IGNORED

Trace Bates 3

samurai_sarah

My husband's job has him in Spanish speaking countries a good majority of the year. He understands quite a bit, and can fumble his way through basic communication, but despite 15+ years spending a large chunk of time in Spanish speaking countries he still isn't even remotely close to being fluent. And honestly, it's not really for lack wanting, it's that he had a bit of a speech impediment as a child and really the only way to learn a language is to practice but he is incredibly self conscious about trying to speak Spanish. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

They also mentioned they hope to teach the baby both English and German, but Lydia admits her German is a little unpracticed. Also, the name they choose will be German enough for her family in Germany to not have any issues pronouncing it, but not so German they would get teased in America.  

For the boy name, I’m thinking William- Bates family name and easy German translation. 

William is Lawson's first name. Has their been a direct name after a sibling? Plus I sort of feel like Lawson would use it. 

My husband and I had this same conversation with names. My MIL is not a native English speaker and there were a few names I liked that my husband thogguht she would struggle pronouncing, so they were scraped. 

16 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

They also mentioned they hope to teach the baby both English and German, but Lydia admits her German is a little unpracticed. Also, the name they choose will be German enough for her family in Germany to not have any issues pronouncing it, but not so German they would get teased in America.  

For the boy name, I’m thinking William- Bates family name and easy German translation. 

Karl and Hannah are my picks, unless Lydia already has a sibling with that name.

• Upvote 1

For those who might be interested, there is a Baby Names thread pinned to the top of the Duggars forum where all fundie baby names are discussed.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

William is Lawson's first name. Has their been a direct name after a sibling? Plus I sort of feel like Lawson would use it. 

My husband and I had this same conversation with names. My MIL is not a native English speaker and there were a few names I liked that my husband thogguht she would struggle pronouncing, so they were scraped. 

Lawson is named after papa Bill. I would think that a sibling might not use a first name as William so they can let Lawson name a son William if he wants to. But William as a middle name after their grandpa bill might be a possibility. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Lawson is named after papa Bill. I would think that a sibling might not use a first name as William so they can let Lawson name a son William if he wants to. But William as a middle name after their grandpa bill might be a possibility. 

Yeah I can see William as a middle name for another sibling but I always felt like Lawson would have a son name William with a. Teeny middle name they use as a first name.

It seems like Papa Bill is pretty sick so I could definitely see him getting a namesake soon. 

• Upvote 1

If they want to ensure a „good“ pronunciation by her German relatives they probably won’t use any th sounds. That’s the one people struggle the most with.
On a whole, I do feel though that English/American pronunciation of names won’t be a big problem. Through the media they are everywhere. Even my rural grandparents (90) are capable of this. What might happen is that the pronunciation gets affected by dialect which would be the same with Standard German.  Example: Martin (GER) and Martyn only sound slightly different, it’s the same name though and with dialect they would both sound the same but not like the standard German pronunciation.

I am going only by pronunciation here. Because names like Hugh or Rhett would definitely give people some problems from reading it to saying it. But after one or two corrections it wouldn’t be a problem. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is Lydia's 25th birthday today. She is 1 day older than Carlin and it is a big reminder of how early the Bates girls get married and have babies. Lydia has been married for 6 months and is pregnant with her first baby. Carlin has been married for almost 4 years and has a 3 year old and a 1 year old. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

So Trace and Lydia went to Destin for her 25th birthday, came.home long enough for her to be a bridesmaid in a wedding and are now back in Florida with Nathan/Esther and Lawson/Tiffany.

• WTF 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

So Trace and Lydia went to Destin for her 25th birthday, came.home long enough for her to be a bridesmaid in a wedding and are now back in Florida with Nathan/Esther and Lawson/Tiffany.

Yep. I wonder if maybe they were helping Jackson out with his move? Not that they need an excuse to have yet another vacation.

1 hour ago, llucie said:

Yep. I wonder if maybe they were helping Jackson out with his move? Not that they need an excuse to have yet another vacation.

I feel like Nathan and Esther probably did as they were also coming from Arkansas. Lawson and Tiffany visited Erin first..then it looks like the 3 couples met up at a hotel or resort. 

17 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Sometimes I am a tiny bit jealous about the life the have. But then I remember that it comes with the cost of being around people like Gil Bates and JB Duggar. 

• Upvote 11

3 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

Sometimes I am a tiny bit jealous about the life the have. But then I remember that it comes with the cost of being around people like Gil Bates and JB Duggar. 

And, more importantly, at the cost of personal freedom! No proper education, no intellectual curiosity permitted, no freedom to choose the profession you want, rigid gender roles, no reproductive rights, there must be so much shame, so much guilt when you start having doubts … the list goes on…

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

And, more importantly, at the cost of personal freedom! No proper education, no intellectual curiosity permitted, no freedom to choose the profession you want, rigid gender roles, no reproductive rights, there must be so much shame, so much guilt when you start having doubts … the list goes on…

I tried to type more, in the direction you wrote. Then I gave up, deleted a lot of text, because it was bulky and not really on point. Exactly what you did. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Trace and Lydia announced the name: Ryker Cruise

I never would have guessed that. It just sounds like a prison boat to me. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 3

5 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Well, so much for making it pronounceable in German!

Nameberry credits Ryker as being "German in Origin" and it actually would be pretty pronounceavle in German (just with a more American spelling). 

• Upvote 1

They’re saying Ryker means rich and that Cruise means bold, fierce.  

• Rufus Bless 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Nameberry credits Ryker as being "German in Origin" and it actually would be pretty pronounceavle in German (just with a more American spelling). 

I meant, the y is pronounced differently. I suppose that's fine. I have friends who are a Canadian/German couple who say their kid's name differently (the e) and everyone seems to be surviving.

I never thought they would go with uberGerman name like people predicted. Ryker isn't my favorite, but different styles for different people. Ryker currently ranks #175 in the US. 

5 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I meant, the y is pronounced differently. I suppose that's fine. I have friends who are a Canadian/German couple who say their kid's name differently (the e) and everyone seems to be surviving.

Oh yeah it a more American spelling. My husband and I did this too, though. We picked names that were pronounceavle in his language but gave them the American spelling.

Just now, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I never thought they would go with uberGerman name like people predicted. Ryker isn't my favorite, but different styles for different people. Ryker currently ranks #175 in the US. 

I know multiple Rykers, all under the age of 10. It is the kind of trendy but different name the Bates seem to love. 

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic