IGNORED

Jinjer 59: Cooking with Prepared Spice Mix

Coconut Flan

While JB did all this performative screening of potential husbands, I think Derick probably was sincere about joining the cult at the time - he’d been JB’s prayer partner and watched the show enough to know he was an arsehole but still went for it.
Jill’s wedding pulled in huge ratings and then the show got cancelled. They were given a reprieve with ‘Jill and Jessa Counting On’ and JB realised that weddings were the answer if the show was to survive and he could get the rest of the family back on TV (minus Josh), I think Jeremy genuinely got one over on him- he had the confidence and experience to get through the tests and I’m sure JB thought the fact he was more attractive and a former sports ‘star’ could only help ratings (lest we forget JB loved the attention and money). Plus I think he was keen to marry off the daughters that had been abused so he could say ‘look, nothing to see here, happily married, everything is fine’.

As for Jeremy- I think he enjoyed his time playing footballl, he saw his pal Ben get a pretty wife, a house and appear on TV despite no discernible talent or charm and thought he could do even better. I’m sure he loves Jinger and his daughters, but I can’t help but feel he was playing the long game and he outplayed JB.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

I just saw this very sad article:

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/news/jinger-duggar-felt-like-she-needed-to-lose-weight-as-teenager/

Longtime lurker here. I really appreciate your insights.

I’ve always assumed disordered eating ran rampant through gothard’s cult and other fundie circles. Mainstream culture pushes thinness onto women. And fundies seem to take our expectations of women and then times them by 100. So of course they will expect women in the cult to stay thin. Especially after about a million babies. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 5

6 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Plus I think he was keen to marry off the daughters that had been abused so he could say ‘look, nothing to see here, happily married, everything is fine’.

Most definitely. It was one more instance of JB smoothing over Josh’s crimes.

6 hours ago, Idlewild said:

As for Jeremy- I think he enjoyed his time playing footballl, he saw his pal Ben get a pretty wife, a house and appear on TV despite no discernible talent or charm and thought he could do even better. I’m sure he loves Jinger and his daughters, but I can’t help but feel he was playing the long game and he outplayed JB.

I do not know who this Ben is that you mention.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cam said:

Most definitely. It was one more instance of JB smoothing over Josh’s crimes.

Content warning for religious abuse

Spoiler

Especially since according to the teachings of the Goddard cult, the molested children were damaged goods that were responsible for being assaulted by their brother. 

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I agree that there is a spectrum of horrors in these movements. It doesn’t make any of it okay or minimize the harm, but it’s possible someone can nominally in these places and LARP around instagram with beards and pipes and reformed theology books. But I think those guys don’t last.

The True Believers will always be abusive. Ans I  the extra sinister thing is that you never know who is just a lip-service nominalistic Calvinist and who beats their wife. Because anyone who will abuse people also has ability to deceive everyone.

I had an abusive family member. Years after I grew up and moved away I came in close contact with them for a time. They seemed normal and healthy…different. One day, they thought I wasn’t around and I overheard them in a narcissist rage. It was a huge realization for me because I had *literally grown up with it* and still fell for the facade. 

Abusive people are master manipulators. I will always believe someone who says they were abused. 

She’s all over twitter passively aggressively shaming Jinger for coming forward. What makes it even more ridiculous is for all that Jinger names about Gothard, she never said much about her parents. She is treading very carefully. Lori  can’t handle even a hint of an adult child being empowered to confront abusive parents.

The older Duggar girls all seem fond of their mother. I remember seeing a clip of Meech playing violin with the girls. Maybe she did bond with her daughters, despite the family size and dynamics.

• Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

The older Duggar girls all seem fond of their mother. I remember seeing a clip of Meech playing violin with the girls. Maybe she did bond with her daughters, despite the family size and dynamics.

I think the oldest daughter almost always bonds with the mother. Because she’s the second mother. Nurie is Jill’s favorite. Michael is obviously one of Kelly’s favorites. Miriam is one of Zoo’s favorites. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Jana was Michelle’s favorite. And I also wouldn’t be surprised if Michelle bonded with the four oldest girls because they were the leaders of her Buddy groups. They helped her the most. Much more than her husband or any of the boys. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

The name of that book has to be some sort of play on Free Jinger, doesn’t it? I could imagine Jeremy being passive aggressive enough to suggest it. I find him so Eddie Haskellish.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

I would be very surprised if the book's title had anything to do with this board. I doubt any of the Duggars, including those "free" such as Jill or Jinger look positively on the comments that are made here about them and their family. Being free is an incredibly cliché Christian saying, it's not a very surprising title. 

• Upvote 7

34 minutes ago, viii said:

I would be very surprised if the book's title had anything to do with this board. I doubt any of the Duggars, including those "free" such as Jill or Jinger look positively on the comments that are made here about them and their family. Being free is an incredibly cliché Christian saying, it's not a very surprising title. 

Oh I don’t think it’s positive — I think she’s trolling us. With a convenient Bible verse for plausible deniability. I think it’s a bit clever of her actually. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Oh I don’t think it’s positive — I think she’s trolling us. With a convenient Bible verse for plausible deniability. I think it’s a bit clever of her actually. 

I think that's giving Jinger far too much credit. I doubt she thinks about this board very much at all. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Just now, viii said:

I think that's giving Jinger far too much credit. I doubt she thinks about this board very much at all. 

She writes about us in the book! 

• Upvote 6

I'm not saying she doesn't know about the board, because of course she does, but I doubt she spends a lot of time thinking or visiting here, and if she does, I doubt they view the place very favorably. There are a lot of horrible things said here about the family (whether it's well deserved or not is a matter of perspective). I just don't see the Duggar family, even someone like Jinger, being pro FJ. It's complete wishful thinking, imo, and I don't get why people want the board to matter so much to them. I'd rather they didn't think about us but then again, I don't like to touch the fourth wall. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

I think Michelle bonded with the oldest children because she actually had to raise them herself. There were buddies to pawn them off on. So the oldest got a lot more intention from mom than the younger kids. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Seems somebody here? Some article I read? Said that actually authors often don't pick the book titles.

Maybe the publisher is trolling us so to speak?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

37 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Seems somebody here? Some article I read? Said that actually authors often don't pick the book titles.

See, I doubt Jinger has spent much time here but my guess is that her coauthor has.

It is the way of Calvinistic scholasticism to thoroughly research other ideas and carefully filter it through the 5 point theology.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Sort of. Publisher gets final say on the title and it may not be the author’s choice, but if an author submits a manuscript with a working title that is still often what it winds up being published as. My first book’s title changed between contract and publication, but only because I told my publisher some of the other titles I’d considered and he liked one better. Most of my writer friends’ books were published with the titles they chose, but it’s not uncommon for a publisher to change it.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

Jinger might be too busy to surf much, but Jeremy…if any Vuolo is hanging out here, it’s definitely him.

• Upvote 3

I guess we'll never actually know. It will be interesting to see if she de tangles more. I want to see Jill's book though! (Or Derrick? But I suppose lawyer Derrick has other priorities now)

• Upvote 3

Wasn’t the university? Institute? Seminary? Involved in the production of this book? Maybe they encouraged Jinger to include what she did about Gothard and his approach? Perhaps as a wait to distance themselves from being associated with the crazy?

17 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/news/jinger-duggar-felt-like-she-needed-to-lose-weight-as-teenager/

Eating disorders are also highly inheritable and I remember Michelle talking about her own teenage eating disorder behaviors. If you add hereditary disposition to the clusterfuck that is fundamentalism, especially Gothardism, I’m not surprised Jinger felt pressure to lose weight as a child. 

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I guess we'll never actually know. It will be interesting to see if she de tangles more. I want to see Jill's book though! (Or Derrick? But I suppose lawyer Derrick has other priorities now)

I too would love for Derrick to spill the tea… For a while there he gave zero fucks. But now he has a respectful job and career… 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

Jinger talked about her ED in the book she co-authored with Jer. With the help of Meech, she apparently prayed it away. 

I remember her looking very thin in her late teens/early 20s. One picture I remember was with her behind the wheel of the Stinkbus. Her arms were skeletal, and her clothes hung on her. I'm glad she's come clean. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

You and me both. I'm glad that Jinger is seemingly in a better place, but Jill's changes seem more real to me.

4 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I'd be way more interested in Jill's or even Derrick's take than Jinger's. I sincerely hope Jinger is in a better place now, but she doesn't strike me as likely to have any real breakthrough.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

She talks about disordered eating in the interview with AB Stuckey. She says she was really worried about gaining weight & would sleep in as long as possible to avoid meals. 

She talked to her mom about it and Michelle became her accountability partner and Jinger would text her what she ate for the day.

Maybe she explains more in the book about how/if it evolved or resolved. She didn’t really expand much on whether it still affected her daily life or not. 

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 4

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic