IGNORED

Sister Wives 8: And Another One Down, Another One Bites the Dust?

Coconut Flan

On 2/3/2023 at 10:24 AM, viii said:

I don't think Robyn will divorce him anytime soon. She comes across as the type that doesn't want to be alone, and I doubt she would willingly go back to a life of single mom unless she had no choice, or she had a better option come along. 

If a better option comes along. I can totally picture Robyn running into the arms of any man within her age range who’s got a bit of money (maybe not even rich, but you know comfortable) is monogamous and loves her children. Especially if Kody becomes too miserable for her to mange on her own. I think she’s the type of person to just take any opportunity that suits her.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

On 2/4/2023 at 1:53 PM, Coconut Flan said:

Christine can't collect on Kody's record as a common law wife because the US doesn't recognize bigamy.  Kody was legally married to someone else during his time with Christine barring the few days between divorce and remarriage.  

Good point. Does the federal government recognize any kind of relationship Christine could claim? Women in polygamy really get the short end of the stick, don’t they? For many of them there is no health insurance, no social security, no life insurance, a hidden existence, no legal claim to property/money, no say if there’s a medical emergency with the husband. For the Browns, Janelle and Christine really lose out compared to Meri and Robyn.  Except that they got out!

• Upvote 6

On 2/4/2023 at 3:34 PM, Letgo said:

I’ve been wondering about something. Now that the first three wives are exes in their 50s, what does the future hold for them financially? I’m especially wondering about Christine. She raised the kids for years and didn’t have a paycheck, so no social security withholding. Can she get social security from Kody’s work record? They were never legally married, but (sort of, when safe) presented as a married couple, and lived as such. Meri and Janelle have/have had longer work records established so they’re in better shape. But how do they all divide the family money/property for support and retirement? I hope Christine and the other wives receive individual paychecks for the show so they’ll get some social security. If it’s still around! How much can people make from selling Lula Ro or Plexus?

A few people make a killing and most lose money. Christine is able to cash in on her celebrity status and made her house payments on her Flagstaff house. She was lucky to claim the profit from the house and reinvest in another or she'd be in houseless like Janell.

• Upvote 2

On 2/5/2023 at 5:10 PM, Letgo said:

Good point. Does the federal government recognize any kind of relationship Christine could claim? Women in polygamy really get the short end of the stick, don’t they? For many of them there is no health insurance, no social security, no life insurance, a hidden existence, no legal claim to property/money, no say if there’s a medical emergency with the husband. For the Browns, Janelle and Christine really lose out compared to Meri and Robyn.  Except that they got out!

The episode where they sign the divorce papers- Meri reads a clause that essentially states that Kody has no future financial obligations to her or Mariah. Kody said something to the effect of “yeah we’ll work that out later” but I doubt Meri can really benefit considering Kody’s legally remarried. 

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

Sing along: Christine has a boyfriend, Christine has a boyfriend!

What worries me about future boyfriends is that I hope they don’t settle for a guy who is better than Kody. Because practically every guy is better than Kody! So the bar is very low. I just want them to find partners that actually treat them well and respect them. 

• Upvote 14

41 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

The episode where they sign the divorce papers- Meri reads a clause that essentially states that Kody has no future financial obligations to her or Mariah. Kody said something to the effect of “yeah we’ll work that out later” but I doubt Meri can really benefit considering Kody’s legally remarried. 

Meri can still make a claim for Social Security on Kody's record when she reaches the appropriate age.  The federal government has its own rules and doesn't acknowledge divorce provisions like that.  It might keep Meri from claiming any pension rights depending on if Kody has any, the exact provision, and the state(s) where they are living.  

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

Here is some anti-mlm content on why it’s exploitative for celebrities like Christine and Janelle to sell plexus. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What worries me about future boyfriends is that I hope they don’t settle for a guy who is better than Kody. Because practically every guy is better than Kody! So the bar is very low. I just want them to find partners that actually treat them well and respect them. 

Please say this louder for the people in the back. When coming out of any kind of abusive relationship this can be a hard thing for people to see/realize. I know because I’ve been there twice. The bar was on the floor so to speak, and I thought guys just hovering over said bar were just the best thing since sliced bread. Then some time passed, and I realized there was more worthy options. But yes, this is a huge learning curve. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 9

Are you guys watching Gwendolyn's reaction videos? She does not hold back! I watched her reactions for episodes 6 and 7 today and learned:

- She full on blames Kody for all the issues with the family and that hes never spent enough time with his kids, is a hypocrite with his standards in spending time with people, and is essentially in a monogamous relationship with his favorite wife, Robbyn

- Kody, for all his covid paranoia, is not vaccinated (!!!!)

