IGNORED

Idaho Mom Lori Daybell 2

Coconut Flan

Lori's trial starts in early April.  Likely Nate Eaton or one of the other East Idaho News folks will be live tweeting.  

• Thank You 3

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Likely Nate Eaton or one of the other East Idaho News folks will be live tweeting.  

He has been on this story for years and has done a great job.

• I Agree 1

Link to East Idaho News Lori trial coverage:  https://www.eastidahonews.com/news/daybell/

Answers to FAQs about charges and trial are answered HERE (audio and text)  It's very good. 

Listening to this, I didn't realize that Tylee is thought to have died days before JJ.   

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

I didn't see that anyone had posted this. It's about the proposed jury instructions submitted by the prosecution and the defense teams. (I accidentally downloaded the documents submitted by both teams and they include lots of detail, so was going to try to screenshot the documents. Unfortunately, they run to 29 pages, so... :shrug:)

Also, Lori's team just asked the judge to not allow Kay and Larry Woodcock (JJ's grandparents) to be in the courtroom during the trial. If I understand correctly, Kay is expected to testify as a witness, so she can't watch the trial unless she is considered a legal victim of the crime. This quote from Lori's lawyer struck me as particularly cold:

Idaho Code does say immediate family members are considered victims of homicides, but the defense doesn't believe the Woodcocks exactly fall into that definition.

"Colby Ryan is the only one who qualifies under the statute to remain in the courtroom as a victim, but we do not believe the Woodcocks meet that definition. If they're intending to be called as witnesses, we ask they be excluded," Archibald said. "(Grandma) is a name she gave herself. Her son terminated parental rights, she's not a grandma."

(my bolding)

I am truly grateful that I am have not been called for jury duty this year. The prospect of potentially serving on this jury would have been awful. (Pretty sure they wouldn't want me, but still.)

ETA-- East Idaho News is a great source, but now that the trial will be starting soon in Ada County, I expect that KTVB (local NBC affiliate) will cover it pretty carefully. They have the biggest budget of the local television channels.

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
ETA
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

11 hours ago, marmalade said:

Is the trial going to be televised? 

According to the East Idaho News, the trial will not be on TV or livestreamed.

Where can I watch the trial?  Boyce has banned media cameras from broadcasting or livestreaming the trial. Members of the public can watch proceedings in the courtroom and an overflow location at the Ada County Courthouse. It will also be transmitted to a room in the Madison County Courthouse.

Limited portions of the jury selection process will be accessible to the public but primarily by seeing two remote feeds in local courthouses. In those cases, preference in getting a seat will be given to family members.

Probably the best way to follow it would be a live blog or live tweet, which I think Nate Eaton will be doing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Jury selection still underway!  They're looking for jurors who have no familiarity with the case...in a small city (pop. 36,000 or so, 95% Mormon). 

• Upvote 4

So basically they're looking for somebody who lives under a rock.

I have read of this case in the local news and I live in Finland...

• Upvote 5

Whoo boy, IT'S ON.  They finally have a jury plus many alternates.  Status as a regular juror or alternate will be assigned Monday when the jury is sworn in and seated.  

There's a crazy reservation system to get a seat in the courtroom.  Nate Eaton, the reported who helped break the original story for EastIdahoNews.com, will be live tweeting on Monday: 

Nate Eaton  @NateNewsNow

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

I prefer the way of not announcing who is an alternate until deliberations.  That way all jurors will be paying attention. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Justin Lum (reported for Fox 10 in Phoenix) live tweeted the trial today.

Details: 

• When found,  Tylee's hands were missing from her body
  • Tylee’s DNA was recovered from a pick axe in a shed on the Daybell property
  • Tammy Daybell was asphyxiated (hard to tell from the tweet) as the result of a deliberate act and not from a medical condition

22 hours ago, TN-peach said:

I prefer the way of not announcing who is an alternate until deliberations.  That way all jurors will be paying attention. 

In my experience as a juror in a five-day trail (medical malpractice) there only 12 seats in the jury box.  Each one  of those 12 seats was an insanely uncomfortable wooden chair.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

Day 2 testimony was utterly grim with graphic descriptions and photos of the process of excavating the remains of Tylee and JJ.   

Lori was "normal" in the morning, chatting with her attorneys.  Through her attorneys, Lori asked to be excused from attending the afternoon session of the trial and had obviously been crying.  The judge did not approve that request and Lori sat through the afternoon at the defense table with her head down.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

Hoo, boy.  Lori/Chad/Alex texts being read aloud in court today.   There was a plot to murder Charles and I'd have to say Zulema is not totally innocent.  She may not have played a role in the murder, BUT I think she was aware of the plot. 

Also Lori: finding out that she was not the beneficiary of Charles' million dollar insurance policy was like a spear through her heart.  But she still had $4,000 coming in each month from Social Security for both kids.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

I would kill to be in that courtroom. I wish there were cameras.

Oh, definitely.  There is So. Much. *hit. going down on an hourly basis, so much being revealed about the murderous wingnut insanity that was Chad, Lori and Alex.  I'm surprised the judge is allowing all of the back story about the murder of Charles, but it certainly shows Lori and Chad were both into offing their respective spouses.  There hasn't been discussion of murder for specific financial motive YET, but it's obvious that was the plan for both. Didn't work out for Lori, but Chad hit the jackpot when he murdered Tammy and got the life insurance $$$$  that paid for Hawaii. 

• Upvote 7

I'm a tad bit concerned that Melanie Gibb testified that Lori didn't know about the beneficiary being changed to Kay until after Charles died. I hope they have more evidence that proves Melanie was mistaken.

I think all the testimony about Charles being murdered is tied part and parcel to Tammy Daybell's death, and the deaths of JJ and Tylee. The instruction the judge gave/will give to the jurors about  Rule 404 is supposed to stop the jury from taking the death of Charles into account as a separate case, yet see it as a part of the Tammy, JJ and Tylee case. At least that is my understanding. 

Rule 404. Character Evidence; Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts | Federal Rules of Evidence | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

I would kill to be in that courtroom. I wish there were cameras.

Agreed. Itʻs such a complex case that it would be helpful to see actual testimony. 

Still, Nate Eaton is doing an amazing job of live-blogging the trial. Today's testimony on the welter of texts & emails among Lori, Chad, Charles, and everyone else is stunning. It also supports what people were saying earlier that Chad is the one who is running the show, not Lori.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

But somehow there had to be a point when it all came about that Chad and Lori wanted their respective spouses killed and Alex was just the man for  the job. 

And apparently Alex bought into all of Chad's crazy -- Chad gave him a blessing, Alex believed in Chad's zombie stuff, dark spirits,  on and on. How it was never apparent to anyone that, as a serial killer,  Alex was the true dark spirit is beyond me. 

Alex tried to kill Tammy when she was unloading groceries, but the weapon misfired or jammed.  Tammy thought it was a paintball gun.

I still think Alex was in Chad's house and actually murdered Tammy. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I think the prosecution has done a good job introducing the evidence, at least so far. It's a complicated case and the jurors could easily get confused with the timelines and so many characters. I've been following it for years and I still have to look at a timeline to keep the who-died-when dates straight.

I wish we could have seen the cell phone evidence power point today.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1