IGNORED

Jinjer 59: Cooking with Prepared Spice Mix

Coconut Flan

It doesn’t surprise me that Jeremy doesn’t want his daughters to be homeschooled- they are reflections of him and he knows Jinger’s education is sub par.
I haven’t read the book but it would be interesting if Jinger acknowledged that as well as the Gothard religious ideology, the decision to restrict their schooling to the Gothard approved education programme hindered her development. I always remember Jinger saying, shortly after she married Jeremy, that because he liked books, she was now reading books. It struck me as very sad.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 2

They also used Switched on Schoolhouse in addition to the Gothard program.  Even Michelle and Jim Bob realized Gothard wasn't sufficient.  I'm guessing it also required too much involvement from Michelle.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 2/9/2023 at 7:46 PM, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

My family wanted me to go back to my abusive (ex) husband because...and I literally quote "he was nice to you sometimes" in addition to the bible shit.

Later still single, having endured years of psychotic stalking, I was told I should seek him out so I could beg him to take me back.

Fuck them all.

How sick. That kind of mentality is so damaging to victims of DV. Good for you for getting out and staying out.  I hope your family is not still harassing you.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

I’m glad the NYT briefly recognized the GCC story that dropped this week. I hope it means beginning of churchtoo reckoning for JMac empire. 

• Upvote 9

11 hours ago, Idlewild said:

It doesn’t surprise me that Jeremy doesn’t want his daughters to be homeschooled- they are reflections of him and he knows Jinger’s education is sub par.
I haven’t read the book but it would be interesting if Jinger acknowledged that as well as the Gothard religious ideology, the decision to restrict their schooling to the Gothard approved education programme hindered her development. I always remember Jinger saying, shortly after she married Jeremy, that because he liked books, she was now reading books. It struck me as very sad.

Yeah he wants Jinger’s main focus on keeping him famous, can’t be distracted by homeschooling the kids. I’m sure there’s some pricey Christian school nearby they can go to where everyone wears Golden Goose sneakers or something. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/28/2023 at 1:27 AM, Jrodseyeliner said:

I too would love for Derrick to spill the tea… For a while there he gave zero fucks. But now he has a respectful job and career… 

Wasn't Derrick working as an accountant for Walmart when he and Jill first got married? (before the Central America "missionary" grift). I imagine that's how he found out about JB having an exclusive contract with TLC and keeping all the money. I would like to hear what Derrick has to say about the first time he examined Jill's and the family's finances and had to do his and Jill's taxes for the first time. I'm guessing he was way pissed off.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I’m glad the NYT briefly recognized the GCC story that dropped this week. I hope it means beginning of churchtoo reckoning for JMac empire. 

I honestly hope MacArthur is worried. He deserves a lot of public backlash for what he’s done. I feel like FJ always talks about the big stuff before it all comes out in the press. Like we all knew about how crazy Gwen Shamblin’s church was years ago! And now there’s a Lifetime movie. So I’m just waiting for MacArthur’s reputation to blow up. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I honestly hope MacArthur is worried. He deserves a lot of public backlash for what he’s done. I feel like FJ always talks about the big stuff before it all comes out in the press. Like we all knew about how crazy Gwen Shamblin’s church was years ago! And now there’s a Lifetime movie. So I’m just waiting for MacArthur’s reputation to blow up. 

Although MacArthur's scandals seem to be of the flash in the pan variety. I bet a lot of Southern Baptists don't even know there has been a sex scandal crisis in their denomination. Most people don't know who Ravi Zacharias was. Fundie scandals have been big news to us because we are interested in fundamental Christian religion. But we have to talk about it on Freejinger because (speaking for myself) nobody seems to know or care who these people are.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

5 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Although MacArthur's scandals seem to be of the flash in the pan variety. I bet a lot of Southern Baptists don't even know there has been a sex scandal crisis in their denomination. Most people don't know who Ravi Zacharias was. Fundie scandals have been big news to us because we are interested in fundamental Christian religion. But we have to talk about it on Freejinger because (speaking for myself) nobody seems to know or care who these people are.

The thing is, the Duggars are more public than a lot of these evangelicals pastors. Therefore Jinger talking about Gothard in her book brings Gothard into more public knowledge. And now that she’s talking about religion then vs now, I hope she puts the mainstream media spotlight on MacArthur like she has on Gothard. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

On 2/2/2023 at 1:17 PM, Idlewild said:

If Jinger writes another book I think it will be more of an informercial for McCarthy - Jeremy will be looking for a job after he finishes his doctorate and I can see them taking a high profile in the church on the back of this.

