IGNORED

So, what about the rapture?

annalena

In my area, we saw more than a few lawn signs pertaining to Camping's May rapture prediction that all came down afterward and have not reappeared for the October date. One of them featured Woodstock and Snoopy waiting to be raptured on a doghouse, with a bible verse and URL painted on the side.

I wonder if these people genuinely believed Camping's prediction, or if they were taking advantage of the flurry of media attention. Like, "I don't actually think the rapture is happening soon, but a lot of unbelievers are thinking about their eternal fate right now thanks to this dude, so it might be a good time to proselytize?"

I have no clue.

The KJV says something to the effect, of the day and the hour, knoweth no man, and that is what the groups I am most familiar with teach.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents said something to the effect of 'oh, that verse referred to how it would be for all the unbelievers'. At least, that was my vague understanding of what they said. I never really understood their preaching on how they knew when the world would end. They totally believed in May 21.

(If you couldn't tell, I'm having a few issues leaving this decade behind and entering the adult world of 30 somethings.)

I feel ya. I hit the big 3-0 back in September and then looked around and wondered how'd I get so "old" so fast. I always used to be the "young one" of the bunch. Those were the days...

As I understand it, the regular contributors to freejinger won't be caught up in the rapture. So, you'll get your bonuses, have to pay your taxes, all that stuff. But without the raptured ones' blogs to snark on, freejinger itself might collapse.

I feel ya. I hit the big 3-0 back in September and then looked around and wondered how'd I get so "old" so fast. I always used to be the "young one" of the bunch. Those were the days...

I was ok with 30, 35 hit me hard. I took a 4 day weekend to visit my sister in Taos (not the fundie one) and that helped me get over that. I suggest an "I'm still awesome" trip if you can. :)

I made a deal with my students. If they found themselves dead next week they wouldn't have to take the test we have planned for Thursday and they get the highest grade in the course.

I am having a bad hair day and I have a very long tedious meeting with the owner this afternoon. If there is going to be a rapture, the owner of my company, being a good fundie, would be raptured up, and I would just have to meet with his polo shirt and khakis; it would be almost just like a regular meeting.

I was ok with 30, 35 hit me hard. I took a 4 day weekend to visit my sister in Taos (not the fundie one) and that helped me get over that. I suggest an "I'm still awesome" trip if you can. :)

Thanks guys! I'm still here, so I guess the failed rapturous event means I really am turning 30 tomorrow. I know the day is half over, but I keeping thinking that I need to do something today that's really great/crazy/memorable/slightly irresponsible since it's the last day of my twenties. But I can't think of anything! Ideas?

Today is the day! It is only 11:16am PDT where I live so I am not too worried yet that I am still here. I am planning dinner tonight, just in case.

Does Harold Camping have any limit to the dates he predicts? I know he has already posted an "out" for this date if it does not occur. But what happens if the Mayans aren't right, either? Then what will he say?

Well it's 2:47 central time and I'm still here. Haven't heard a single plane or vehicle crash..So I guess everyone else is here as well. YAY! That mean's I'm all set for tomorrow's Arkansas/OleMiss game. Go Hogs! :D

Camping is in Oakland CA and that's PDT. It's 1303 here and no piles of clothes on the street and the traffic is going normally. Last time he said it was going to be at 1826 in every time zone. This time he didn't give a time. And since it's Saturday on the other side of the Pacific, I guess we'll just have to wait for next time. :evil:

So far everything seems cool in Washington (literally and figuratively). I've had a really shitty day so far, so I wouldn't mind a cataclysm so much right now.

There's four??? I thought it was only the three!

From what I heard, they're going to stretch the trilogy into four movies, but no word yet on how they're going to split them up.

Give 'em hell, Sola!

Don't worry I did!

To quote a winning selection from the Bulwer-Lytton bad-opening-sentence-of-a-novel competition, "Oh, shit--it's the end of the world!" he yelled, neatly combining scatology and eschatology in a single exclamation.

Hmm, 11:11 on the east coast now, suspect that I will still be here in 48 minutes...at which point I should likely sleep before work in the morning.

Wrong again, little Camping? Poor dear, one of these days I'm sure you'll figure it out. Don't feel too bad, Jesus didn't know either. :roll:

Archived