- Kody has gone down the qanon road and is definitely all about "owning the libs"

- She is not into MLMs, and talks about her family being into them (plexus, lululemon) though doesn't name any specifically

- She is a total atheis, talks about when she stopped believing in God

Also I didn't know about Mormon food storage culture which is really interesting. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 8

2 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

@freethemall What is Mormon food storage?! I've never heard of that! 

Oh it’s a very mainstream Mormon belief. They must always be prepared. So all Mormons are encouraged to have plenty of shelf sustainable food stored for possible apocalypse. I don’t think they call it the apocalypse but they are encouraged to do mini prepper stuff just in case. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

Wow ok. I remember an episode of Big Love (not exactly the best place to get information on a religion lol) where Barb was doing something in the basement with sifting weevils out of rice or something. Lots of shelves and stuff. I guess that's what that was about.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, fluffernutter said:

Wow ok. I remember an episode of Big Love (not exactly the best place to get information on a religion lol) where Barb was doing something in the basement with sifting weevils out of rice or something. Lots of shelves and stuff. I guess that's what that was about.

Yes. Basically Mormons were preppers  before prepping became cool. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

Which is why they also have some eye watering go-to foods (🤮)  because they obviously don’t throw out the stuff after 3 years (which at least WAS the length they were supposed to be able to live off the storage) Many things that are shelf stable for 3 years are a bit “interesting”

Edited by Mrs Ms
Forgot a word
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

they obviously don’t throw out the stuff after 3 years (which at least WAS the length they were supposed to be able to live off the storage)

While I completely get that people would want to know for how much time they should be prepared I cannot help but feeling very amused at the thought of some religious prophet being like,

„There will be the APOCALYPSE, all mankind will be in FEAR and MOURNING and the unbelievers shall PERISH. But GOD in his GLORY shall come in at the right time and DELIVER THE RIGHTEOUS!

And just so you are better able to prepare, God lets you know that, in his estimate, the apocalypse will last for three years, at the maximum."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

On 2/7/2023 at 6:50 PM, Cults-r-us said:

Sing along: Christine has a boyfriend, Christine has a boyfriend!

Does that mean Robyn finally considers Kody and Christine to be divorced? I know everyone was waiting on her approval.

• Haha 11

I had to live with a Mormon family for a few months as a teenager (long story). One weekend, we went to a barbeque at the home of one of the families from their ward. They had an entire shed in their yard that was dedicated to food storage that the wife showed off to everyone.

I later learned that Mormons buy the majority of their food for food storage directly from one of the LDS church's many businesses. It's just another cash grab for them (y'know, because collecting 10% of members' incomes in tithing obviously isn't enough.)

• Upvote 8

On 1/30/2023 at 1:40 AM, Cults-r-us said:

Anybody reading Kody and Robyn had a failed courtship attempt with a lady in South America?  Is Season 19 going to be filming failed courtships and Robyn crying over how unf---able they are?

Will this show be titled 90 Day Fiancée: Plyg Style.

• Haha 3

On 2/15/2023 at 6:25 AM, freethemall said:

Down the Rabbit Hole said  WOACB has a little boundary problem and published Christine's boyfriend's financial history on her Facebook page. I thought WOACB has been reasonable commenting on SW but she seems (to me) unhinged when it comes to the Duggars.

• WTF 2

On 2/10/2023 at 6:06 PM, indianabones said:

I had to live with a Mormon family for a few months as a teenager (long story). One weekend, we went to a barbeque at the home of one of the families from their ward. They had an entire shed in their yard that was dedicated to food storage that the wife showed off to everyone.

I later learned that Mormons buy the majority of their food for food storage directly from one of the LDS church's many businesses. It's just another cash grab for them (y'know, because collecting 10% of members' incomes in tithing obviously isn't enough.)

Yes, places like this: https://providentliving.churchofjesuschrist.org/self-reliance/home-storage-centers?lang=eng

There are local businesses sometimes in areas, there was one about 50 miles from me that wasn't really affiliated with the church, but had stuff AND seemed to cater to both religious people and those who were convinced the liberals were going to leave them without potable water and food...

21 hours ago, Love2Cruise said:

Will this show be titled 90 Day Fiancée: Plyg Style.

I could so see scumbag Kody trying to get some 25 year old girl from another country to be his 5th wife. And filming it for the show. With Robyn crying about it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I could so see scumbag Kody trying to get some 25 year old girl from another country to be his 5th wife. And filming it for the show. With Robyn crying about it. 

I understand your meaning, but I object on a general level. While I am in no doubt that you have no ill intent, I find "from another country" objectionable. It implies either ignorance or inability to consent. Either way, it sounds disrespectful towards a woman to me.

Please note that I understand a throwaway reference, but am asking you on a personal level not to use that again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic