IGNORED

Sigh. Just...sigh... Miss USA Pageant

Kitten

First, the parody

Funny, eh?

Now (sigh), the real video

Yes, granted, these are Miss USA pageant girls, which is the T&A pageant (unlike the oh-so-intellectual Miss America pageant), but STILL...

And sadly, unlike the parody, not one of them says "Is this a joke?"

:doh::cry::roll::oops:

('cause I just can't choose one emotion for this)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will give some the girls credit for their responses. But most of them didn't really seem like they knew what they were talking about or just sounded ignorant. Oh, Miss USA.

I know, I know, but why couldn't one, just ONE out of 51, say something like:

"Of course. Science is based on observation and testing, and at this time, the evidence we have makes evolution the most likely theory for how life has changed over time to respond to environmental changes and challenges. If you are trying to ask indirectly if creationism (or "intelligent design," if you prefer) should be taught in public schools, I would also say yes, as part of a class in comparative religion, where all creation myths from the various religions and cultures around the world can be discussed and compared."

Although I should point out that my one and only "beauty" pageant was the Little Miss Molly Mall contest when I was 9, and I was not selected to be one of the top ten finalists. Maybe that's the source of my bitterness. :lol:

I like the comment that we should just let students decide what to believe in.

Serine protease inhibitors, I do not believe in you.

Physics. I don't believe in physics. I mean, you can't even SEE electricity. Or gravity. Or air, even.

And I've always been suspicious of calculus. All those Greek symbol thingies. I think those "equations" are a secret code from Satan to his minions...because in college, I was pretty sure my last calculus professor WAS Satan...

Thank you, Kitty, for reminding me to add physics and calculus to my list. I don't believe the rate of change has a rate of change.

My prof used to sing, "Take it, to the limit, one more time..." in class. That combined with his lack of vocal talent should qualify him for antichrist status.

I don't know if this is true, so correct me if I am wrong, but I have read/heard that the people who participate in these pageants are not really giving their opinion, they're giving the answer that is basically going to appeal to/not offend the largest number of people. If that's true, this is even sadder. It's not just a couple of people being incredibly anti-science, it's indicative of a far greater problem.

Thank you, Kitty, for reminding me to add physics and calculus to my list. I don't believe the rate of change has a rate of change.

My prof used to sing, "Take it, to the limit, one more time..." in class. That combined with his lack of vocal talent should qualify him for antichrist status.

That was Kitten, not me. :P I knew someone would eventually confuse the two of us.

I personally only believe in some types of evolution but even so, I agree with Kitten. I have the belief the evolution should be taught, along with creation stories from MULTIPLE OTHER religions, not just Christianity. Just because I don't believe in it doesn't mean it shouldn't be taught and people who hold that view are just plain effing stupid.

Hey Miss Delaware said it short and sweet: "Do believe evolution should be taught in schools." That's all. 'Atta girl!

I personally only believe in some types of evolution but even so, I agree with Kitten. I have the belief the evolution should be taught, along with creation stories from MULTIPLE OTHER religions, not just Christianity. Just because I don't believe in it doesn't mean it shouldn't be taught and people who hold that view are just plain effing stupid.

Evolution is science, religion is not. Religion doesn't belong in science curriculum just like calculus doesn't belong in a creative writing class.

I *love* Miss Montana's reaction in the parody clip at the very beginning. She can't think of an answer and so does the pageant smile. Love it!

I'm 37 and going back to school and just took biology 101. Until I took that class I didn't understand why evolution was essential to biology or how it worked. I definitely accepted the theory of evolution and that Genesis was a metaphor (even when I was a Christian), but I couldn't explain to you how it worked. But to me is was kind of like, God created the world however many billion of years ago and has left us to it ever since.

IMHO, it all comes down to the fact that schools are too busy focusing on making kids learn tiny, boring, easily-forgotten details instead of broad overarching themes. When you understand the overall concept/theme, then you've learned it well enough to remember it and when a similar topic comes up you can say, "Oh, I get that! It's kind of like when that happens!"

This is one case where I would be very much in favor of homeschooling!

I was taught evolution in school and it was not by the school's choice, it was because it was a requirement that they HAD to teach. Every public and every private school. Biology class.

Sometimes Germany with all its rules and regulations for everything bugs me, but this is a good example of when they're necessary.

This may be my background speaking here, but I squick anytime someone correlates a theory with an idea that hasn't gone under rigorous scientific studies and has still been held to support a claim. It's a pet peeve of mine, but to say creationism/intelligent design is a theory is not a true statement. I caught that a few times in there.

Louisiana really is a winner, huh?

I'm in agreement with Kitten here. The problem is that, in a biology classroom, there is debate whether evolution or intelligent design (creationism in disguise) should be taught. Intelligent Design caters to Christianity and follows the Christian model of design by a maker. Teaching about different creation stories or myths should fall under a general religion class with the aim to educate others about religions around the world, but should never be presented as fact because they simply are not scientific facts. If my high school did have a general religion class to learn about all different kinds of religions, I would take that in a heartbeat since I think creation myths are rather fun.

I'm in agreement with Kitten here. The problem is that, in a biology classroom, there is debate whether evolution or intelligent design (creationism in disguise) should be taught. Intelligent Design caters to Christianity and follows the Christian model of design by a maker. Teaching about different creation stories or myths should fall under a general religion class with the aim to educate others about religions around the world, but should never be presented as fact because they simply are not scientific facts. If my high school did have a general religion class to learn about all different kinds of religions, I would take that in a heartbeat since I think creation myths are rather fun.

True this, altough Evolution was a mandatory teaching, we HAD to take "religions class", protestant or catholic. Only from a certain age on you could choose "ethics" class instead, which actually was pretty damn interesting as we mainly covered ethics and philosophy. But that was from 8th grade on only...I think.

A religions class would have to teach about ALL religions.

I only went to public school, and every time I learned about evolution there was always a disclaimer for students with religious beliefs to be encouraged to be open-minded. And there were a few people in my class that were like "this is complete BS".

Did you go to private school, Ana? My little brother went to a private Lutheran school up until 6th grade and he got Young Earth Creationism shoved down his throat with claims that evolution is false because the Earth is 6000 years old and we didn't evolve from apes. I have yet to see how he reacts to evolution in a public school, but he seemed open in the past about the Earth being 4.6 billion years old.

This strikes me as just so American. There are always conservative Christians who don't want evolution taught, or want 'intelligent design' taught alongside it or whatever, but America seems to be the only place where the people who don't want evolution taught seem to rival the number of people who think it needs to be taught. If this were a pageant in Germany or the UK or Australia or pretty much anywhere else in the Western world (hell, probably basically anywhere else), this wouldn't even be a question.

This strikes me as just so American. There are always conservative Christians who don't want evolution taught, or want 'intelligent design' taught alongside it or whatever, but America seems to be the only place where the people who don't want evolution taught seem to rival the number of people who think it needs to be taught. If this were a pageant in Germany or the UK or Australia or pretty much anywhere else in the Western world (hell, probably basically anywhere else), this wouldn't even be a question.

This. Same as the 'abortion debate'. There's always someone, somewhere who disagrees but it's just not a big enough issue to be up for public discussion. (Now, if only ppl could get to the same point over the issue of gay rights :roll: )

Archived