IGNORED

Maxwell 57: Planning Mary's Wedding

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

Sam's facebook page says he was born in 1999. Mary was born in 1996. I think for all the Max girls they present as much younger than they really are because of their extreme sheltering. It probably wouldn't occur to a GYM that one of them was older than he assumed until well after God had laid it on his heart that this was the woman for them.

Thank you for finding his age. For some reason, I thought he was in closer in age to Mary than 5 years so we probably discussed it before. Depending on when his birthday is, they'll be 23 and 26 or 24 and 26 when they marry. (Mary's birthday is in August and the wedding is in May.)

I'm not sure how sheltered the Max girls are compared to the average fundie. They went on mission trips together, but without the rest of the family. They've been living away from home for a few years. The campus has strick provissions against certain types of music meaning their classmates aren't necessarily listening or enjoying music and pop culture anymore than they. It wouldn't surprise if the Maxwell girls weren't the most sheltered kids on campus. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 7

I just read the Bob Jones University handbook. I will never, never understand how these people see dancing on the same level of bad as they see physical fighting. And you must have to be really strict to stop little kids from dancing, because it is so natural. Nobody has to teach a toddler to dance, they hear music and they just do. Even babies will bob their heads and bodies along before they can crawl or walk. 

• Upvote 17

Very old joke: 

Q: Why did Baptists never have sex standing up? 
A: They don't want anyone to think they're dancing. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 26
  • Love 2

50 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

I just read the Bob Jones University handbook. I will never, never understand how these people see dancing on the same level of bad as they see physical fighting. And you must have to be really strict to stop little kids from dancing, because it is so natural. Nobody has to teach a toddler to dance, they hear music and they just do. Even babies will bob their heads and bodies along before they can crawl or walk. 

Fundies want to teach their children to fight natural human instincts from a very young age. Look at all the things they teach their children to fight. Dancing, masturbation, sex, and even showing emotion. Fundies are taught they can’t trust themselves from a young age. Their bodies are deceiving them. Imagine living like that. 

• Upvote 20

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Fundies want to teach their children to fight natural human instincts from a very young age. Look at all the things they teach their children to fight. Dancing, masturbation, sex, and even showing emotion. Fundies are taught they can’t trust themselves from a young age. Their bodies are deceiving them. Imagine living like that. 

Sounds a whole lot like my Catholic upbringing.  Takes some of us decades to unlearn.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 4/18/2023 at 3:20 PM, Hane said:

These overbearing college conduct rules remind me of a local news story from the Pleistocene:

In 1971, the US age of majority (voting, drinking, marriage, signing contracts) was reduced from 21 to 18. (Yay for me—I had just turned 18!)

A local newscaster visited a dormitory at Wesleyan University in Middletown CT, ten miles from me. He expressed dismay that the young people in the dorm (I *think* it was women-only at the time) had no “house mother.” He asked one student, “Don’t you need an adult in residence to supervise you?” She emphatically replied, “Thank God they don’t!” 

The previous year, a friend was at Ohio Wesleyan. The freshman dorm consisted of a men’s wing and a women’s wing connected by a common area. The women—not the men—had a 10 PM curfew. They dealt with this by staging a sit-in in the common area, and the curfew was eliminated almost immediately.

THAT Wesleyan in CT is "name only". There are plenty of those type out there with religious names. There are also the "other" sort--a "safe" rural campus, with tons of rules, etc. I worked for one of this type for years.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

THAT Wesleyan in CT is "name only". There are plenty of those type out there with religious names. There are also the "other" sort--a "safe" rural campus, with tons of rules, etc. I worked for one of this type for years.

I know—even back in the ‘60s, I was surprised to learn that the university had religious roots.

• Upvote 2

On 4/22/2023 at 9:24 AM, Howl said:

Very old joke: 

I first heard this as a Mennonite joke.......lol well I guess that shows how I can call myself a Mennonite Baptist.

• Upvote 3

I went to a college (1969-1973) which took fire safety very seriously. We were all taught how to use rope ladders to escape from upper floors—and then tested on it! (Someone is going to read this and say, “Aha! The rope test! I know where you went to school!”) We had  fire drills a couple of times a years, of course (using the stairs) and we’d fail the drill if some girls didn’t make it out on time, but the students in charge of checking the rooms had to ignore the men we had hidden away in our rooms. 
  Men were officially allowed in our rooms overnight a year or two into my time there, but what strikes me as more surprising now is that we did not have locks on our rooms until around the same time. 

• Upvote 6

On 4/22/2023 at 10:24 AM, Howl said:

Very old joke: 

Equally old:

“Jews don’t recognize Jesus, Protestants don’t recognize the Pope, and Baptists don’t recognize one another in the liquor store.”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 24

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I went to a college (1969-1973) which took fire safety very seriously. We were all taught how to use rope ladders to escape from upper floors—and then tested on it! (Someone is going to read this and say, “Aha! The rope test! I know where you went to school!”) We had  fire drills a couple of times a years, of course (using the stairs) and we’d fail the drill if some girls didn’t make it out on time, but the students in charge of checking the rooms had to ignore the men we had hidden away in our rooms. 
  Men were officially allowed in our rooms overnight a year or two into my time there, but what strikes me as more surprising now is that we did not have locks on our rooms until around the same time. 

I remember in college drunk people used to frequently pull the fire alarm in the middle of the night- which was always annoying to have to evacuate at 4 am. Once, as we sat shivering in the cold a friend of mine said, “well on the bright side this is always a good way to find out who is secretly sleeping together”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13

38 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

I remember in college drunk people used to frequently pull the fire alarm in the middle of the night- which was always annoying to have to evacuate at 4 am. Once, as we sat shivering in the cold a friend of mine said, “well on the bright side this is always a good way to find out who is secretly sleeping together”

I hated that shit! It was so cold in winter where I went to college. They would be pounding on doors to hurry up so you never had time to actually get dressed so you basically grabbed your coat and slippers and left. 

• Upvote 7

When my friend was at Ohio Wesleyan, some stupid jagoffs used to pull the dorm’s fire alarm for funsies. The RAs finally had enough and staged a surprise fire drill very early one cold, rainy morning.

As everyone stood out there grumbling, the RAs distributed flyers that read, “Are you cold? Are you wet? Are you miserable? Well, these surprise drills will continue until the fire alarm pranks stop!”

And somehow they stopped immediately.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 15

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Now I really want to know where you went to college!!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, Caroline said:

Now I really want to know where you went to college!!

I went to Smith College. (I got lots of financial aid.)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I went to Smith College. (I got lots of financial aid.)

My daughter went to your rival school - MHC.  She loved it there. I wonder if they had those crazy fire drills too once upon a time?

• Upvote 2

On 4/22/2023 at 3:34 PM, anachronistic said:

Even babies will bob their heads and bodies along before they can crawl or walk. 

Not just babies! I recently read about an experiment done with rats - they will "dance" too. Well, they mainly move their heads to the beat, they aren't great dancers. They will even move to the beat of Chopin. Best hope the fundies never read about it, or they'll ban classical music too. Apparently, rats also like Taylor Swift, and driving tiny cars, lol. I tested the "dancing" out with my boys - they loved it. They are also better dancers than I am.

It is insane that rules for engaged couples require parental consent for them to be in a room alone. These are, presumably, adults? Curfew and lights out? Not being allowed to go to a cinema even in your home town *in case* someone thinks you saw an adult movie? Also, when they say only classical music - does that include opera? All that premarital hand holding, incest, murder is OK in German or Italian I guess. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Zebedee said:

Not just babies! I recently read about an experiment done with rats - they will "dance" too. Well, they mainly move their heads to the beat, they aren't great dancers. They will even move to the beat of Chopin. Best hope the fundies never read about it, or they'll ban classical music too. Apparently, rats also like Taylor Swift, and driving tiny cars, lol. I tested the "dancing" out with my boys - they loved it. They are also better dancers than I am.

It is insane that rules for engaged couples require parental consent for them to be in a room alone. These are, presumably, adults? Curfew and lights out? Not being allowed to go to a cinema even in your home town *in case* someone thinks you saw an adult movie? Also, when they say only classical music - does that include opera? All that premarital hand holding, incest, murder is OK in German or Italian I guess. 

Those experiments sound way too cute 🤣

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Those experiments sound way too cute

U of Richmond in the US taught the rats to drive tiny cars - with brakes and reverse, and it made them so happy. I really wish they would make a guide to building the cars as I am hopeless at such things. I might have to write to a friend and get him to "help". Also, the ones where they tickle rats, and record them giggling - apparently the rats also "giggle" when you tickle their friends' tummies. "Rat tickler" would be an awesome job title! Sometimes I kinda wish I'd studied psychology or something instead of physics, though I think I'd've ended up with *all* the rats! Oh well, in a parallel universe, that's my job :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I hated that shit! It was so cold in winter where I went to college. They would be pounding on doors to hurry up so you never had time to actually get dressed so you basically grabbed your coat and slippers and left. 

I went to a BIG-TIME basketball school, and one year I lived in the dorm where the team lived, and during fire drills my floor (all women) had to evacuate through their wing on the first floor, and they'd all make fun of our sleepwear. I'd have negative flashbacks about this for years after when I watched NBA games.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I went to a BIG-TIME basketball school, and one year I lived in the dorm where the team lived, and during fire drills my floor (all women) had to evacuate through their wing on the first floor, and they'd all make fun of our sleepwear. I'd have negative flashbacks about this for years after when I watched NBA games.

Our dorm was a very weird mix. It was a lot of music students, hockey players, baseball players, and art students. But I like weird mixes. So it was good.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I had a pair of socks on my nightstand and shoes by my bed when I lived in dorms so I could put them on quickly as well as my thick dressing gown on my door. Scotland has very few warm nights and the few we got were not during the school year

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Zee said:

I had a pair of socks on my nightstand and shoes by my bed when I lived in dorms so I could put them on quickly as well as my thick dressing gown on my door. Scotland has very few warm nights and the few we got were not during the school year

I went to college when Lanz  flannel nightgowns were very popular. We had middle of the night fire alarms, but were always cozy in our bulky flannel nightgowns :)

• Upvote 2

When I was in college my dorm room was always hot. So I would wear pajama shorts in all kinds of weather. My junior year in the middle of a snowstorm someone started a fire in their bedroom.  So I put a pair of pants over my shorts & ran out the building. 

• Upvote 1

Every.single.Thursday.night in my dorm at my Jesuit university in the mid 70s. I may have stopped evacuating after a couple of years of it.

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic