IGNORED

Fundie mom whites out offensive parts in her kid's Bible

VodouDoll

True Story: A friend is a school counselor and had an elementary school boy sent to her office. The child, the previous night, had asked his mother what a whore was. His mother, flustered, said that a whore is "a woman who does bad things". The next day when a little girl cut in front of him in line he called her a whore. He was VERY confused and upset on being sent to the counselors office, asking her in exasperation "WHAT'S A WHORE???!"

I do not see how whiting out what someone has deemed to be offensive or contentious (or just brushing over actually and truthfully defining the word) benefits kids. Parents are also being naive if they think 8-year old's have not been/are not going to be exposed to these words outside of the home too, where not knowing its meaning might be even more problematic than knowing!

I can very vividly remember back more than 25 years to my early elementary school years (at ages 6-8) where kids went around calling other kids on the playground horny/virgins/sluts (or asking if another kid who was just as clueless about the word if they were one!) or some other such thing as they too had been given some vague answer when they heard the word and asked a parent/guardian what it meant (I am sure Madonna's "Like a Virgin" inspired many such questions back then!).

Should you adjust the vivid details of the explanation for different ages? Sure. But just saying a prostitute is a "woman who does bad things" to an 8-year old is horrendously vague and of no benefit to anyone except the parent who can go on thinking their child is sheltered from the realities of the world. The parent has the advantage of knowing "bad things" means accepting payment for sexual favours. The 8-year old just lumps it in with their general concept of "bad things being anything that they have been told/learned is bad". It also fails to clarify the difference between sex in general between willing (non-paying) people and paid sex between a prostitute/john (which for the purposes of this we will just say is illegal though it is not everywhere of course), so when they do learn what a prostitute is from their friend down the street, it becomes even more confusing as to what the "bad things are", setting them onto even more sexual confusion in the future.

This reminds me of how I used to read Ezekiel 16 and 23 in church as a young teen when the sermon got boring :lol:

Also apparently when my son was in the 2nd grade he got in trouble for apparently "propositioning" some girl in his class by some sort of convoluted hand signals. He had to confess to us and the counselor that he didn't even know what sex was so how could he have been asking her to really do that? (He was given age-appropriate yet accurate instruction on that).

True Story: A friend is a school counselor and had an elementary school boy sent to her office. The child, the previous night, had asked his mother what a whore was. His mother, flustered, said that a whore is "a woman who does bad things". The next day when a little girl cut in front of him in line he called her a whore. He was VERY confused and upset on being sent to the counselors office, asking her in exasperation "WHAT'S A WHORE???!"

I actually laughed out loud at this. But I totally disagree with this mindset. Keeping kids completely in the dark can set them up for a lot of problems as an adult.

newlifeonahomestead.com/2011/10/whiting-out-her-bible-not-for-young-eyes/

The Bible is not an appropriate book for Christian children to read, you guys!

Charming, no? In the comments she elaborates that, as a Christian parent, it's her job to guard her daughter's heart and mind from the words in the Bible.

When I was eleven, I asked my dad what a pimp was. During dinner.

My father, much to his credit, in my opinion, asked me if I knew what a prostitute was. I nodded, and he then told me a pimp was a man who is a prostitute's boss and is generally very, very bad.

Methinks Mommy Dearest could use some parenting lessons from my atheist daddy.

Archived