IGNORED

Jinjer 59: Cooking with Prepared Spice Mix

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Cam said:

On Reddit, it was said that a symbol (a dagger maybe?) next to the book title indicated a bulk purchase and the speculation was that the MacArthur cult bought up a bunch of these books to distribute to whomever.

I’m sure they did. Anytime this kind of book is on the list I assume its placement was bought. MacArthur’s acolytes would easily justify it as being a good thing because anything done “for god’s glory” means ethics need not apply. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I’m sure they did. Anytime this kind of book is on the list I assume its placement was bought. MacArthur’s acolytes would easily justify it as being a good thing because anything done “for god’s glory” means ethics need not apply. 

Absolutely. Even if it wasn't "officially" done, their reach between university and church is huge. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Given that people here said there are 17 copies in their library or reservation lists 100 people long, I don’t find legitimately selling 5-10 000 copies in a week unbelievable. The dagger symbol is a real thing they use when there’s suspicions, but I’m not seeing it next to Jinger’s book on the list?

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Smee said:

Given that people here said there are 17 copies in their library or reservation lists 100 people long, I don’t find legitimately selling 5-10 000 copies in a week unbelievable. The dagger symbol is a real thing they use when there’s suspicions, but I’m not seeing it next to Jinger’s book on the list?

I went back and looked again.  The NYT has a longer,  official list of 15 best sellers in each category.  In that list there is a dagger. See below. The screenshot that I posted earlier above was from the front webpage of their book review section which just has images of the top 5 in each category.  That had no dagger, but the image below is from their official bestseller list. 

Edited to add:  Actually, the "advice" list only lists 10 best sellers compared to the fiction and non-fiction lists which lists 15.  Out of the 10 "advice" books on the list, 5 had daggers.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 231327.png

Edited by Baba O'Riley
clarity
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

Sheesh. The dagger looks like a cross. The Vuolos prolly think it’s there to symbolize that it’s God worthy.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Cam said:

Sheesh. The dagger looks like a cross. The Vuolos prolly think it’s there to symbolize that it’s God worthy.

Lol! I was thinking the same thing!🤣

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 2/12/2023 at 2:10 PM, Cam said:

Slightly off topic, but for those who watch the Superbowl, there will be two religious ads airing from the “He gets Us” campaign, “he” being Jesus. The ads are nothing new, however, the article I will link to below states:

But certain details about the “He Gets Us” ads have set off alarm bells among young people and those skeptical of religion, two groups the campaign is specifically to attract.

Some of the campaign’s major donors, and its holding company, have ties to conservative political aims and far-right ideologies that appear at odds with the campaign’s inclusive messaging.

The campaign has connections to anti-LGBT and anti-abortion laws 

The chain of influence behind “He Gets Us” can be followed through public records and information on the campaign’s own site. The campaign is a subsidiary of The Servant Foundation, also known as the Signatry. 

According to research compiled by Jacobin, a left-leaning news outlet, The Servant Foundation has donated tens of millions to the Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative Christian legal group. The ADF has been involved in several legislative pushes to curtail LGBTQ rights and quash non-discrimination legislation in the Supreme Court.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/11/us/he-gets-us-super-bowl-commercials-cec/index.html

HeGetsUs.thumb.jpg.8911de588111eac7723b69b082dd24f3.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

Did anyone else notice this paragraph in the NYT article? 

Her husband leads a Bible study group for college students and is employed by a seminary affiliated with the church, the Master’s Seminary, where he is working on a doctorate of ministry. “Becoming Free Indeed” credits a ghostwriter named Corey Williams who is the seminary’s chief communication officer.

It has haunted me since I read it. Talk about patriarchy. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

11 hours ago, woonaluna said:

Did anyone else notice this paragraph in the NYT article? 

It has haunted me since I read it. Talk about patriarchy. 

Yes, ‘Free Indeed’. Free to make money to indulge her husband’s lifestyle, rather than her father’s. I suppose at least she gets to share this.

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 1

Jinger's book is #10 on the new NY Times Advice, How-To & Miscellaneous bestseller's list, the last place on this list.  It still has a dagger, which indicates there were bulk sales. The list was published online a little while ago. The downward arrow indicates that it has fallen since last week's list.  It was #4 last week. 

Screenshot_20230218_073322.png

Edited by Baba O'Riley
clarity
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

I got the book from the library and read it. Um, considering she used a ghost writer the thing still read like a mediocre textbook, unfortunately. It’s page-count is super lightweight, and almost non-existent if the eleventy hundred and counting Bible verses were removed.

I guess I expected a few more nuances regarding whatever insights she had gained since rejecting IBLP,  but hey, me and my expectations, amirite? The book just CLUNKS.

I’d say more, but I’m bored just remembering it. All the best to Jinger on her journey, regardless. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

6 minutes ago, erunerune said:

I got the book from the library and read it. Um, considering she used a ghost writer the thing still read like a mediocre textbook, unfortunately. It’s page-count is super lightweight, and almost non-existent if the eleventy hundred and counting Bible verses were removed.

I guess I expected a few more nuances regarding whatever insights she had gained since rejecting IBLP,  but hey, me and my expectations, amirite? The book just CLUNKS.

I’d say more, but I’m bored just remembering it. All the best to Jinger on her journey, regardless. 

Well, being a ghostwriter doesn’t make you a good writer. He’s just in charge of making her husband’s seminary look good.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, woonaluna said:

Well, being a ghostwriter doesn’t make you a good writer. He’s just in charge of making her husband’s seminary look good.

He probably was also there to make sure she didn’t say anything to make her new cult leader look bad. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

In the past, Jinger was a sporadic IG poster, but since that book, that girl has been hustling. Every day it’s a photo of the book’s cover, an excerpt from the book or Jinger selfie. You’d think she had single-handedly found the cure for all cancers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 17

8 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Did somebody say it was a guy from the cult school who ghostwrote it? Or did I mix that up in my mind?

You’ve got it right.

• Upvote 9

I wonder what the school thinks they're getting out of this?

D list reality TV star publicity can't be worth that much? Maybe Im biased.

If she's pushing it on Instagram I assume there's people at the cult school coaching her.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Did somebody say it was a guy from the cult school who ghostwrote it? Or did I mix that up in my mind?

Yes, you're correct. According to the paragraph @woonaluna shared upthread it was ghost written by the chief communications officer of the school. Basically it's a PR stunt for the benefit of the school and Jinger gets some of the proceeds. 

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

I’ve been avoiding all of the interviews and press for this book because it irks me and also I’ve been busy. But I finally understand why I feel so irked by Jinger’s new book and the resulting press. 

There’s nothing against Jinger telling her story but what will is likely to happen is the media will prop her up as some deconstructed Christian who escaped unhealthy and harmful church spaces without ever challenging her on her connections to MacArthur and GCC. GCC ghost-wrote her book and being on the show helped Jeremy rise up the ranks. Jinger also categorized folks who deconstructed without remaining Christian as “throwing the baby out with the bath water” instead of meanfully engaging in all the reasons and ways those people deconstruct. We know from Jeremy’s sermons and GCC’s statements that they still hold some abhorrent beliefs. None of this gets brought up. And they (the Vuolos and GCC) make money off of it. 

Stories about Duggar kids are even more profitable for media since Josh’s trial. We could have more nuanced reporting but unfortunately journalists, podcasters and hosts prefer to ride the sensationalism wave to glory. 

Mind you, I’m not shitting on Jinger but treating her as some enlightened victim  deserving of no interrogation is annoying to watch. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 4

Yeah the "oh I'm good now" book and accompanying publicity just sorta skims over all the icky bits as usual.

I note that Jinger actually seemed rather normal sounding and acting in Joy's latest youtube. No robot voice or pained smile. No awkward "cooking show" forced "hostess" act. 

• Upvote 2

I'm sure as hell not giving her any money but I got a digital copy on my library app annnnnd uhhhh...it's even worse than I anticipated so far. 

This is not distancing. It's 100% defending her parents. She blames herself for her anxiety and praises her parents for being perfect. She blames Gothard for misleading people, but I guarantee she wouldn't have a problem with him unless there was a scandal. 

The goal of this book is to hold up the family reputation. I'm convinced at this point that Jeremy got along with JB just fine. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

I just finished the book. Lol. Josh got one (1) mention. Not to call him out on, you know, being a PREDATORY DANGER TO CHILDREN but to say she prays for him that he’ll acknowledge his hypocrisy and repent. 

• Thank You 3

Jinger's book is #7 on the latest NY Times "Advice, How-To & Miscellaneous" bestseller list, published last night.  It is up from #10 last week.  This is the third week it is on the list.  The first week it was #4.  It still has a dagger which I think means that bulk sales is still a factor. 

Screenshot 2023-02-26 224958.png

• Thank You 4

Girl Defined just posted a clip interviewing Jinger. Yet again she’s sticking up for her parents saying they gave her the sweetest childhood and they always want what’s best for me, blah blah blah. Sure Jinger. 

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic