil next to Emerson and Twain and John Locke and -- Oh, I don't know -- Hal Lindsey? Maybe Doug knew about it because of "The Man Who Would Be King," his life aspiration? :roll:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kind of surprised that they could fill 250 pages with this drivel.

Chapter 12 - "how to become a girl a man would want as a wife as well as a friend" - is particularly interesting, given that neither is married...I guess, though, if they've had offers that they have turned down, they would consider themselves the type of "girl" a man would want to marry.

Pet peeve: The use of "girl" with "man." If you use "girl" to refer to an adult woman, you should use "boy" to refer to an adult man. If you use "man" you should use "woman" - not mix them up and say "a man married a girl" (unless you're talking about Warren Jeffs). If you're legally old enough to get married, you're old enough to be a woman, dammit!!!!!

Pet peeve: The use of "girl" with "man." If you use "girl" to refer to an adult woman, you should use "boy" to refer to an adult man. If you use "man" you should use "woman" - not mix them up and say "a man married a girl" (unless you're talking about Warren Jeffs). If you're legally old enough to get married, you're old enough to be a woman, dammit!!!!!

Amen, amen and amen!!!

Guest Anonymous
Hey, don't snark on the *one* solid mathematical relationship on that board; you might discourage them ;-) That 2<3 is at least true.....taking the line integral of n and getting it to equal "(7/8)*(32/21)*x* (b+g) *sqrt(L^2)"....I don't even....! They could at least have taken the line integral of f(z) dz and maybe had it look a little better. But is n supposed to be a constant? It does not compute.

Why could they not have looked up some random math equation - Euler's integral formula, for example - and just copied it down? At least then it would look legit. This is just random scrawl. It doesn't even look impressively mathematical.

Wait, didn't you flounce? I thought posting here was pointless and took up too much time? I'm disappointed, since you said we strengthened your faith so much I figured you'd be off washing someone's feet instead of wallowing in our vitriol.

Girls can't do math, it's just too hard!!!

visionarydaughters.com/2011/10/coming-soon-its-not-that-complicated

2llbzhs.jpg

GRAH!!!

[My prim, modest, Biblical sweater is too small to cover my heaving bosom!

Maybe that's what Ass-E were referring to when they promised a "sneak peak (sic)"?

And Voddie writes the intro. Another lecture in how no one should form any kind of emotional attachments because I think that they posed a problem for him. He sees emotional attachment as too dangerous and something that should have no place in a relationship until after marriage.

Okay. You're going to live with this person, see all their warts, and all that kind of stuff, and you're not supposed to be emotionally attached to them???? Hope that works for people. It would never work for me. Love is not the same as duty, though duty flows from love. Commitment is a part of love and flows from it. Friendship love is the best place to start, and it can grow and should grow into erotic/sensual/romantic love if you are indeed going to wed that person.

But, I'm sure we're going to hear Voddie's tired message again, one that was copped by Mr. Johnny Come Lately from the homeschooling Christian lifestyle gurus that preceded him. Think Gothard and Lindvall. There is nothing new under the sun.

That subtitle is a quote from Rudyard Kipling, the accomplished hunter. Do you think they let those girls read Kipling? Don't they consider him the epitome of evil next to Emerson and Twain and John Locke and -- Oh, I don't know -- Hal Lindsey? Maybe Doug knew about it because of "The Man Who Would Be King," his life aspiration? :roll:

Didn't Kipling write "The White Man's Burden?"

I imagine they'd be pretty big fans of him. ;)

Amen, amen and amen!!!

I reacted on this as well: "how to become a girl a man would want as a wife as well as a friend". That sounds weird to me, and English is my third language....

Random observation:

Chapter 1: 8 pages

Chapter 2: 16 pages

Chapter 3: 20 pages

Chapter 4: 20 pages

Chapter 5: 22 pages

Chapter 6: 20 pages

Chapter 7: 20 pages

Chapter 8: 22 pages

Chapter 9: 24 pages

Chapter 10: 12 pages

Chapter 11: 18 pages

Chapter 12: 20 pages

Chapter 13: 16 pages

Appendix A: 10 pages

5/13 chapters are exactly 20 pages, 8/13 chapters are within 2 pages of that number, and 11/13 are within 4 pages of that number.

This looks to me like they did the thing that all of us secular, godless, public schoolers are familiar with where they said to themselves, "Ok, we have to write 20 pages on each topic. How do we fill that space?" :lol:

The overriding impression one gets from the table of chapters is that the Botkin Girls have grasped the concept of capital letters but not quite got the hang of putting them into practice.

It's pretty clear why that is - open any fiction book from the 19th and early 20th century and chances are you'll see each chapter given a sub-heading with a liberal sprinkling of capital letters. The Botkins have thus been left with the idea that capitalising every other word is a solidly traditional, Victorian-values kind of thing, and that's all they needed to know to start doing it.

5/13 chapters are exactly 20 pages, 8/13 chapters are within 2 pages of that number, and 11/13 are within 4 pages of that number.

This looks to me like they did the thing that all of us secular, godless, public schoolers are familiar with where they said to themselves, "Ok, we have to write 20 pages on each topic. How do we fill that space?" :lol:

I now have "The Book Report" from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown running through my head. Elizabeth could play Lucy!

Didn't Kipling write "The White Man's Burden?"

I imagine they'd be pretty big fans of him. ;)

Ooooohh, good one. I didn't even know Kipling wrote this and had to look it up.

Seriously, though. Philosophically, Kipling is too influenced by evolution and the whole "self-made man" concept as a consequence. His stuff would encourage people to be autonomous and to see themselves as capable of being good or successful by pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps without the help of God.

I'll give you three guesses...

lolita_kubrick_film_cover.jpg

If a boy becomes a man at 13, when exactly does a girl become a woman? Are men to marry only girls and then wedding them makes them women? Is it the husband who transmutes a girl into a woman through sex? Or is it his washing her with the water of the Word (which is not what that verse is even talking about, BTW).

That's an interesting slip they make. Women marry men, not girls. Do men want girls or women for wives? Ooops!

It's almost as irritating to me as the traditional wedding phrase, 'Man and wife'. Because apparently the wife is nothing unless it relates to her headship? ick

It's almost as irritating to me as the traditional wedding phrase, 'Man and wife'. Because apparently the wife is nothing unless it relates to her headship? ick

Yup. That's why DH and I were introduced as husband and wife and firstname and firstname ourlastname.

And Voddie writes the intro. Another lecture in how no one should form any kind of emotional attachments because I think that they posed a problem for him. He sees emotional attachment as too dangerous and something that should have no place in a relationship until after marriage.

Okay. You're going to live with this person, see all their warts, and all that kind of stuff, and you're not supposed to be emotionally attached to them???? Hope that works for people. It would never work for me. Love is not the same as duty, though duty flows from love. Commitment is a part of love and flows from it. Friendship love is the best place to start, and it can grow and should grow into erotic/sensual/romantic love if you are indeed going to wed that person.

But, I'm sure we're going to hear Voddie's tired message again, one that was copped by Mr. Johnny Come Lately from the homeschooling Christian lifestyle gurus that preceded him. Think Gothard and Lindvall. There is nothing new under the sun.

Don't you mean "Dr.Voddie?!?" Let's not all forget that he has a Doctorate! In Ministry! Which is like a real doctorate, except not at all.

Don't you mean "Dr.Voddie?!?" Let's not all forget that he has a Doctorate! In Ministry! Which is like a real doctorate, except not at all.

Voddie corresponded with me a few years ago, and I was given permission to call him Voddie. He didn't call me Dr. which is my earned designation.

Archived