IGNORED

Sister Wives 8: And Another One Down, Another One Bites the Dust?

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Jrodseyeliner said:

I actually hope that the kids are compensated as well during their time on the show. I mean Maddie gave birth twice on the show and most of them have had their most awkward teenage moments exploited on air to last a lifetime. 

Hollywood pays children for a acting and there are laws that require parents to give some of it to their kids and not spend it on themselves (I believe it’s called the Coogan law). Why isn’t this a thing for reality tv child actors?

• Upvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Hollywood pays children for a acting and there are laws that require parents to give some of it to their kids and not spend it on themselves (I believe it’s called the Coogan law). Why isn’t this a thing for reality tv child actors?

People don't care enough to push for every state to have a version of the Coogan Law.  California courts ruled that the Coogan Law applies to reality shows.  Thank you Octomom.  Someone went to court over her kids.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Jrodseyeliner said:

I actually hope that the kids are compensated as well during their time on the show. I mean Maddie gave birth twice on the show and most of them have had their most awkward teenage moments exploited on air to last a lifetime. 

I am thinking Robyn came into  the Brown family with no wage-earning skills, and still has none, while Meri, Christine and Janell have taken off! Based on earnings, Christine might end up paying Kody child support! Gross, huh? Thank heavens, Janell has the receipts for the financial wizardry Kody has tried to play.

Kody looked wild-eyed and unhinged on the Season 18 one-on-ones. I am sure he is a pleasure for Robyn to spend time with at their McMansion. How long she can stand it is anyone's guess (spoiler: she can stand it until there is no more $ or McMansion).

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

Based on earnings, Christine might end up paying Kody child support! Gross, huh? 

Not a chance. They’re in another state, so 50/50 custody isn’t feasible. Kody could try for custody, but his medical neglect is documented. When he was in charge of Truely for just a few days, she got sick and  her kidneys failed. And he had a documented history of medical nonchalance for other important issues (Ysabel and her back). T is almost old enough to decide which parent she wants to spend time with (usually 14).  Christine is obviously an excellent primary parent and there’s not a huge bond between Kody and T. 

I’m rewatching old episodes and they claim to have made over a million during MSWC’s second year. Not a ton when divided four or five ways, but where did it go? I’m hoping Kody won’t be able to drive a convertible any longer, but somehow I suspect that’s a necessity in his eyes. 

• Upvote 4

It has to benefit Janell as she seeks reparation that the Brown family's housing purchases and inter-wifal financial wheelings and dealings are documented on their tv show. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I don’t know but surely all their businesses and bank accounts has all of them linked on their somehow. 
in Australia, it would be a nightmare because they are all defactos… plus I hope that the older kids get some sort of compensation as well as their mothers. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

57 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Paedon apparently has confirmed for in touch magazine, that the mystery RV hearts outside of Robin’s house belongs to Dayton.

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/sister-wives-where-does-dayton-live-rv-robyns-house/

Apparently Meri, then the favorite wife, was very hard and maybe physical in dispensing discipline on the older kids. Paedon and Maddie were afraid of her. Gwen has positive feelings towards Meri so I wonder if Meri was selectively harsh on different kids.

I know I, as a child, was on the receiving end of some pretty enthusiastic discipline, administered with the famous wooden spoon, hairbrush and a big production where my dad would "have" to use the belt. Our neighbor children really had to go outside to pick the switch for their spanking. At the time (50's-60's) this was pretty regular stuff for many families. They were also free with corporal punishment in our school. Everyone assured us they only hit us out of love and a desire to remedy our behavior.

As an irrelevant aside, spatulas (which filled me with childhood nostalgia) were on clearance at Hallmark. I asked the clerk (who was old, like me) did your mother used to hit you with one of these? expecting to laugh over a common memory. And she was appalled. She had never heard of such a thing. Because guess what? Even back then, hitting children was not done everywhere by everybody, like we thought.

So when I had kids, knocking them sideways was a behavior I had to unlearn. Because it is second nature when that is your family culture.

So I don't condone or excuse Meri getting physical with the older Brown children but she may not have known her discipline was over the top.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 1

Spanking was common when I was a kid too. Most of my friends got spanked. For most kids, it was getting spanked with a hand or a belt. But I remember one classmate who said he got it with hangers and it really hurt. I felt sorry for him. I don’t spank my kids. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

So I watched the whole Paedon interview. Very annoying host and the sound was problematic. I turned it up so I could hear Paedon, but even then, I probably missed a few things. However, here are the highlights as I heard them: 

Paedon is a bouncer at a strip club. 

