IGNORED

Anthropology and Fundies

emmiedahl

I have nothing to add but this is such a fascinating discussion that I really want it to continue. So, I am giving it a little bump by posting. I hope that is okay. Now, I will go back to lurker status on this thread.

I have never heard that about hoarded wealth and patriarchy. It makes sense, though. It seems in my readings for the class that societies that place a huge importance on traditional families seem to be more patriarchal, while those that just take care of what ever kids happen to be around are less so. The !Kung fall into the latter category.

I have never heard that about hoarded wealth and patriarchy. It makes sense, though. It seems in my readings for the class that societies that place a huge importance on traditional families seem to be more patriarchal, while those that just take care of what ever kids happen to be around are less so. The !Kung fall into the latter category.

Also, look at bonobo society: alloparents abound, and females are the ones who pretty much rule. They're our closest cousins and honestly, we can really learn a lot from them about gender equality and childrearing.

And bonobos are also some of the only societal animals that engage in recreational sex. And yeah, they're a matriarchal society. Compare this to their cousins the chimps and gorillas.

For me, the lesson I learn from the !Kung is that gender equality is a natural part of human culture. No matter how it is taken away, we trend back toward it. And that really has to chafe the hides of the people who stand to benefit from inequality.

This class is AMAZING by the way.

That's awesome, on all counts.

Darn. I thought this was an "Anthropologie" and Fundies thread. What is UP with Nienie and the mormon mommy bloggers with Anthropologie???

I second Debrand! I can't think of anything to say but this is so fascinating I'm craving more and don't want the thread to be lost. I'd also like titles of more books I can read, these people sound fascinating. I love Anthropology but I couldn't make the classes work with my schedule in college, still considering going the Linguistic Anthropology route if I ever get another degree.

Cultural anthropology is one of the most fascinating subjects I know. Go to powells.com and type cultural anthropology in the search box, then browse to your heart's content. I've already found one book I'm definitely going to read:

Pandora's Seed: Why the Hunter-Gatherer Holds the Key to Our Survival

Spencer Wells

Fortunately, I happen to live where Powell's is physically located, so I can go browse for real, AND it's supposed to be kinda rainy tomorrow, AND everyone else in my house will be gone, so I'm thinking a day spent curled up in one of their armchairs, sipping a nice, strong 4-shot latte, perusing a thick stack of books, ain't such a bad idea...except for the challenge of leaving without spending my entire monthly budget (and then some) on MORE books.

BTW, if you haven't heard of Powell's..."occupying an entire city block, [Powell's] stocks more than a million new and used books. Nine color coded rooms house over 3,500 different sections, offering something for every interest, including an incredible selection of out-of-print and hard-to-find titles." Support independent bookstores - buy from Powell's instead of Amazon or Barnes & Noble or any other big chain...so I will always have a place to go on rainy fall days, :D

Archived