The New York Times ran an article on Jinger and her book this past week. It said that Jeremy is employed by the institute while he is studying for his doctorate. It said he runs its youth group for college students, I think.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can't wait to watch the Lifetime movie and see Jennifer Grey as Gwen Shamblin.  She really looks like her from what I saw in the previews.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

I can't wait to watch the Lifetime movie and see Jennifer Grey as Gwen Shamblin.  She really looks like her from what I saw in the previews.

I’ve seen it and I enjoyed the “Lifetime-iness” of it if you know what I mean. And the final wig was perfection. It looked just like Gwen’s hair. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Jinger's book is #4 on the NY Times "Advice, How-To & Miscellaneous " Best Sellers list, published tonight online.  I don't think it belongs in that section, I think it it should be considered non-fiction.  Maybe it wouldn't have sold enough to be on the non-fiction list.  I guess they see it as a "how to escape a cult" self-help book. 

624127279_Screenshot2023-02-11220803.thumb.png.70e1bd162284b4deee471639849bd5cf.png

Edited by Baba O'Riley
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 7

12 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

They also used Switched on Schoolhouse in addition to the Gothard program.  Even Michelle and Jim Bob realized Gothard wasn't sufficient.  I'm guessing it also required too much involvement from Michelle.  

Maybe this is a question that has already been answered in FJ (I've been a lurker for a while but only recently joined), but what is the highest level of math and science that the Duggars got from their home schooling? I remember one episode where James's older buddy (Jill or Jessa) was trying to help him with something simple like long division or multiplication tables--and James was like 13 years old. I mean, he should have been starting algebra. I can't imagine that Meesh or the older girls were able to teach anyone algebra or geometry, let alone chemistry or calculus. Maybe the academic standards are really low in Arkansas, but I can't imagine that you can be allowed to get the equivalent of a high-school diploma without algebra or biology, etc.

• Upvote 4

On 2/11/2023 at 8:31 AM, nolongerIFBx said:

It's funny (not in a good way)- yes, some went the thin route. Others of us packed on the pounds because we had to hide our figures so we wouldn't be responsible for men lusting after us. Similar trigger but two different responses. I wasn't stick thin (105 lbs at 4 ft. 11 inches) but still a healthy weight until I had a new outfit on one day, thought I looked pretty nice in it, and then was assaulted. I completely blamed myself and gained 30 lbs in the next few months. While the rate of gain has slowed over the last 30 years, I've never been at a healthy weight again (hypothyroidism).

Oh babe, random internet person sending you love and light xoxo 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

SoS has changed their program and website over the years so the full scope and sequence is no longer easily available online.  They used to plan for second year algebra in what they showed online to be standard for finishing home school.  

James was far behind the curriculum layout for SoS.  That's on him and Michelle and Jim Bob or he has learning differences that weren't being properly addressed.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Mostly Catholic said:

The New York Times ran an article on Jinger and her book this past week. It said that Jeremy is employed by the institute while he is studying for his doctorate. It said he runs its youth group for college students, I think.

Yeah, something about Jeremy teaching young college women just makes me wonder what could go wrong……

21 hours ago, Mostly Catholic said:

Wasn't Derrick working as an accountant for Walmart when he and Jill first got married? (before the Central America "missionary" grift). I imagine that's how he found out about JB having an exclusive contract with TLC and keeping all the money. I would like to hear what Derrick has to say about the first time he examined Jill's and the family's finances and had to do his and Jill's taxes for the first time. I'm guessing he was way pissed off.

Could be that some WM employees who Derick worked with made off-handed comments like, “Well, you really don’t have to work because you’re raking in all that money from TLC.” And Derick would have thought, “Hey, no I’m not. Why is that?” It could have been a seed planted in his mind to start questioning. 

It happened with the Dixie Chicks. (Now known as The Chicks). In the middle of their fame, Dan Rather spent some time with them on tour and interviewed them. He talked about the massive amounts of money being made off of all the long hours and hard work they put in. The Chicks wondered why they weren’t seeing it in their own bank accounts; most of it was going to producers and promoters, etc. It opened the Chicks’ eyes and they went on to leverage for a far better contract. 

• Upvote 11

7 minutes ago, Cam said:

Yeah, something about Jeremy teaching young college women just makes me wonder what could go wrong……

That caused pause for me, too. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Slightly off topic, but for those who watch the Superbowl, there will be two religious ads airing from the “He gets Us” campaign, “he” being Jesus. The ads are nothing new, however, the article I will link to below states:

But certain details about the “He Gets Us” ads have set off alarm bells among young people and those skeptical of religion, two groups the campaign is specifically to attract.

Some of the campaign’s major donors, and its holding company, have ties to conservative political aims and far-right ideologies that appear at odds with the campaign’s inclusive messaging.

The campaign has connections to anti-LGBT and anti-abortion laws 

The chain of influence behind “He Gets Us” can be followed through public records and information on the campaign’s own site. The campaign is a subsidiary of The Servant Foundation, also known as the Signatry. 

According to research compiled by Jacobin, a left-leaning news outlet, The Servant Foundation has donated tens of millions to the Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative Christian legal group. The ADF has been involved in several legislative pushes to curtail LGBTQ rights and quash non-discrimination legislation in the Supreme Court.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/11/us/he-gets-us-super-bowl-commercials-cec/index.html

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

5 hours ago, Cam said:

Could be that some WM employees who Derick worked with made off-handed comments like, “Well, you really don’t have to work because you’re raking in all that money from TLC.” And Derick would have thought, “Hey, no I’m not. Why is that?” It could have been a seed planted in his mind to start questioning. 

It happened with the Dixie Chicks. (Now known as The Chicks). In the middle of their fame, Dan Rather spent some time with them on tour and interviewed them. He talked about the massive amounts of money being made off of all the long hours and hard work they put in. The Chicks wondered why they weren’t seeing it in their own bank accounts; most of it was going to producers and promoters, etc. It opened the Chicks’ eyes and they went on to leverage for a far better contract. 

Yeah, could be. I really wasn't thinking that he found out about JB and the TLC money through his work at WM, only that, as an accountant, he would have been attuned to thinking about his and Jill's finances even before they were married. Maybe he asked Jill about her assets so as to set up a joint bank account, etc., and found out she had bupkis. (I wonder if the girls even had bank accounts on their own before they got married? I'm guessing not.)

I would love if some state or federal tax authorities dug into JB's finances. I mean, supposedly most of his older children were "employed" by him and whatever business entity (entities) he and Meesh own at various times, and I've always wondered if he actually paid them salaries and paid payroll taxes on them.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

James was far behind the curriculum layout for SoS.  That's on him and Michelle and Jim Bob or he has learning differences that weren't being properly addressed.

I’ve suspected James had ADHD or something similar. If so shame on Jim Bob and Michelle for not getting him the help he needs.

• Upvote 5

I also read that the He Gets Us campaign was harvesting  data/info when people sign up to target for religious and political purposes. I don’t know how credible that it is but it seems like what people would do and justify because: ministry 

• Upvote 3

On 2/12/2023 at 2:15 PM, Baba O'Riley said:

Jinger's book is #4 on the NY Times "Advice, How-To & Miscellaneous " Best Sellers list, published tonight online.  I don't think it belongs in that section, I think it it should be considered non-fiction.  Maybe it wouldn't have sold enough to be on the non-fiction list.  I guess they see it as a "how to escape a cult" self-help book. 

624127279_Screenshot2023-02-11220803.thumb.png.70e1bd162284b4deee471639849bd5cf.png

It’s my understanding that publishers choose the BISAC codes and the NYT bestseller lists are based on those. So Jinger’s publisher would have decided to call it advice, either because that’s what they genuinely think it is, or in the hopes that there’s less competition for bestseller status in that category.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

13 hours ago, Mostly Catholic said:

Yeah, could be. I really wasn't thinking that he found out about JB and the TLC money through his work at WM, only that, as an accountant, he would have been attuned to thinking about his and Jill's finances even before they were married. Maybe he asked Jill about her assets so as to set up a joint bank account, etc., and found out she had bupkis. (I wonder if the girls even had bank accounts on their own before they got married? I'm guessing not.)

I would love if some state or federal tax authorities dug into JB's finances. I mean, supposedly most of his older children were "employed" by him and whatever business entity (entities) he and Meesh own at various times, and I've always wondered if he actually paid them salaries and paid payroll taxes on them.

I think a number of red flags popped up that made Derick begin to question the status quo when it came to how money was or was not divvied out in Duggar-dom. He was made to feel like a part of the family until it came to the money and JB and TLC turning their backs on the Dillards high hospital bills from baby delivery complications.

I would think JB could claim 19 kids as tax exemptions (before they were married) as long as they each weren’t making more than x amount of money. Ka-ching. That’d be one main reason not to pay them individually. With their SOTDRT edumacation, the kids had no clue. Blind faith in their parents is what they were taught. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I also read that the He Gets Us campaign was harvesting  data/info when people sign up to target for religious and political purposes. I don’t know how credible that it is but it seems like what people would do and justify because: ministry 

It wouldn’t surprise me if this is true.

3 hours ago, Smee said:

It’s my understanding that publishers choose the BISAC codes and the NYT bestseller lists are based on those. So Jinger’s publisher would have decided to call it advice, either because that’s what they genuinely think it is, or in the hopes that there’s less competition for bestseller status in that category.

On Reddit, it was said that a symbol (a dagger maybe?) next to the book title indicated a bulk purchase and the speculation was that the MacArthur cult bought up a bunch of these books to distribute to whomever.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic