IGNORED

Adventureland Permanently Closing Ride

47of74

Adventureland (think Iowa's version of Six Flags) decided to permanently shut down a ride that had caused two fatalities. 

An amusement park ride that was involved in a fatal accident in the summer of 2021 will not reopen, according to park officials.

Adventureland made the announcement that the Raging River water ride would not return in an open letter from Bill Lentz, the park’s general manager. Lentz has been in charge of the facility since Palace Entertainment purchased it from the Krantz family, its original owners.

“We have decided to permanently close the Raging River attraction. The decision comes after months of examination of the ride, working closely with its manufacturer to identify what enhancements each would need to meet our operating standards,” Lentz said, in the statement. “Based upon that review, the best path forward is to close Raging River, and focus on enhancing the Adventureland experience elsewhere.”

Michael Jaramillo, 11, from the Cedar Rapids area, was killed in an incident on the ride in July 2021. The raft that the Jaramillo family was riding on flipped over, injuring three others. David Jaramillo, 16, spent over a month in a Des Moines hospital due to his injuries, initially being placed on life support.

Raging River had been there a really long time.  I rode on it way back in the late 80s on my first trip there.  But I think the park was absolutely right to close the ride given the deaths and injuries and how dangerous the ride was getting.  But they should have closed it down years ago after the first fatality and not kept it going.  Especially if they're not going to maintain it or staff it right.

• Move Along 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.