IGNORED

Maxwell 56: Mary Found Freedom to Get Engaged

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, molecule said:

I've worked in both public and private colleges, wnd private colleges are much more affordable than most people think. Because the prices are high, many students are eligible for substantial grants in the financial aid process, and there are quite a few scholarships. 

Also I've wondered if the pastor at their church went to some financially blessed members of the congregation to fund the girls' college dreams. 

And ABC continually make a big deal of the financial aid they offer and the amount off scholarships they have. Add to that the fact that the staff are missionaries who have to fund their own job and the amount of work the students seem to do around campus and I think this might very well be a very affordable option for them. 

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, molecule said:

I've worked in both public and private colleges, wnd private colleges are much more affordable than most people think. Because the prices are high, many students are eligible for substantial grants in the financial aid process, and there are quite a few scholarships. 

Also I've wondered if the pastor at their church went to some financially blessed members of the congregation to fund the girls' college dreams. 

The associate pastor of Mary's church went to ABC.  He posts on ABC's facebook page to represent Leavenworth.  Maybe the church and the college have something going on.  Scholarships or something.  It gives visibility to both the church and the college.  

• Upvote 10

13 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

i gotta tell y’all, as much as FJ has meant to me in the years since there were only 13 Duggar kids, this topic is the only thing I have the heart & stomach for, anymore.  Everything else, from Jillpm RODRIGUES to the festering boils called Theobros as discussed over on the “main” page? My old brain can’t handle it. 

I’m super glad the Maxgals made their exits.  Please, Anna, whether you marry or not, do NOT go back to Kansas.  Whatever you do. ❤️ 

I had not seen this discussion as I rarely go to the 'main' page (I spend way too much time with the Rodriguii, Maxwells, and Lori A!🥴), so out of curiosity I did a search.Thanks--I think! 😆--for sending me down this rabbit hole!

Edited by Loveday
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Oh no Steve, Anna has made an idol out of basketball!

Edited by HereticHick
  • Haha 21

On 3/18/2023 at 11:40 PM, molecule said:

This is true. My daughter attended a very expensive private college in New England and paid less in the end than if she'd gone to the local state university. It was out of state, but the price was the same for everyone. She received a huge amount of need-based money and some merit-based scholarships. She took out the minimum number of federal student loans and graduated with very little debt. She also worked every summer and vacation and contributed all of it to her education. We helped as much as we could as well.  She was pretty frugal as well, and that helped. 

Her school had a very large endowment, like many competitive private schools do. 

• Upvote 12

On 3/23/2023 at 7:16 PM, theologygeek said:

The 4:06 mark...  Anna is in awe.  I love it.  She's all into a basketball game.  Steve!  They're backslidden!  Where did you go wrong???  

Anna strikes me as being very athletic. If she'd had a normal upbringing and been allowed to attend public school she'd probably have been a standout varsity athlete at whatever sport she chose. Steve, athleticism is also a god-given talent and you forced your daughter to hide it under a bushel.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 16

15 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Anna strikes me as being very athletic. If she'd had a normal upbringing and been allowed to attend public school she'd probably have been a standout varsity athlete at whatever sport she chose. Steve, athleticism is also a god-given talent and you forced your daughter to hide it under a bushel.

I agree. 
Remember when she ran the 5k her first year at ABC?  She came in the top 3 and got a medal. 

Too bad she hasn’t joined a team at ABC. Or would that have been a bridge too far for Steve?

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

Too bad she hasn’t joined a team at ABC. Or would that have been a bridge too far for Steve?

Aren't she and Mary older than the average college student? I'm not sure it would matter at a place like ABC (and wouldn't matter at all for intramural sports, I'd bet) but I think many competitive college sport associations have restrictions for varsity athletes that in effect work as age limits in most situations. Another way they've been limited by Steve, I guess. 

That's one of the things that is most infuriating about fundamentalists like them, to me. They have so many children, each with so much potential... and it's wasted. Even their own potential is wasted.  Teri has a college education - what could she have accomplished with encouragement, birth control, and proper treatment for her depression? Every time one of the Maxwell children showed the slightest hint of aptitude or talent or found something that they enjoyed, Steve stamped it out by branding whatever it was an "idol". Their experiences were limited to whatever he deigned to include in their 15-minute-block schedule. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

Really, all the maxwells strike me as fairly athletic. What’s so funny is that they did spend a lot of time working out (walking, hiking, and using their basement) but other athletics were not allowed because they were a “waste of time.” But, as a family they seem to spend more time working out than people who do sports.

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Aren't she and Mary older than the average college student? I'm not sure it would matter at a place like ABC (and wouldn't matter at all for intramural sports, I'd bet) but I think many competitive college sport associations have restrictions for varsity athletes that in effect work as age limits in most situations. Another way they've been limited by Steve, I guess. 

That's one of the things that is most infuriating about fundamentalists like them, to me. They have so many children, each with so much potential... and it's wasted. Even their own potential is wasted.  Teri has a college education - what could she have accomplished with encouragement, birth control, and proper treatment for her depression? Every time one of the Maxwell children showed the slightest hint of aptitude or talent or found something that they enjoyed, Steve stamped it out by branding whatever it was an "idol". Their experiences were limited to whatever he deigned to include in their 15-minute-block schedule. 

High school has age limits- college does not. You can’t play a college sport for years and years as you only have 4 years of eligibility; however, if you have not used your eligibility you can still play at any age. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

31 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

High school has age limits- college does not. You can’t play a college sport for years and years as you only have 4 years of eligibility; however, if you have not used your eligibility you can still play at any age. 

Depends on the college, based on what I've seen:

Division 1 and 2

Division 1 (D1) and Division 2 (D2) colleges require high school student-athletes to enroll in college no later than 12 months post-graduation. Upon acceptance, these students have five years to compete in four full years of college sports, as they can opt to redshirt (sit out of competitive gameplay for a season) for one of their four eligible years. 

None of that likely applies to ABC anyway, unless their specific league/association/whatever has some rule somewhere. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

On 3/18/2023 at 6:50 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jonathan Staddon does a very good job at Real Estate Photography. I personally wish all agents would hire professional photographers because the online listing is extremely important these days. No one will go see a house unless they’ve already seen pictures online. And if the pictures are bad, I can guarantee that will at least knock a few people out of stepping foot inside the home. The better it presents online the more foot traffic you’ll get. And the more foot traffic you get, the more likely you are to sell the house sooner. I don’t think Chris Maxwell is a people person. And that’s partly why he sucks at photographing people. But you don’t have to be a people person to photograph homes well. 

Our realtor sent out a professional photographer for our house sale pictures.  They turned out so well that , even though we’ve happily moved on, I shared the link of photos to my email.  I created a file for them called “Our beloved home” and can view them as I wish.

• Upvote 10

48 minutes ago, louannems said:

Our realtor sent out a professional photographer for our house sale pictures.  They turned out so well that , even though we’ve happily moved on, I shared the link of photos to my email.  I created a file for them called “Our beloved home” and can view them as I wish.

I think it really does make a difference to get good photos. I've seen far too many exterior photos where the realtor clearly leaned out (or shot through) their car window while driving by. Or where interiors are shot from up high, so they look like security camera stills. Or where none of the lights are on, sometimes with window blinds open so everything is a blown-out blur. Back when I worked for a luxury real estate auction company we had a photographer we'd fly out to take photos if there weren't already professional ones taken. 

His top two tips were to crouch down, slightly (he is tall), so the ceilings look higher; and to turn on every light in the house. Every one. Light the fireplaces, light candles, turn on all the lights everywhere. Both for the interior and exterior photos. It's surprising how much of a difference just those two things can make, IMO.

• Upvote 4

Carry on here:

Edited by Coconut Flan
Repair link.
  • Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic