IGNORED

Post Partum Psychosis Syndrome + murder

Howl

A woman in Massachusetts strangled her three children and attempted to commit suicide last week.  She had been diagnosed with post partum psychosis and was admitted to a psychiatric hospital. She was subsequently released to five times a week outpatient treatment. 

Her husband had been working from home. When he left the house for about twenty minutes to pick up a food order, she strangled all three children (IIRC, ages 7, 5 and 9 months), killing the two older kids. She then tried to commit suicide by jumping out of a second story window.  The infant was life-flighted to a hospital but died a day or two later.  

She has been charged with murder.  I don't know if she is currently in a psychiatric hospital or in jail.  Everyone is desperately hoping that the murder charges will be dropped and she'll receive psychiatric care. 

She was a nurse and the outpouring of support from her husband, friends and  co-workers has been  amazing; she is well loved in her community.   Post-partum psychosis can come on suddenly and is marked by delusions and paranoia -- psychosis.  There is no information at this point whether she had depression or PPS with her previous two kids. 

There is a lot of hope on social media  that the horror of this incident will highlight the awareness of PPS and how severe it can be. 

This took me right back to Andrea Yates, who had a long history of mental illness.  After suffering form major post-partum mental illness after the birth of her 4th child, her psychiatrist strongly advised against another pregnancy because the risk of another round of post partum psychosis was extremely high.

But Rusty and Andrea were quiverfull and had a 5th child; Andrea was diagnosed with post partum psychosis. 

In the brief window (about 20 minutes) between when Rusty went to work and Rusty's mom arrived to stay with Andrea and help out as she did every day,  Andrea drowned all of her children. 

She was tried for first degree murder and spent some years in prison.  She was retried and found not guilty by reason of insanity.  She is currently in a mental hospital in Kerrville, TX and will likely spent the rest of her life there.  Patriarch Rusty divorced Andrea, remarried and is living his best life. 

I'm in Texas and you may also be in a state that has or is in the process of outlawing abortion.  

It made me realize that there are women who have struggled with severe post-partum illness who have been advised to not have more children but find themselves pregnant.  They will now be forced to carry that pregnancy knowing some very rocky, terrifying or even dangerous times lie ahead.  This is especially true for single mothers without support. 

• Sad 12

I've seen a bit about the MA case. Just tragic. I admire her husband for trying to speak out about PPD and what it does to people.

Re: Andrea Yates. While she committed the murders, I've always felt that her vile ex-husband, Rusty, should have been held responsible somehow. He had been involved in her psychiatric treatment plans which explicitly said that Andrea should NOT be left alone at any time and should have constant supervision. He flouted these recommendations, thinking that she needed to develop the independence to become a good mother.

ETA: Some years ago, I came across this legal analysis of the case which is very critical of how the prosecution handled the issue of PPD, including its psychiatric expert's lack of expertise in this area. It's a free download:

Part I of this Article briefly discusses Andrea’s life up to her marriage to Rusty as well as the outcome of her trial. Part II provides an overview of the insanity defense and the strict Texas insanity standard. Part III examines Dietz’s background, his reputation, and his psychiatric philosophy, in addition to his proclivity to testify for the prosecution. Part IV describes Andrea’s history of mental illness, especially her postpartum psychosis that started with the birth of her first child and ended with a severe psychotic episode. Part V focuses on Dietz’s testimony in the Yates trial, beginning with his pre-trial interview with Andrea and ending with an analysis of his conclusions. The discussion emphasizes the speculative nature of many of Dietz’s statements and their lack of connection to Andrea’s history of mental illness. Part VI presents the other perspectives and experts in the Yates case, and considers how the case might have reached a different result with a more consistent defense strategy or a less rigid insanity standard.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 5

I just wanted to add that I think Rusty was telling his mother to come over later that day. His Quiverfull beliefs dictated that Andrea, the mother, be in charge of the kids, not getting help from grandma. He and his pastor believed they knew much more than the doctors, despite Andrea’s very troubled history.

While I’m glad PPP is getting more coverage, I’m dreadfully sad it had to be this way. And I’m still enraged at Rusty Yates.

• Upvote 2
  • Angry 1
  • WTF 4

This is so terribly sad all around.  This woman was a labor and delivery nurse at the hospital where some of my children were born, and where I will be delivering again soon.  It is one of the best hospitals in the country.  Just goes to show that this has nothing to do with how much education or awareness one has about childbirth or postpartum mental health. It's truly heartbreaking.

My social circle is full of "mom friends" these days, so most people I know are reacting with empathy even as they acknowledge how horrific the events were.  Lots of us have had struggles with postpartum depression and never told anyone and are starting to share now.  Which is a good thing.  Women with PPD should not be ashamed or feel alone.  But I also worry that a lot of people aren't seeming to make the distinction between postpartum depression and postpartum psychosis.  I hope that doesn't create barriers where new mothers are afraid to ask for help because people will label them as dangerous, or avoid confiding in family members in case they assume they will hurt their babies.

Part of me wants to ask my OB about all this at my appointment this week but part of me doesn't because he would have been this woman's coworker and I'm sure their whole department must really be hurting now.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 8

Rusty Yates is despicable. 

I hope that the most recent case will help shine more light on this and give women the help that they need. 

• Upvote 8

As horrible as Rusty's decisions were, the Yates were under the influence of Michael Woroniecki, a fire and brimstone, hell and damnation itinerant wing-nut preacher man.  Many  believe his  horrible teachings led Andrea, who suffered from schizophrenia in addition to PPS,  to believe she was such a terrible mother that she was COMPELLED to murder her children to save them from eternal damnation. 

Yates' Preacher Warned of Hellfire 

Woroniecki preached a relentless message that the entire world was going to hell. 

"This is the same man Andrea Yates depended on for religious guidance. Psychiatrist Lucy Puryear told Cynthia Hunt of ABCNEWS' Houston affiliate KTRK that Yates' fate might have been different if she never met Woroniecki.

"It's heartbreaking," Puryear said on Good Morning America. "She has schizophrenia. She still would have been ill, but I don't believe she ever, ever would have drowned her children."

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

While Andre Yates was diagnosed with schizophrenia at time of trial, her current diagnosis is bipolar with psychotic features. She is reportedly stable with medication and treatment. Not likely to be released any time soon because of the high profile nature and seriousness of the case.

Edited by noseybutt
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5