IGNORED

PCC Cancels Musical Group

nelliebelle1197

Because cancel culture is a leftist thing.

Evangelicals are such hypocrites- the group has a gay member so let’s cancel the gays

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/florida-christian-college-cancels-cappella-group-singers-lifestyle-rcna71028?fbclid=IwAR29TcGABnBeoqPIjL6e5K5-XwWKfpPpIamMydTciNQMLiduyCJn20sXy9s

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

Oh FFS.  Fuck PCC.  I have loved The Kings' Singers all my life and even got to see them live once (exquisite).  Hey PCC, newsflash, you undoubtedly have gay faculty and numerous gay students, they just wouldn't dare say it.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

Oh FFS.  Fuck PCC.  I have loved The Kings' Singers all my life and even got to see them live once (exquisite).  Hey PCC, newsflash, you undoubtedly have gay faculty and numerous gay students, they just wouldn't dare say it.

I just hate that they are allowed to get away with this. Makes me so angry.

• Upvote 3

Someone posted this on a bates thread since they have some in laws who went to PCC. I commented on that thread that if the guy was openly divorced and not openly gay, they never would have cancelled. 

• I Agree 2

If PCC and other fundies focused more on their own sin instead of the sin of others, there would be less abuse and hate in their churches. As a mom of a Christian lesbian, I hate that churches not only decided she lives in sin, but that church appointed sin is the worst.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, KWLand said:

If PCC and other fundies focused more on their own sin instead of the sin of others, there would be less abuse and hate in their churches. As a mom of a Christian lesbian, I hate that churches not only decided she lives in sin, but that church appointed sin is the worst.  

Two of my best friends are lesbians and both are Episcopal priests; she should find a good social justice Episcopal congregation!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Two of my best friends are lesbians and both are Episcopal priests; she should find a good social justice Episcopal congregation!

We currently a Methodist congregation that welcomes her and loves her.  After college graduation she does hope to move to a larger area with more church options.   

while I disagree with PCC, what a message it sends to any other singing groups or speakers that may not have realized what they were signing up for when they agree to sing/speak there.  

• Love 3

3 hours ago, KWLand said:

We currently a Methodist congregation that welcomes her and loves her.  After college graduation she does hope to move to a larger area with more church options.   

while I disagree with PCC, what a message it sends to any other singing groups or speakers that may not have realized what they were signing up for when they agree to sing/speak there.  

This is true. It is good for people to know now so they can opt out.

• Upvote 1

(I am not excusing anything).

I am surprised that anybody in real life is surprised by this.

PCC has very long been known for their extreme student (and other) rules. They self-identify as IFB but IMO are far to the right of many IFBs. They segregate stairwells, some sidewalks, elevators by gender. That's just one of their rules.

PCC is the source for Abeka homeschooling materials.

Before placing themselves on the venue list for this group, PCC should have been upfront about their expectations. If they had concerns, they should have addressed the concerns (no I am not excusing what they did) before entering into contract to have the group present. I hope they had to go ahead and shell out $ even though the concert didn't happen.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

I wasn't surprised, just disgusted.

And I agree that it's strange that they got as far as scheduling them at all, since they seem to always be so careful to make sure their bigotry is enforced in all areas.

6 minutes ago, apple1 said:

I hope they had to go ahead and shell out $ even though the concert didn't happen.

Me too!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

On 2/16/2023 at 4:46 PM, nelliebelle1197 said:

I just hate that they are allowed to get away with this. Makes me so angry.

You're angry now, just wait until Florida's governor gives PCC some sort of award for stopping WOKE music. Or maybe he'll just call a press conference to praise PCC and demand more tax dollars go to religious institutions that agree with his views. 

Edited by shesinsane
failure to proofread.
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, shesinsane said:

You're angry now, just wait until Florida's governor gives PCC some sort of award for stopping WOKE music. Or maybe he'll just call a press conference to praise PCC and demand more tax dollars go to religious institutions that agree with his views. 

I partially grew up in Florida and I just am constantly appalled.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 2

On 2/16/2023 at 8:55 PM, nelliebelle1197 said:

cancel culture is a leftist thing.

And I do. not. understand. this.

It is clear that the wannabe book-burners, the drag queen story cancelling types etc are *all* not leftie types. I just read a story from TN about banning male/female impersonators as "obscene", with typical disqualifiers about "some Republicans have said it would not broadly affect drag shows, only those with material that fits under the state's existing obscenity laws and under a strict obscenity test defined by the U.S. Supreme Court." (yeah, like the word of Republicans is in any way honest and trustworthy - like, BC is not under review, no prosecutions of women who seek abortions, etc. All totally honest....)
https://eu.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/02/23/tennessee-drag-bill-to-ban-certain-performances-passes-general-assembly/69935840007/

I have seen so many memes online about being brought up in the 60s-90s and being "groomed" by drag artists (all tongue in cheek, mainly referencing classic comedy shows); am wondering how the children of the UK, with our obsessive panto/drag christmas shows have avoided all becoming gay bestiality practicing SOs - then I remember that the UK is, despite our official non-separation of state/church (though, see the SNP leadership election...) a gloriously agnostic nation. Soooo many other faults, but that I applaud. 

I know WHY, but *how* do these people manage to convince themselves that cancel culture is a leftie thing? The "wee Free" SMP running to take over from Nicola Sturgeon is trying to make out that she is being "cancelled" for being a religious bigot, sorry, public servant who is a Christian *woman* (her main opponent is a Muslim *man*) - but she is an elected Scottish MP. People just hate her views, overall, but she has not been silenced. She was not an MSP when the SSM bill was passed - but said, if she had been, she would have voted against it. OTOH, she *also* says that she only applies her religious beliefs (children born out-of-wedlock = sin, SSM = sin, not keeping the sabbath = sin) to herself and is pro-equality for everyone, especially minorities. Except she will vote to *keep* them treated as second class citizens. This is all over the news in the UK, and yet she is "attacked" and "persecuted" and "cancelled".

I don't get it - even if the only news you read is right wing tabloid tripe - (and I do, occasionally, with ad blockers -  know thine enemy etc, and the Daily Mail will die if I ever become a billionaire...): the lefties in the EU cancel holocaust deniers at Uni debates, for example. Or Andrew Wakefield types. The Right cancels everyone, repeatedly, even adverts for tampons, FFS, or cornflake adverts with a biracial couple and surely this is obvious? I mean, it isn't the left sending out shit to encourage people to gun down planned parenthood, or refugee centres? When was the last time the leftties encouraged boybotting a laundry detergent because, shock horror, the dad didn't know how to use a washing machihne?

I kinda wish people like Germaine Greer were "platformed" more, as I'd like to see their TERF perspective get destroyed more - but it's down to the students at their own universities to decide their students want to hear. What you *don't* see generally is the leftie type trying to pass laws to ban/criminalize stuff, outside of actual outright hate speech (and even then, ppl like Steven Anderson are banned by extremely non-liberal governments, who can hardly be called lefties). 

I have had this battle a bit with my mother - generally a laid back centre-right person, with liberal social views ( and I mean centre-right by John Major UK tories/EU types, certainly not current Tories..) but she reads the fucking daily mail. I can always tell when she hasn't got out much (very bad at the moment, since she broke her shoulder, and doesn't even meet fellow dog walkers, ugh - she also suddenly gets into weird things like copper bracelets etc....). We talk, she realizes that say, banning is Steven Anderson is reasonable... a few weeks later, it's all, "well, you can't censor people". And I'm like, "Mum, I don't want to censor people, but literal flat earthers/holocaust deniers/etc are over-represented in MSM as it is. " And then she agrees, and remembers all the ME/gay couples she did IVF counselling for, and is still friends with etc...

(She worked at Bourne Hall, so early IVF days - the number of women she had to counsel after they were left in the UK penniless, minus passports etc - even when it was the man's infertility that was the problem - and she is like, "yeah, you're right, bring down the patriarchy etc etc". She later treated a bunch of LGBTQ couples that I remember her literally partying for when they got their baby - she was so happy that good people, who would be good parents, got the chance!) A few weeks later, with no other input, she starts believing some of the shit again. Never the QAnon type shit, but still the "Why can't your side be more tolerant" shit. And after 44 years, she hasn't learned that I. Will. Not. Let. It. Go. And every single fucking time, I have to remind her that "cancel culture" (the leftie way) is something she agreed with -  like she never liked the "jokes" about MILs, women, minorities - they were never "cancelled", here, either. People just realized that punching down is bullying, not comedy, and the "left" just cancelled this stuff by criticizing it, and not going, not criminalizing it. And actually she doesn't want vaccine deniers etc spreading BS either- but the fucking RW shit she reads gets her every so often. I wish my brother would argue against it more, as he sees her every few days - but he also doesn't spend hours reading about RW freaks...

I'm sorry for the rant, but this "leftie cancel culture" is such an obvious pile of shit, and no one in my RL cares about it (except my teenage German English students!); and many people in my RL need endless nudging to accept that they need to read other media than RW tabloid shit.) And HOW can normal, intelligent, non-religiously-homeschooled types, who actually learned some critical thinking skills, just blindly accept obvious untruths like "the left" is the "cancel culture" group?

• Upvote 3

On 2/18/2023 at 4:13 PM, thoughtful said:

it's strange that they got as far as scheduling them at all, since they seem to always be so careful to make sure their bigotry is enforced in all areas.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:06 PM, apple1 said:

Well, to be fair to PCC, the OG King's Singers were all ostensibly celibate or straight and married... the fact that, over 50+ years, the members may have changed a few times, clearly didn't occur to PCC. Had anyone bothered to google the members from the last 5-15 years, they would have known this, but I guess the married gay guys didn't post anything explicit enough for Covenant Eyes to spot. Or the Press Officer or whoever was using a linux partition (as am I, but I don't google for gay sex references)

Still isn't this the "college" that had sex segregated stairwells or something extreme? You'd think they'd be more careful about 0s and 1s passing in the night and all that.

I did "appreciate" how PCC's statement claimed they treated the KSs with dignity - like yeah, if you subscribe to the "when I Use a word, it means what I want it to mean" school. I hope they had to pay a fuckton of money, and that the KSs weren't losing out, but a lot of PCC types were. Also, I wonder if, say, Tchaikovsky is off the approved music list at PCC now. Too much non-god-approved sex in Wagner - though, since I doubt these muppets speak German, how would they know? Certainly no Benjamin Britten, Bernstein, Poulenc, Handel... no female composers, obv. or is that OK for *reasons*?

• Upvote 1

To the right cancel culture=persecuting Christians and what this country was founded on.  Nobody is able to convince them that the country was not founded on Christian principles.  Even showing them writing from our founding fathers won’t convince them.   They don’t accept that Christians can be democrats or anti-Republican or even republicans who don’t agree with the party.  It’s a war on Christianity in their eyes and the culture is how they imagine the past was.

at least that’s my understanding of what many believe.

james Dobson, founder of focus on the family, encouraged boycotting Disney back in the 90s.  It’s not a new thing, they are just two stubborn to realize both sides are trying to cancel culture, unfortunately for us one side wants to go backwards to what they’d describe I’m sure as the “good ole days” when white rich straight men were the only people who mattered.

• Upvote 4