Meri was scary in his youth. He doesn’t give specifics, but says other people have been horrified by stories he’s shared from his childhood.

Surprisingly, it was Robyn who got Kody to rein Meri in. Apparently it’s mentioned in their book that Christine and Meri had a huge blow up about how Meri punished some of her children. What I get from this is that it was an ongoing problem that Kody avoided, until Robyn pushed him. (Gwendolyn also says she loves Meri, and the book also seems to mention that Meri had favorites who would hang out with her. So two extreme reactions to Meri.)

Paedon goes so far as to say that Robyn may have saved lives with her pushing Kody to action, and that he can’t hate her as a result.

Not to say that he likes her! He mentions her fake crying and says she either lacks tears because she’s got nothing inside, or perhaps she just doesn’t care and weaponizes tears. (He also says that every woman knows how to fake-cry, and he’s seen it done a lot. This dude has serious issues about gender roles.)

After Paedon got a shirt which read, “What does the nanny do?” And posted it online, Kody went to TLC to try to negotiate a clause which would allow TLC’s lawyers to go after the kids if they disparaged him. Kody was unsuccessful (imagine that), but he had called several adult children to try to persuade them to, essentially, keep sweet. Paedon says he hadn’t heard from his father for months before that call, and originally thought Kody was calling to repair their relationship. 
What I get from this is Kody doesn’t speak to his children regularly, and seems to expect they do the same. Except, the kids DO talk to each other. So they were quickly able to discern Kody’s true intentions based on his rare phone calls and their conversational content.

P says that Meri was the favorite wife for a long time. There was upheaval and a confrontation (he refuses to give specifics), then Robyn was favorite wife. He also thought Kody treated Robyn differently as favorite wife; he seemed to listen to her more.

P confirms that Kody moved the family to Arizona because Dayton decided to go to NUA. They’d been considering Wyoming and Utah; Christine balked at Wyoming. Then, after Dayton’s decision to attend NUA, the family was headed to Arizona. P says Dayton was ready and happy to go to college four hours away, but those hopes were smashed by a mother who couldn’t cut the umbilical cord. 

Apparently that mystery RV in Kody and Robyn’s driveway became Dayton’s home after he refused to abide by Kody’s Covid protocols. 
When asked about the sacrifices Robyn made for the family, P jokes that she found a man about to have TV money and who wanted to take care of her kids. He said she had to leave a job and a place she and her kids hated, and that she’s now living in the biggest house she’s ever had. 

When asked if Robyn is a hoarder, he shares a story about him and Garrison moving a plastic-wrapped (the implication is never used) rug from her old house in Utah to Lehi, then to Vegas, then to another place in Vegas, then to Arizona, then AGAIN in Arizona. Always, still, forever wrapped in plastic. He obviously talks to Dayton and Garrison, because they handled the AZ moves with this same rug. The hosts were generally terrible, but one said, “okay. So she hoards ONE rug?” I appreciated that comment. 
The whole family was anti-vax for a long time. Many of the adults have since been vaxxed; he got his shots in the military. This aligns with rumors of Kody’s anti-vax stance (for Covid, at least— and proof of earlier vax disdain).

Caveats and disclaimers: Paedon hit Gwendolyn at some point in their teenage years. Paedon doesn’t discuss this here, but he does mention that he’s a huge guy and hits his head on doorframes (I’ve read he’s like 6’7” — that’s a LOT of big dude to hit a younger sister). I’ve also read elsewhere that he wasn’t allowed to be alone with Gwendolyn, and that Christine kicked him out sometime after 18, because he wasn’t doing anything (and seems like there was cause for some fear amongst some kids). He does shit talk Gwendolyn for saying “ouch” when he was in the room, allegedly trying to manipulate parents. He also says she says he’s a white male, and therefore racist and sexist (ed. note: he never disproves either claim, just complains). 

Paedon has VERY fucked up views about gender and gender roles. He bases his knowledge on growing up with five sisters and a single mother (his words!). He thinks Christine and Janelle “speak woman,” and that Robyn and Meri are less fluent, somehow. 

P hates polygamy. He’s only grateful for Janelle and Christine’s friendship. He does regard his siblings, even the adopted ones, as his full siblings. He speaks positively about Dayton and Aurora. He says he’d run into a burning building for any of them. 

I’m sure I missed a bunch, but these are most of the main points, as I recall. 
ETA: P is adamant about having HAD a wonderful dad, until about 12 years ago.

Also, Kody was NOT a big man in their religion. No wonder he married Christine: she improved his name and standing in the church. P also calls his mom a “princess.”
 You know how everyone notices that Christine’s kids sound just like her? Well, he’s the exception. He sounds SO MUCH like Kody. 

Edited by apandaaries
Typos, of course. My nemesis. 👿
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 16

8 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

So I watched the whole Paedon interview. Very annoying host and the sound was problematic. I turned it up so I could hear Paedon, but even then, I probably missed a few things. However, here are the highlights as I heard them: 

Meri was scary in his youth. He doesn’t give specifics, but says other people have been horrified by stories he’s shared from his childhood.

Surprisingly, it was Robyn who got Kody to rein Meri in. Apparently it’s mentioned in their book that Christine and Meri had a huge blow up about how Meri punished some of her children. What I get from this is that it was an ongoing problem that Kody avoided, until Robyn pushed him. (Gwendolyn also says she loves Meri, and the book also seems to mention that Meri had favorites who would hang out with her. So two extreme reactions to Meri.)

Paedon goes so far as to say that Robyn May have saved lives with her pushing Kody to action, and that he can’t hate her as a result.

Not to say that he likes her! He mentions her fake crying and says she either lacks tears because she’s got nothing inside, or perhaps she just doesn’t care and weaponizes tears. (He also says that every woman knows how to fake-cry, and he’s seen it done a lot. This dude has serious issues about gender roles.)

After Paedon got a shirt which read, “What does the nanny do?” And posted it online, Kody went to TLC to try to negotiate a clause which would allow TLC’s lawyers to go after the kids if they disparaged him. Kody was unsuccessful (imagine that), but he had called several adult children to try to persuade them to, essentially, keep sweet. Paedon says he hadn’t heard from his father for months before that call, and originally thought Kody was calling to repair their relationship. 
What I get from this is Kody doesn’t speak to his children regularly, and seems to expect they do the same. Except, the kids DO talk to each other. So they were quickly able to discern Kody’s true intentions based on his rare phone calls and their conversational content.

P says that Meri was the favorite wife for a long time. There was upheaval and a confrontation (he refuses to give specifics), then Robyn was favorite wife. He also thought Kody treated Robyn differently as favorite wife; he seemed to listen to her more.

P confirms that Kody moved the family to Arizona because Dayton decided to go to NUA. They’d been considering Wyoming and Utah; Christine balked at Wyoming. Then, after Dayton’s decision to attend NUA, the family was headed to Arizona. P says Dayton was ready and happy to go to college four hours away, but those hopes were smashed by a mother who couldn’t cut the umbilical cord. 

Apparently that mystery RV in Kody and Robyn’s driveway became Dayton’s home after he refused to abide by Kody’s Covid protocols. 
When asked about the sacrifices Robyn made for the family, P jokes that she found a man about to have TV money and who wanted to take care of her kids. He said she had to leave a job and a place she and her kids hated, and that she’s now living in the biggest house she’s ever had. 

When asked if Robyn is a hoarder, he shares a story about him and Garrison moving a plastic-wrapped (the implication is never used) rug from her old house in Utah to Lehi, then to Vegas, then to another place in Vegas, then to Arizona, then AGAIN in Arizona. Always, still, forever wrapped in plastic. He obviously talks to Dayton and Garrison, because they handled the AZ moves with this same rug. The hosts were generally terrible, but one said, “okay. So she hoards ONE rug?” I appreciated that comment. 
The whole family was anti-vax for a long time. Many of the adults have since been vaxxed; he got his shots in the military. This aligns with rumors of Kody’s anti-vax stance (for Covid, at least— and proof of earlier vax disdain).

Caveats and disclaimers: Paedon hit Gwendolyn at some point in their teenage years. Paedon doesn’t discuss this here, but he does mention that he’s a huge guy and hits his head on doorframes (I’ve read he’s like 6’7” — that’s a LOT of big dude to hit a younger sister). I’ve also read elsewhere that he wasn’t allowed to be alone with Gwendolyn, and that Christine kicked him out sometime after 18, because he wasn’t doing anything (and seems like there was cause for some fear amongst some kids). He does shit talk Gwendolyn for saying “ouch” when he was in the room, allegedly trying to manipulate parents. He also says she says he’s a white male, and therefore racist and sexist (ed. note: he never disproves either claim, just complains). 

Paedon has VERY fucked up views about gender and gender roles. He bases his knowledge on growing up wi five sisters and a single mother (his words!). He thinks Christine and Janelle “speak woman,” and that Robyn and Meri are less fluent, somehow. 

P hates polygamy. He’s only grateful for Janelle and Christine’s friendship. He does regard his siblings, even the adopted ones, as his full siblings. He speaks positively about Dayton and Aurora. He says he’d run into a burning building for any of them. 

I’m not surprised he comes off as a misogynist. I think Kody is too. And probably a lot of others in their polygamy friend groups. Most forms of polygamy I’ve seen are patriarchal. So it makes sense. 

• Upvote 10

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m not surprised he comes off as a misogynist. I think Kody is too. And probably a lot of others in their polygamy friend groups. Most forms of polygamy I’ve seen are patriarchal. So it makes sense. 

There’s also the issue about their branch of Mormonism still being pretty racist. That’s just factual about traditional Mormonism (darker men couldn’t hold the priesthood in mainstream LDS until the 1970s). There’s probably a lot more that they don’t display for the show.

I do recall Kody talking to a Black man in Vegas and boasting about marrying his baby mamas—all of them. But the implication was that Kody completely believed Black men to be deadbeat dads (lolol—-“deadbeat dad” is Kody to a T, except for Robyn’s kids). It was a gross moment. 

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 2

26 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

In the episode where Hunter has a wrestling meet Christine gets a little annoyed because Gwen decided she didn't want to go at the last minute--understandable on Christine's side. She tells Gwen, "I can't leave you at home with Paedon." And then Gwen gets the older Robyn daughter to help sway Robyn to let her stay. None of the adults really want the situation, because one of Robyn's spawn has Orchestra, but they made it work... So I think the hit was just before this.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

29 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Spanking was common when I was a kid too. Most of my friends got spanked. For most kids, it was getting spanked with a hand or a belt. But I remember one classmate who said he got it with hangers and it really hurt. I felt sorry for him. I don’t spank my kids. 

These are different times, thankfully.

1 hour ago, apandaaries said:

Paedon goes so far as to say that Robyn may have saved lives with her pushing Kody to action, and that he can’t hate her as a result.

Paedon has VERY fucked up views about gender and gender roles. He bases his knowledge on growing up with five sisters and a single mother (his words!). He thinks Christine and Janelle “speak woman,” and that Robyn and Meri are less fluent, somehow. 

ETA: P is adamant about having HAD a wonderful dad, until about 12 years ago.

Also, Kody was NOT a big man in their religion. No wonder he married Christine: she improved his name and standing in the church. P also calls his mom a “princess.”
 You know how everyone notices that Christine’s kids sound just like her? Well, he’s the exception. He sounds SO MUCH like Kody. 

Thanks for summarising that for us. 
not excusing or defending Paedon here but man it would have been pretty wild and loose growing up in the chaos of 13 children with only a couple of parental figures. 
I was one of 4 and we all fought physical til we were teens. Could you imagine having 13.. 

Kody is such  a deadbeat dad, those poor middle kids just got forgotten all about. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Jrodseyeliner said:

Thanks for summarising that for us. 
not excusing or defending Paedon here but man it would have been pretty wild and loose growing up in the chaos of 13 children with only a couple of parental figures. 
I was one of 4 and we all fought physical til we were teens. Could you imagine having 13.. 

Kody is such  a deadbeat dad, those poor middle kids just got forgotten all about. 

I suspect one of the things that happened while they grew up wild and loose is Gwen pushed Paeden out of the top bunk bed and he landed in his head. So, while he is likable and his "What.Does.The.Nanny.Do?" Shirt was hilarious, and he has valid points, he seems off the mark, someone his sibs will tell their children on holiday get-togethers, "that's just Uncle Paedon" His high regard for his dad collaborates the other sons' dismay and heartache that Kody was attentive in their youth and is a stranger to them now.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, apandaaries said:

There’s also the issue about their branch of Mormonism still being pretty racist. That’s just factual about traditional Mormonism (darker men couldn’t hold the priesthood in mainstream LDS until the 1970s). There’s probably a lot more that they don’t display for the show.

I do recall Kody talking to a Black man in Vegas and boasting about marrying his baby mamas—all of them. But the implication was that Kody completely believed Black men to be deadbeat dads (lolol—-“deadbeat dad” is Kody to a T, except for Robyn’s kids). It was a gross moment. 

The episode where the go to the “families not felons” rally in Utah also had a moment where the leader openly said they never supported “black rights”. 

I just did a rewatch of the first 14 seasons. It’s…worse in hindsight. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, purple_summer said:

The episode where the go to the “families not felons” rally in Utah also had a moment where the leader openly said they never supported “black rights”. 

I just did a rewatch of the first 14 seasons. It’s…worse in hindsight. 

Do you have a season/episode number?

pretty please and thanks!

16 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

I suspect one of the things that happened while they grew up wild and loose is Gwen pushed Paeden out of the top bunk bed and he landed in his head.

As I don’t follow them closely, when did this happen?

2 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

Absolutely no idea. I’d focus on the “I suspect” part of the sentence. As far as I know, that’s pure conjecture.

Gwen has stated that he’s hit her and she’s afraid of him. We’ve seen Kody’s rages. Imagine that, but WAY bigger and stronger, and willing to hit (I believe they were teenagers at the time, so less impulse control). P also accuses G of playing up her fear.
One doesn’t become a strip club bouncer by looking and acting demure and peaceful. I don’t think he’s beyond redemption, but he has more work to do on himself. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

19 hours ago, apandaaries said:

Do you have a season/episode number?

pretty please and thanks!

Season 12 episode 7 “Risking Arrest”. 

eta: the episode before this is Meri and Janelle acting terrified at the woman’s march in DC. Season 13 is when Kody goes full qanon. Like I said, WILD in hindsight. 

Edited by purple_summer
More stuff
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

It's a joke to explain how he grew up to a tad mysogynistic, (but still lovable) boisterous person who maybe doesn't see nuances in situations and is refreshingly unguarded in his story telling.

• Thank You 1

On 1/12/2023 at 10:04 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

On 1/12/2023 at 10:11 PM, apandaaries said:

The mainstream Mormonism is pretty much like this from I have heard and seen.  For example, misogyny is still prevalent in mainstream Mormonism. I don't think it's just their branch of Mormonism.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Mormonism (mainstream) is indeed very racist and patriarchal. Bryce Blackenagel,ex-LDS, has done an excellent series on the Myth Vision podcast, exploring the vicious white supremacy of Brigham Young and predatory behavior of Joseph Smith. Both were mob bosses and theocrats in prophet's clothing. Modern Mormonism has given itself quite a face-lift. 

• Upvote 7

I think there is a HUGE amount of this show that has been scripted/edited, perhaps even more than usual for a reality show. On the show the wives generally appeared to like each other and get along well. The reality seems to be the opposite. When they lived in the cul-de-sac it always surprised me when one of them would comment about not having seen the other wives in weeks or a couple months. They really must have lived separate lives-and with very little “sisterly” feelings or behaviors. 
The show really manipulated the move to Flagstaff. They presented it as the family deciding to move there so Dayton then applied to NAU and was accepted. Robyn only wanted to move to a location with a university nearby so her son could live at home “to help with the transition” to college, but no specific school was mentioned. Paedon says Dayton wanted to go to NAU, live in a dorm, be on his own , but Robyn said no, and insisted they move to Flagstaff. 
I think the show scripted/gave excuses for Meri not being present for the birth of Maddie’s first child and for her family’s visit during a time Meri was “away on business” or whatever the excuse was. I’d kind of like to rewatch the entire show now, to look for things I missed or accepted on face value. Not gonna happen but I am curious. I did have a lot of questions through the years about this family and how it operated but now I have even more. Just how bad were things among all the Browns?
So what is going to happen with the show? Will it continue and follow each “divorced” wife separately and have Kody and Robyn together? Will Kody quickly begin courting another wife to maintain the polygamous theme? Will Kody ever reconnect with his older children? He seems to have been a great dad when the children were young. Maybe he’s someone who does better with very young kids but not so much as they grow older and are more independent. 
I kind of hope the show continues. I’m curious as to how the marriage of Kody and Robyn will fare when the other wives/children are pretty much out of the picture-and out not just because Kody chooses to ignore them. I’m thinking Robyn might not be as happy with a monogamous marriage. She may have had Kody mostly to herself before but this could be a whole new ballgame!

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic