IGNORED

Maxwell 56: Mary Found Freedom to Get Engaged

Coconut Flan

8 minutes ago, Loveday said:

You're very close, 1928 to 1945. They kind of got lost in the shuffle because of the war, I guess. 

My grandparents are that Gen. They were all born between 1930-34. Only my maternal grandmother is still alive. 

• Love 1

I was born at the tail end of the "Boomer" generation. I don't think I'm much like the stereotypical boomer though. I'm sort of religious and a screaming liberal. MOST of the folks I went to high school with are still extremely conservative, still live in our hometown, do the same damn thing for vacation every year. Yes, I use Facebook quite a bit, but it's to keep up w/friends and certain groups that interest me. I don't post much on my "wall", my life just isn't that interesting. 

• Upvote 4

I’m a boomer, but so far left I fall off the chart, and so are most of my same-age friends. 

• Upvote 10

I'm an elder millennial_ early adopter of Facebook when you had to go to one of 3 uk unis and could only befriend folks with the same  uni email address. I still have it for bartering but haven't checked it in months. 

So pleased for Sarah Mary and Anna they have made zo much progress 

Edited by byzant
  • Upvote 4

So happy for Mary and Sam!

Since Sam is graduating next Spring, and Mary has another year to go, do you think she’ll return to ABC next Fall?  Or will they head out to the mission field somewhere?

I hope she finishes her degree. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

10 hours ago, Sk8ter said:

I'm not sure why we spend so much time drawing lines around which generations are "allowed" to use which social media platforms. My kids are GenZ and they have a stroke if they see anyone outside their own age group using SnapChat. No wonder this country has problems. We can't even let a variety of people use social media without saying "That's yours, this is mine" 

THIS.  When my son first moved away to college he didn't have a Facebook account at the time (he does now and very seldom uses it), but I knew he was on SnapChat.  So I thought it would be a nice idea to make my own SnapChat account as another way for us to keep in touch.  When I told my son I made an account he was absolutely horrified and asked I delete it.  I took the app out of my phone but the way he was carrying on about it, one would think I made the account as a means to purposely stalk him and constantly check up on where he was and what he was doing.    I will leave that to a former co-worker of mine who had tracking devices installed in her college-age daughter's phone and used them very regularly to determine her daughter's whereabouts at any given time.  

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 3

11 hours ago, Sk8ter said:

I have to laugh that only once in any of this generational talk has GenX been mentioned. 

There's an entire generation that exists between Boomers and Millenials. The youngest Boomers are 60. The oldest Millenials are 42. When you talk about people between 43 and 60, those are GenXers, not Boomers.

FB was not invented for Boomers, nor is it "for Boomers". It was originally made for Millenials by a Millenial.

I'm not sure why we spend so much time drawing lines around which generations are "allowed" to use which social media platforms. My kids are GenZ and they have a stroke if they see anyone outside their own age group using SnapChat. No wonder this country has problems. We can't even let a variety of people use social media without saying "That's yours, this is mine" 

64 year old Boomer here.  I don't use any social media.  It's just not my thing, but I'm intrigued by the ways it is used.

I don't really care about how SM is 'assigned' in people's minds.  I detest the vast generalizations that many in each generation make about other generations though.  We Americans are great at putting people in boxes, and I think it's unfair and unhealthy.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I'd never heard of that one - is that born between ~1926 and 1946? (Asuming Greatest Generation are old enough to fight in WW2 here).

As far as I knew the Boomers were the first to get a generational name, mostly through weight of numbers. My parents are both (towards the end of the) war babies - all the advantages of the infrastructure being expanded for the Boomers with less of the crowd!

Love to see Mary looking so happy, and hope she and Sam have a relaxed engagement period. 

The greatest generation is between 1900-1925; it's a reference to "The Great War."

The Silent Gen is between 1926 and 1946 as a reference to Silent Films.

Then Boomers, then X'ers, then Millennials, then Zoomers, and then Gen Alpha is those 11 or under right now.

• Upvote 2

I am finding it amusing how many different names (and year definitions) are out there for the generations - with the exception of Boomer and X, which seem to be pretty consistent. The generation after X were Y for a bit, then Y transferred to Zoomer (which is new to me) - and millenial was being used for quite a while to describe babies born in the early 2000s. 

Silent seems to still be an odd one, not least because talkies had replaced silent film well before 1946. Maybe we should go with "golden" as in "golden age of cinema" for that cohort and "teever" as in "TV" for Boomer? That would make X the VCR generation, and Y/millenial the "internets", or possibly the dial-ups. Zoomers/Y can stay put, heh, and who knows what defining technology will emerge for Alpha!

51 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Slight correction: It's not a reference to silent films. It's about how that generation didn't rabble rouse, protest, or cause trouble. They were born in a depression, when children were to be seen and not heard, and learned to stay silent during McCarthy. They saw the depression, the rise and fall of Nazi Germany, McCarthy and the red scare. 

Boomers are so weird. (Not the actual humans, just the term). They are known for bringing in the counter culture movement, and creating the term "generation gap" between them and the Silents, but now Boomer is a derogatory term for people who are out of touch. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

As a parent I have to say how crazy it is how facebook almost seems like a requirement for keeping up with school events, activities, neighborhood goings ons, and other things for my kids. Yes, there are other ways to get the info; but honestly facebook is the easiest. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, byzant said:

I'm an elder millennial_ early adopter of Facebook when you had to go to one of 3 uk unis and could only befriend folks with the same  uni email address. 

Me too. I stopped really checking or carrying about my facebook sometime when everyone started to be on it. I hated it once my relatives started commenting on my stuff or posting nonsensical garbage. I liked having a place for just me and people I chose to let in. But once all the aunts and parents and HR started checking FB,EVEN though there was nothing remotely objectionable to normal humans, it stopped being fun. Curating content and dealing with multiple lists of who can see what was just annoying. And don't get me started on groups and all the borderline illiterate weirdos who join groups but still have no idea how the internet works. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

I am finding it amusing how many different names (and year definitions) are out there for the generations - with the exception of Boomer and X, which seem to be pretty consistent. The generation after X were Y for a bit, then Y transferred to Zoomer (which is new to me) - and millenial was being used for quite a while to describe babies born in the early 2000s. 

Silent seems to still be an odd one, not least because talkies had replaced silent film well before 1946. Maybe we should go with "golden" as in "golden age of cinema" for that cohort and "teever" as in "TV" for Boomer? That would make X the VCR generation, and Y/millenial the "internets", or possibly the dial-ups. Zoomers/Y can stay put, heh, and who knows what defining technology will emerge for Alpha!

Y and Millennial is the same. Z and Zoomer is the same. 'Y' was the name before we got our nickname of the Millennials.

• Upvote 4

Thought some might find this interesting, (I know I do). Here’s a list of the different generational names throughout the ages:

D5CE1E50-7A6B-4394-B389-F82891027678.webp.89d2a57bb8cfff6177312efb62ec5eba.webp

Pretty cool, yeah?

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 16
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Caroline said:

I detest the vast generalizations that many in each generation make about other generations though.  We Americans are great at putting people in boxes, and I think it's unfair and unhealthy.

Absolutely agree. Maybe it’s because I’m European and those categories never quite fit anyway. But I can never remember which generation I’m supposed to belong to. And tbh I find the whole thing not particularly helpful and potentially toxic.

There are people ten years younger than me or ten years older than me that I can relate to perfectly well, and there are people exactly my age whose opinions and attitudes are completely foreign to me. Age has little to do with it, imho.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

7 hours ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

Thought some might find this interesting, (I know I do). Here’s a list of the different generational names throughout the ages:

D5CE1E50-7A6B-4394-B389-F82891027678.webp.89d2a57bb8cfff6177312efb62ec5eba.webp

Pretty cool, yeah?

I have noticed that different sources have different cut offs for when Gen X ends and when Millennials begin.

I like that this chart includes the Oregon Trail Generation. I feel like the Oregon Trail Generation description fits me well and that I don't fit into Gen X or Millennial. 

Edited by Ali
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I'm borderline boomer/gen X. I used face book years ago but when I learned about how my information was being used, I stopped posting anything, blocked everything I could. I did not delete my account right away because I wanted to sell some stuff of Facebook marketplace. When I realized I was too lazy to sell my stuff I just donated the things and closed my account.

Now I would only use Facebook if I needed it to get necessary information eg what some fundie is up to. Luckily some kind FJ'er always posts a screenshot so I've never had to rejoin Facebook.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Ali said:

I have noticed that different sources have different cut offs for when Gen X ends and when Millennials begin.

I like that this chart includes the Oregon Trail Generation. I feel like the Oregon Trail Generation description fits me well and that I don't fit into Gen X or Millennial. 

My siblings and I all fit into the Oregon trail Gen and we did like to play that computer game at school. I’ve died of dysentery about a billion times. 😝

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 9

15 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I've never heard that reference. I always assumed it referred to their DGAF attitude toward social causes. From wikipedia:

Time magazine first used the term "Silent Generation" in a November 5, 1951, article titled "The Younger Generation", although the term appears to precede the publication:[6]

The most startling fact about the younger generation is its silence. With some rare exceptions, youth is nowhere near the rostrum. By comparison with the Flaming Youth of their fathers & mothers, today's younger generation is a still, small flame. It does not issue manifestoes, make speeches or carry posters. It has been called the "Silent Generation."

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Me too. I stopped really checking or carrying about my facebook sometime when everyone started to be on it. I hated it once my relatives started commenting on my stuff or posting nonsensical garbage. I liked having a place for just me and people I chose to let in. But once all the aunts and parents and HR started checking FB,EVEN though there was nothing remotely objectionable to normal humans, it stopped being fun. Curating content and dealing with multiple lists of who can see what was just annoying. And don't get me started on groups and all the borderline illiterate weirdos who join groups but still have no idea how the internet works. 

My kids got weird about my being on Facebook, which I signed up for ~14/15 years ago only because a real-life friend wanted me to see things she had posted. Even though I did not ask them to friend me and they didn't offer, they were sure I was stalking them via family members' posts. Their lives are really not interesting enough for me to want to stalk them and I just blocked them.

For those here who say they don't use social media, forums such as freejinger ARE social media. As was Usenet, where I first started connecting with people in 1990.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 9

On 11/24/2022 at 2:38 AM, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Do you think Mary and Sam waited til after Sarah's wedding to get engaged so as not to take the focus off Sarah? I really think they did. 

Possibly, or maybe to make sure their engagement wasn't "too long." It's fairly common in fundie circles to believe that engagements need to be painfully short because no red-blooded young man would be able to keep his clothes on for very long with the woman he'd committed to marry. Boundless Webzine (the young-adult online arm of Focus on the Family) was at one time really pushing the notion of intentionality by saying it was ideal to go from "hi" to "I do" in under a year.

It's also possible that they weren't allowed to formally declare they were in a relationship, much less get engaged, while on their missions trip together (insert whatever mumbo-jumbo you'd like about "team unity" and "avoiding all appearance of evil.") I'd look for them to get married a week or two after Samuel's graduation, and with that time frame a Thanksgiving proposal actually lends itself to a longer-than-usual fundie engagement. Do we know what Mary's major is, and do we know she isn't taking a courseload and a half each semester to graduate with him?

• Upvote 14

20 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

The greatest generation is between 1900-1925; it's a reference to "The Great War."

Then Boomers, then X'ers, then Millennials, then Zoomers, and then Gen Alpha is those 11 or under right now.

The dates are correct, more or less, for the Greatest Generation, but the term is not a reference to the Great War (WWI) but to that generation's overall willingness and determination to fight and win WWII. I want to say that Tom Brokaw, NBC news journalist and anchor for some years, is the one who coined the phrase, but it may have been someone else's invention and he may just have latched onto it when writing his book about that generation. I'm not sure.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Loveday said:

The dates are correct, more or less, for the Greatest Generation, but the term is not a reference to the Great War (WWI) but to that generation's overall willingness and determination to fight and win WWII. I want to say that Tom Brokaw, NBC news journalist and anchor for some years, is the one who coined the phrase, but it may have been someone else's invention and he may just have latched onto it when writing his book about that generation. I'm not sure.

I think the greatest generation was coined by someone else. The first time I heard it was from Brokaw. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I think the greatest generation was coined by someone else. The first time I heard it was from Brokaw. 

I had to google it because I HAVE To know these things. LOL. Apparently, he did coin it! 😮 According to an article in Time online, back in 2015:

As for the first generation of the 20th century, those born between 1901 and 1924, generational theorists Neil Howe and William Strauss have dubbed it the G.I. Generation. “The initials ‘G.I.’ can stand for two things—‘general issue’ and ‘government issue’—and this generation’s lifecycle has stood squarely for both,” the two wrote in their 1991 book Generations. In 1998, however, journalist Tom Brokaw largely supplanted that moniker when he wrote The Greatest Generation, which profiled individuals who grew up during the Great Depression and fought in World War II. The name stuck.

I also just read that the generation which fought WWI, born approximately between 1880 and 1900, was called the Lost Generation. Presumably in part because so many of them lost their lives in the war. 😢 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic