IGNORED

Seewalds 48: Homophobia Now Mixed With Hypocrisy

nelliebelle1197

8 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I remember her saying they were planning to wait awhile before having kids when she got married. The Seewalds apparently were doing a family photo shoot today. I’m guessing that Jessica is still in town visiting from Germany. I would think that Ben/Jessa and kids would also be there although Easter (sorry, Resurrection Sunday) weekend is probably a busy time for Ben.

Ben, Jessa, etc. could have visited through this evening and driven home with a full night's sleep in their own beds in order for Ben to preach tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

Guinn and the photographer posted more pictures from the Seewald photo shoot. Guinn said in the comments that Jessa and the kids couldn’t come due to sickness. For a photogenic family, these photos didn’t come out very well.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.7d5e29fd6e37c824d98e8781c2a61e69.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Anyone else find it odd that Jessa has not posted on YouTube for a couple months?

She's gone months between videos before. I think she's laying low after the D&C backlash she received.

She'll post another video when they need the money from their Youtube ad revenue.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m glad she’s not posting. I’m getting sick of fundies who basically just post child related content to make their money. I wish Jessa took Jinger’s lead but she would never do that. Because Jinger always had to follow Jessa’s lead growing up. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Jessa posted a video of Fern’s birthday week. Quite boring, but the kids are cute. In my opinion Ivy looks so much like Jessa while Fern is very much a Seewald, yet they look a lot alike too. Anyway, only a few glimpses of Jessa sitting on the couch dressed in black. I wonder if she’s pregnant. There’s something about the way she sits with her legs that makes me think that might be the case. Time will tell.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cupcake79 said:

Jessa posted a video of Fern’s birthday week. Quite boring, but the kids are cute. In my opinion Ivy looks so much like Jessa while Fern is very much a Seewald, yet they look a lot alike too. Anyway, only a few glimpses of Jessa sitting on the couch dressed in black. I wonder if she’s pregnant. There’s something about the way she sits with her legs that makes me think that might be the case. Time will tell.

Since she had a miscarriage, I sort of figured she would want to get pregnant right away. That’s why it wouldn’t surprise me at all if she is pregnant. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I'm positive that she is, not only based on how she's sitting, but also the weird zoom in on the kids to cut Jessa  out of the frame when they are on the couch and she's bending.

Spoiler

IMG_1731.thumb.jpg.984aa56f1d02b764eb131fb6f7e2d46f.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Spurge got baptized. Isn't it a bit young for these IFB folks? 

62C047D8-A8CD-4A3D-B3F8-89B7A5A2585C.jpeg.a112d711066f7178abf297b3bb366787.jpeg

No. This seems pretty standard. These folk preach hellfire starting from the crib. By the time the kid is 4/5/6/7 they figure out that they don’t want to spend forever in fire and pain and torture. So they ask to get baptized asap. I can’t imagine putting that kind of fear into a young child. But most of them seem so proud when they are baptized this young. As if they have any other choice. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

I wonder if he would have been baptized so young if his family were just regular members of the church? 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, marmalade said:

Spurge got baptized. Isn't it a bit young for these IFB folks? 

62C047D8-A8CD-4A3D-B3F8-89B7A5A2585C.jpeg.a112d711066f7178abf297b3bb366787.jpeg

I can't remember how old he is, but in my mainstream baptist church it wasn't unusual for kids aged about 6/7/8 to want to get baptized. I remember doing it around 8. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, AverageGiraffe said:

I can't remember how old he is, but in my mainstream baptist church it wasn't unusual for kids aged about 6/7/8 to want to get baptized. I remember doing it around 8. 

I was 9. I've seen one kid who was not quite 6 be baptized, and there was some whispering about it among the congregation but no one objected. To be fair he was a bit mature for his age compared to the other boys, at least. He's now in college and still in the church, as far as I know.

I decided to go forward for baptism after attending a church camp. We had some fire and brimstone on Sundays and then camp was very we-are-all-a-family and positive and I think the combo created a "mountaintop moment" for me. 

Now I attend church occasionally just for the chance to play handbells, because the community handbell group seems to always manage to schedule concerts on work days so I'd have to leave early, and I was not down with paying dues AND losing work hours. If somebody started up a secular (or heathen even) handbell coven that was conveniently timed and fun rather than a burden, I'd be on it. But right now, church it is. 

• Upvote 7

My mainstream baptist church I grew up in would never baptize a kid under 10. And when I was around that age, I was baptized. Most baptisms were at least young teens or adults. But some tweens like me were baptized. My church was not a hellfire and brimstone type of baptist church. So I wasn’t scared into it young. But of course it didn’t stick into adulthood since I’m a dirty heathen 😝

• Upvote 1

I was baptized at five. It's a big deal. Asking Jesus into you heart can happen at home with your parents but it's usually a stranger or near stranger baptizing you so even at a young age you need to believe so strongly that this is a step in your faith journey that you need to take that you are willing to trust a stranger to put you under water and bring you back up. I'm not opposed to instituting a minimum age. On the other hand--unless someone is really, really pressuring them and they don't want to--getting wet isn't going to kill them. The same thing happens at the local pool all the time. Pretty sure that even Reformed Baptists don't require baptism for salvation so this isn't a matter of being scared into it with threats of hellfire.

• Upvote 4

I remember Abigail and Bethany Maxwell (as in, Steve Maxwell's grandkids) were baptised very young, Abigail was 6 and Bethany just four, this would've been early 2015 I think? Then Christina was done a couple of years later when she was five. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

How old is Spurge now?

I don't know what age I was but my absolutely earliest church memory is being in Sunday school (Southern baptist) for probably pre-k or maybe? kindergarten aged children and the Sunday school teacher being very sad I wasn't going out to proselytize and thus was going to go to hell.  I don't remember what she said exactly but it was made very clear to me that I was on the road to hell and needed to get my act together. (I was extremely shy and introverted. The idea of talking to any stranger about any topic at all caused me to freeze in terror).

We know from Jrod that age 4 is sort of normal. 6+ must seem ancient.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 6
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

How old is Spurge now?

He's 7, will be 8 in November. Very young, but not the youngest child I've heard of getting baptized.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I remember Abigail and Bethany Maxwell (as in, Steve Maxwell's grandkids) were baptised very young, Abigail was 6 and Bethany just four, this would've been early 2015 I think? Then Christina was done a couple of years later when she was five. 

That’s no surprise since Steve talks about hell all the damn time. 

• Upvote 2

I was baptized in a Congregationalist church at 6.  They gave a flower as part of the baptism and I wanted one.  My older brother also got baptized the same day and I took his flower, too.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I was 24 days old, my church believes in infant baptism. 

I was also a baby when I got baptized. My 19 year old dad got baptized at the same time. I was told they did it by sprinkling water on the forehead from a rose petal. This all came from my Dad’s mom. She was raised nominally Catholic, I think, but then did a lot of church and spiritual belief shopping while my Dad was growing up. Lots of numerology and Christian Scientist and crystals and positive thinking. Finally settled on a God Is Love type church and got very involved. I was pretty shocked when I learned about all this fire and brimstone stuff when I was older. People around me were mostly vaguely Catholic if anything. And a large population of Jehovah Witnesses in my school and extended family. One neighbor friend who went to an actual Christian private school and did the immersion baptism at 9ish, but that was unusual as far as I knew. The born again evangelicals became popular when I was a teen, and quite a few people I grew up with fell in with that and got baptized. Often after big struggles as teens. 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic