IGNORED

Racism within the BRF

viii

11 hours ago, catlady said:

you filthy fucking liar.

image.thumb.png.b1c3e2b22731f0ec46eb58fe838076e8.png

You misunderstood. 

Charles and Anne were 5 and 2 when Elizabeth left them. I can't imagine leaving children that young, but I don't have any! I was speaking hypothetically, hon.

Back when my children were that age, it would've broken my heart to leave them for so long. But that was a long time ago.

I've talked about having adult children many times.  Review my comment history and you'll see for yourself.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 12/2/2022 at 1:05 AM, just_ordinary said:

Of course the institution of the monarchy is benefiting from racism, sexism, elitism, colonialism, inequality and so one. So are the people living in it or working for it. And of course there must be some structural racism going on. Give me one example of an older Western institution that isn’t? The mere fact we can all comfortably chat here about this, is build on the same thing. The Westen World and all its comforts are build on it and it’s only from this place of comfort that we are looking down and decide to help. In fact we and our governments are still perpetuating certain highly problematic schemes right now to maintain our comforts. The second that comfort is threatened 90% of the people take a step back to care of themselves first. And I get it. Maybe you are poor. And that’s why you shop at H&M, target, Aldi…. the girl sewing your coat, the chicken living in horrific circumstances, the farmer getting a joke of money for his produce doesn’t care one bit about your circumstances make you shop cheap so that you can have a second winter coat or an egg or flour. The children working in appalling circumstances, sorting our trash that has been transported around the world don’t care if we found it too hard/stressful/expensive to use porcelain plates instead of the paper plates they now sort through. I digress though. Denying that the institution has benefited and still has structural problems is crazy. Now, we wouldn’t abolish democracy, medicine or universities because they have same problems but we trust that changing the people will help to change the institution. I am pretty sure the RF (apart from the obligatory one or two noses) is just as appalled by racism, doesn’t want to be racist but falls into the same missteps and benefits from structural racism just as much as we. 

My opinion is this:

Ms. Fulani set up a worthwhile charity that tackles an important issue in a certain subgroup because that’s what she experienced growing up. She is very open about this, as this is public information. Her Caribbean background was a big motivator. It seems she has looked but found no records about her African heritage.

People don’t chat by chance to you at those events. They have profiles and everyone prepares for a certain group of people they work through so that afterwards everyone feels they had been noticed and appreciated.
Mrs. Hussey used a pretty common conversation starter and probably thought Fulani would talk about her Caribbean heritage and the conversation would go to her motivation and the charity from there. Another two sentences about how it is going and what they plan to do in the future. Next. 
The second Fulani answered Hackney, SH should have been able to switch to a different script and jump to her charity. 
I wonder if Ms. Fulani would have answered differently if SH hadn’t invaded her personal space in such a rude manner first. That was definitely the first strike. Pushing this topic for minutes was racist and rude and unprofessional. And she showed an inflexibility in conversation management that doesn’t agree with her job. Honorary or paid. Even without the racism,  BP should have considered putting her into retirement.

I do have a problem with the following. 
I think Ms. Fulani should have written an official complaint mail before putting it out there. This could have happened right after another, but I think it’s important to bring the issue to the right address - especially if you expect an apology and it’s questionable if anyone even knows you were treated badly. I doubt SH sat down afterwards and said- oh and there was this black woman that wouldn’t tell me where she really comes from. So how exactly would BP know that they should apologise. Ms. Fulani was not in any danger so it’s not as if addressing the aggressor in this incident (via BP not SH in the moment) would have hurt her. 
Those Go Fund Me don’t bother me. What does bother me is that Ms Fulani seems to have been caught in inaccuracies which will probably hurt her reputation and therefore maybe even the charity in the long term. That’s unfortunate.

Charles needs to have a big sweep or stop functions where such situations could arise. The BRF would actually benefit from a bit of a media time out. Public indifference is their biggest friend. They could lay back, post a lovely picture for Christmas and let the press dissect H&M. I think those two already pushed headlines about racism way down again. They really are the BRF biggest asset in that way.

Buried in a mass of words is another  plea to cover this up, to protect the royal damily.

Ms. Fulani was entitled to share her story anyway she wanted to. Who are we to say she “ should” have written a letter?

An official complaint would probably have bern ignored. But it would have kept things secret, so the old white lady could’ve kept her job.

There was an almost identical incident with Charles a few years back (“you’re from Manchester? You don’t look it”). This is far from an isolated incident.

• Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 1

https://people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-lady-in-waiting-issues-apology-following-racism-allegations-palace-event/

Lady Susan Hussey and Ngozi Fulani met together to discuss the situation that happened last month. Hussey apologized and Fulani was accepting of the apology. The staff of the BRF continue diversity training. Sounds like the best outcome it could ultimately be here. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, viii said:

https://people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-lady-in-waiting-issues-apology-following-racism-allegations-palace-event/

Lady Susan Hussey and Ngozi Fulani met together to discuss the situation that happened last month. Hussey apologized and Fulani was accepting of the apology. The staff of the BRF continue diversity training. Sounds like the best outcome it could ultimately be here. 

Yes, it does.

If it's true, Lady Hussey is showing true class, and the ability to learn, at the age of 83. Good for her.

That's class, not the ability to curtsey or bow at the right moment. Class is taking responsibility, learning from it, apologizing and moving on.

I have heard that there's been a lot of abuse directed at Fulani, and I can't figure out why. What did she do? 

Edited by Jackie3

On 12/13/2022 at 8:31 PM, SoSoNosy said:

I would't, no.  But a couple of generations before me would, I am pretty sure.  Yes, it was rude and ugly.  

How can you have small children if you were around in the 30's?

ETA:

This is a link to an article from the 70's (in the UK, I think)

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/62430592.pdf

My born in 1964 North Eastern English  self never heard that term until she went to London.

• Move Along 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, now that Harry has said the Royal Family is racist and that he and Meghan love Lady Hussey it seems everything is now a bit confusing. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Meh. I have close relatives who have made blatantly racist statements. I love them. I hate what comes out of their mouths. I will also protect other black and brown relatives and friends from them. 

It’s messy. 

Also, you could ignore each and every personality within the BRF and still have hella racism because it’s baked into the institution. No confusion there.

• Upvote 3