IGNORED

Jinjer 59: Cooking with Prepared Spice Mix

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

They were well enough to pick it up in the car! 

Jinger sounded and looked sick. Jeremy did not. Later, did I see a video of him eating? Am I making it up?  I’m betting Jinger was really sick and the operation fell apart because she does the bulk of the holiday planning and work, just like many other women. Were the girls in the car? 

• Upvote 9

The picture of Jeremy in the car with a giant bag on Jinger's lap has disappeared, so I think that was a story. I assume they had the kids with them. 

The picture of Jer gnawing on a turkey leg remains. 

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

The picture of Jeremy in the car with a giant bag on Jinger's lap has disappeared, so I think that was a story. I assume they had the kids with them. 

The picture of Jer gnawing on a turkey leg remains. 

Of course the picture still exists. Manly men do manly things. (That was a favorite line of one of my college roommates and I.)

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, marmalade said:

They were well enough to pick it up in the car! 

If I’m sick and have to get the kids into the car, I’m definitely sending the husband, alone to pick up the food. Or have him take the 2 YO and leave the 4 YO with me. If I’m sick, and Jinger did not sound or look well in that story, I’m staying at home.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

If I’m sick and have to get the kids into the car, I’m definitely sending the husband, alone to pick up the food. Or have him take the 2 YO and leave the 4 YO with me. If I’m sick, and Jinger did not sound or look well in that story, I’m staying at home.

Exactly. My husband would be like, “why don’t I just go by myself?” Jinger is just so free! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Thanks for finding and sharing that! I feel like she misses out on one big thing though, and I'm certainly not trying to speak for everyone here, but the forum WANTED Jinger to be free, not just for her to be happy, but because we view their beliefs as oppressive and patriarchal. I interpreted that snippet to mean that she thought people were bashing her family just to be mean, not because many there is a fundamental issue with the way she was raised, a culture that fosters abuse and dampens creativity and independence.

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I’m glad she feels positive towards us. We’ve known that they know about us for years, because FJ was cited in the complaint for the girls’ FOIA lawsuit. Possibly they could have signed it without reading it, but I think they would have had to read it in case they needed to testify.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

I see the ghostwriter's fingers all over that little snippet. The phrase "curators of the website" is simultaneously pretentious and clunky. 

She/MacArthur's flunkee also apparently go after Josh Harris and his "deconstruction" movement. 

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 10

You know Jinger you can live in a big city and be a person of faith. There are plenty of.....progressive, inclusive churches in cities filled with faithful, Jesus-loving people. Just a thought. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2

I can’t help but have a visceral reaction to Jinger’s title about being free. Probably because I expect her to have to do a shit ton of therapy before she feels close to free. Fuck! I don’t even feel free from so much of the shit that I went through in my childhood and young adult years. And I’ve had lots of therapy!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can’t help but have a visceral reaction to Jinger’s title about being free. Probably because I expect her to have to do a shit ton of therapy before she feels close to free. Fuck! I don’t even feel free from so much of the shit that I went through in my childhood and young adult years. And I’ve had lots of therapy!

I agree. I've been "deconstructed" from the christian church for almost 10 years and I still don't feel free (damn you hymns that still pop into my head when I'm trying to fall asleep at night). I think she won't allow herself to do the real work, or she doesn't even know what is possible. True freedom is probably something she can't even conceptualize because while she may not follow the teachings of gothard anymore, she still has a very black and white (and immature) view of what it looks like to be "free to do whatever you want" if you are not following Jesus. I feel like to her it's either follow Jesus, or be passed out drunk in the streets every night because you have no self control and no rules. Girlfriend is afraid to even pick a Netflix show! She's never been given the opportunity to make her own decisions, so she has to think it must be horrible to have that kind of control/autonomy over your own life. That's the only way she can make it through the day, I imagine. 

• Upvote 9

I thought it was already believed that Jinger knew about the site several years ago.  I vaguely remember reading here that she was aware of us and thought the name was kind of funny.  I know that carries very little weight, but perhaps an older member has a better memory than I do.  I for sure would believe the knew about the site but I find it less believable that she'd actually read here or even name a book after us once I learned about that bible verse.  Guess the only way to know for sure would be if she told us... which she won't.

• Upvote 2

She also got one thing wrong. The name came long before she professed her wish to be in a big city. It came from those little sparks of personality in the first special when every other girl was talking like an automaton. 

• Upvote 26

41 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I thought it was already believed that Jinger knew about the site several years ago.  I vaguely remember reading here that she was aware of us and thought the name was kind of funny.  I know that carries very little weight, but perhaps an older member has a better memory than I do.  I for sure would believe the knew about the site but I find it less believable that she'd actually read here or even name a book after us once I learned about that bible verse.  Guess the only way to know for sure would be if she told us... which she won't.

She mentioned FJ in the Jinjer love story book. I don't remember context, as I read the book in about 2 hours, and now remember very little. 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, noseybutt said:

I  am amused that her coauthor has likely spent many an hour lurking here.

Lurking? LURKING??!!  How dare you, I'm a well established MEMBER!!!

(**Joke - I am NOT the co-author of Jinger's book....) 

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 25

1 hour ago, IrishCarrie said:

Lurking? LURKING??!!  How dare you, I'm a well established MEMBER!!!

(**Joke - I am NOT the co-author of Jinger's book....) 

But would you tell us if your were lol.

Maybe you’re a pilot. The Duggars keep it on the down low that John David is a pilot… 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 22

On 12/21/2022 at 4:26 AM, Captain Obvious said:

But also, her entire book is called Becoming Free, so FJ clearly wasn’t totally wrong about her wanting freedom and assuming she didn’t have any. She talks repeatedly about getting free from her family’s way of doing things. What is that if not becoming free (even if it’s not becoming an atheist heathen like she aimes we all are)? I feel like Jinger missed the point of this site’s title in this passage in a big way. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

5 hours ago, SisterCupcake said:

But also, her entire book is called Becoming Free, so FJ clearly wasn’t totally wrong about her wanting freedom and assuming she didn’t have any. She talks repeatedly about getting free from her family’s way of doing things. What is that if not becoming free (even if it’s not becoming an atheist heathen like she aimes we all are)? I feel like Jinger missed the point of this site’s title in this passage in a big way. 

It seems like a very different definition of the word free. Coauthor will give the Reformed/Calvinistic definition and that’s a different definition from most of Christianity.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Here's a portion of a Johnny Mac sermon on "freedom." My apologies for not being able to use the spoiler tab. 

"Now, in order to " become free, " you have to make sure that you get the Bible out of the way because the Bible condemns much of what people want to do. So there has to be a denunciation of the Bible and the role that the Bible plays.

You need to get the Bible out of the schools, you need to get the Bible out of the public discourse, because if people bring up the Bible, it’s going to encroach upon someone’s freedom, and if someone quotes the Bible, they’re going to be saying something that somebody doesn’t want to hear, and that in itself should be considered a crime. Laws are fast being installed that are leading to one goal: To make biblical Christianity a crime - to make biblical Christianity a crime, that’s what it is about, to silence the Word of God. The society wants to be free from any moral restraint.

Now, let me tell you what this freedom is. It is not freedom. It is sin addiction. All human beings, apart from the gospel and salvation in Christ, are sin addicts. Everybody has his own assortment and concoction of drugs, but they’re all sin addicts. You can pick your poison, you can pick your sin, and you can even pick the level to which you escalate your sinful behavior, but you have to understand this, that the whole human race is made up of sin addicts. And if anything is true about them, it is this: They are not free.

No one would look at a heroin addict and suggest that that person was free. We would suggest that that is probably the worst sort of temporal human bondage that someone could be in. Someone addicted to opioids or someone addicted to heroin or someone addicted to any other kind of behavior that is destructive, self-destructive, we would never see that as a kind of freedom. We would see it as a horrible bondage that needs to be broken.

We need to look at the entire human race, not as people who are free but as people who are addicted to sin, and it’s an addiction they can’t break, and it’s killing them. And the death is not just physical, it is eternal. The whole human race is sin-sick and addicted to iniquity. In fact, Jesus says in John 8:34 - and here’s the sum of it: Everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. Everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin, and everyone does commit sin; therefore, everyone is the slave of sin, everyone is an iniquity addict.

Two verses later, in John 8:36, it says, “Only if Christ sets you free are you really free.” So what people in our society think is freedom is simply a more extreme, public, unrestrained manifestation of their addiction to iniquity. In fact, the Bible is so clear about this that it says there is no one who is good, all they are is evil, there’s no good thing in anyone, even that which we might see as righteous is filthy rags.

Picture in your mind the worst scene of human drug addiction as it takes the victim near to death, and he sits in rags somewhere in a black alley, waiting to die and sticking the needle in again, and you have an illustration of what it is to be an unregenerate sinner. You can choose your drug, you can choose your sin, you can’t break your addiction.

When Christ comes, He sets us free from that addiction to sin. In the past, in our culture, there were some sort of social restraints. There were some limits that society put on people. There were certain expectations. You go back a few decades and there was a kind of general sense of goodness, there was a general sense of the importance of family, for example. I don’t know if you know this, 26 out of 27 school shooters had no father. What’s the common denominator?

There was a time when people had mothers and they had fathers and they had families and there was a sense of morality. And there were behaviors that had shame built into them, and you didn’t flaunt them, you hid them. All that is gone. There was a time when you could say there was a general goodness, there was a general kindness. In fact, there were literally millions of people who went to war for this country and other countries and died for the wellbeing of people they would never meet who hadn’t even been born. That was very sacrificial. But that was what people did in a nobler time.

Now there’s a mad rush into every imaginable and unimaginable form of iniquity, and it’s flaunted. This has become a problem for the church because at the same time the world is running rapidly after this freedom, the church has decided it needs to be the friend of these sin-laden people. So there’s a move toward pragmatism. We want to be accepting of these people. We want to welcome these people. We want them to like us.

In the liberal denominations, it’s, of course, reached almost virtually a terminal point where the true church is gone altogether, and the false church is now under the control of immoral ministers, homosexual bishops, lesbian pastors offering same-sex marriage, but even in the evangelical church where people say they believe the gospel, there’s a very, very carefully constructed method to try to win the world over, and that demands that we not confront their true condition. We can’t take their freedom."

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-library/48-30/understanding-christian-freedom

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 4

She just traded one set of chains for another. They might be prettier or shinier, but they're still the same damn chains. 

• Upvote 20
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for posting that snippet @marmalade. The Calvinistic definition of freedom is freedom from sin.

No freedom in term of free will and ability to choose.

No freedom in terms of access to education and jobs and healthcare.

Thus the harkening back to some mystical golden era several generations back when women and African Americans and the disabled  and those with mental illness were in no way free. But by Mac’s determination there was less sin so there really was more freedom. 

Edited by noseybutt
  • Upvote 7

The way the people who attend the church actually operate and live is they do have access to education, jobs of their choice, and choosing their own healthcare.  We always have to remember people hear things at church that they leave at the door.  Plus the church does run a university so it truly isn't opposed to education.  This is nothing like the Gothard stay away from the world and homeschool only with Wisdom Booklets.  

I always feel I need to add the disclaimer, however, this is not a church I could attend regularly and definitely never join.  But it is a regular, if conservative church.  It's a big step away from Gothard's parachurch group and the IFB.  I still don't agree with them.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 5

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic