IGNORED

Tell me about the Pioneer Woman

skankbiscuit

The funny thing is how many of her followers think that Ree Drummond is the Pioneer Woman. She's no more than the PW than Lucille Ball was Lucy Ricardo. The Pioneer Woman is just a character created by Ree Drummond. She's good at marketing her character, that's for sure.

I never really bothered to pay attention to her pictures. I would usually go to her recipe via someone else's blog who was talking about some wonderous recipe they made courtesy of PW. I always envisioned her as an old, uptight lady making johnny cakes in an iron skillet. When I watched the intro to her tv show and saw their home and how much land they own I almost fainted. Also, just like to point out I'm sick of how no one can be real and say things like "Yeah, I had a wicked good life and THEN I won the lottery". Everyone has to have a sap rags-to-riches "simple-girl-at-heart" bullshit saga about how they beat the odds. And I'd like to *not* see a movie about her starring Reese Witherspoon. What the hell would it be about? At least "Julie and Julia" had the interesting facts of Julia Childs' life woven in.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never really bothered to pay attention to her pictures. I would usually go to her recipe via someone else's blog who was talking about some wonderous recipe they made courtesy of PW. I always envisioned her as an old, uptight lady making johnny cakes in an iron skillet. When I watched the intro to her tv show and saw their home and how much land they own I almost fainted. Also, just like to point out I'm sick of how no one can be real and say things like "Yeah, I had a wicked good life and THEN I won the lottery". Everyone has to have a sap rags-to-riches "simple-girl-at-heart" bullshit saga about how they beat the odds. And I'd like to *not* see a movie about her starring Reese Witherspoon. What the hell would it be about? At least "Julie and Julia" had the interesting facts of Julia Childs' life woven in.

I think I love you!!

PW's blog was a good how-to intro to cooking for me back when I was a really inexperienced and clueless cook. The pictures helped me a lot in those days. I also thought she was funny and charming.

I was really surprised when I found out that she is loaded. I mean, I did think it was curious that she was building a luxurious lodge on her property, but I didn't put a lot of thought into how she was able to afford it.

I found her love story pretty tiresome (so many words!) and unrelatable. And as her fame and media reach grew, the down-home shtick became sort of tiresome. I don't go to her blog much anymore because I already have a huge backlog of recipes and enough cooking experience to not need step-by-step pictures, but I don't hate her.

The anti-PW blogs can be funny, but some of the commenters are really OTT. Focus your vitriol on a true liar and scammer like MckMama, people.

The anti-PW blogs can be funny, but some of the commenters are really OTT. Focus your vitriol on a true liar and scammer like MckMama, people.

Yeah no kidding. PW may be dishonest but she's not in the same league as McKmama.

PW's recipes don't bother me as much as the lifestyle she tries to portray. As someone who actually lives on 50,000 acres and has had to go out in the middle of a snow storm to bottle feed calves and break ice on water troughs while the boyfriend is so sick he can't stand, it annoys me when she makes ranching look fun, easy and glamorous. Granted, I do enjoy aspects of it, otherwise I wouldn't volunteer to live 12 miles off the paved road and over 20 miles from the nearest entrance to a neighboring ranch. Something about the smugness of her easy ranch life just rubs me the wrong way.

Huh, I've never thought she makes ranching look easy. Opposite for me, really.

I have her cookbook, and while I'll probably not buy the next for myself, the detailed pictures really help me. I'm shit at figuring out techniques and how something is supposed to look/feel from text. I've gone from gung-ho about her to more neutral. I skip as many of her posts on my reader as I read them.

Yeah no kidding. PW may be dishonest but she's not in the same league as McKmama.

I focus my vitriol on whoever comes into my crosshairs. I don't rate them, like, "Lauren is just a disingenuous little twat, but now Kelly at GC is really dangerous". If they annoy me, they annoy me, and I post about it. If I felt that FJ was a place where everyone needs to adhere to a system of classification and snark accordingly, I wouldn't be here.

I'm indifferent to the Pioneer Woman. Some of her recipes are good, other recipes, I dislike. She had a tasty brownie recipe at one point that I thought was tasty.

She does use ALOT of fat. My arteries clog just reading her recipes. LOL

I'm the most annoyed by her frequent posts about how *everyone* has to work to keep the ranch running. However, she doesn't seem to do anything except take pictures and cook. I don't think she even rides. It looks like her sister-in-law works hard, so I don't understand why Ree gets a free pass.

Huh, I've never thought she makes ranching look easy. Opposite for me, really.

I have her cookbook, and while I'll probably not buy the next for myself, the detailed pictures really help me. I'm shit at figuring out techniques and how something is supposed to look/feel from text. I've gone from gung-ho about her to more neutral. I skip as many of her posts on my reader as I read them.

I should have ready I don't like how easy she makes being a ranchwife (or in my case girlfriend) seem. Doing your hair and make-up when you're not even leaving the ranch that day, cooking, taking photos of the food and then posting it online? Yeah, I could probably do that too...after getting up early, feeding dogs and horses, helping saddle horses or load them, spending part of the day horseback looking for cattle them coming home and making supper on the nights when it's my turn.

None of the ranchwives I know had time to do that, even if they were at home all day. There are usually too many chores to be done and cowboys to be fed to be that self-indulgent.

Her page is hard to navigate! Could someone post links to her most gag-worthy stuff? I'm specifically looking for the romance history and a recipe or two. Most of it seems to be guest posts or questions.

I'm the most annoyed by her frequent posts about how *everyone* has to work to keep the ranch running. However, she doesn't seem to do anything except take pictures and cook. I don't think she even rides. It looks like her sister-in-law works hard, so I don't understand why Ree gets a free pass.

Ree gets a pass because she's Mrs. Marlboro Man.

Ree also has live-in help. So she pretty much takes pictures and cooks. I can't see her pushing cattle through a shute. Or shoveling shit.

Archived