IGNORED

M is for Mama 15

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

How the sweet hell did that poor kid get the idea to iron a towel so mommy dearest can feel warm when she gets out of the drawn-for-her bath?! I literally have never done that or thought of that, and I am not a low-maintenance kind of gal. She has to have those kids trained to wait on her. That is beyond gross. 🤮

Why can't she buy a towel warmer? We got ours at a garage sale so I imagine she could thrift one. Not as fun as making children wait on her. Maybe Abbie could compete with JRod in turning children into slavish attendants to their sweet mamas.

• Upvote 9

25 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Why can't she buy a towel warmer? We got ours at a garage sale so I imagine she could thrift one. Not as fun as making children wait on her. Maybe Abbie could compete with JRod in turning children into slavish attendants to their sweet mamas.

I LOVE my towel warmer. And I can out bitch Abby. Since Christmas I’ve had a cold, influenza (that I got while caring for my elderly parents who had been hospitalized with such and a fall), and bronchitis. I literally have coughed, enough to vomit for the last 6 weeks. My doctor said if it goes beyond 8 weeks we’ll get a CXR. Lord I do not know how people do life altering illness. On top of this, I live in an area of CA that has had bad flooding, landslides, downed trees, days without power, constant rain and we are looking at another atmospheric river over the next week. We’ve already had 45 inches of rain this season. We usually have about 15 inches/year.  President Biden even came to visit the disaster zone and his entourage flew over my home shaking the windows. 

Bring on Spring, please. I’m waving the white flag!!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 15

Considering how she much she complained about Shiloh, she has some nerve lecturing other women about how to feel about the toddlers. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

Ironing towels? Why not throw them in the dryer for a few minutes to warm them up?

• Upvote 10
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 5

9 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

Ironing towels? Why not throw them in the dryer for a few minutes to warm them up?

Good point. I’m sure everyone over age 5 knows how to use the w/d in that house!

• Upvote 5

Ack!  Posted in wrong thread.  Nevermind.

Edited by Xan

The dryer idea is good @FiveAcres. When my kids were small if they were cold I'd throw their blanket in for a little bit. They LOVED that. Or I'd take the hair dryer and blow it under the blanket for a few seconds and get it good and warm. 

Edited by fluffernutter
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2

997341702_Screenshot_20230310-1011402.png.03838d9fb5534fc9fcc204f08a7ba0b9.png

When I was still working, we called shit like this, 'selling the dream'. On what planet would a typical mother of 10 children have time to sit around in a sunroom in the middle of the afternoon reading the bible while wearing a stupid hat? Abbie wouldn't have time for this sort of nonsense if she had 10 kids with 1/5 the income. She isn't a better parent than the women she spends so much time judging, she just has more money. And more money means more time. She has time to decompress when the kids overwhelm her. She can head off to her body pump classes to get out some of the aggression. She can hire a mother's helper, pay for extracurriculars that get the kids out of the house. She can sit around in her stupid hat and claim that Jesus makes it so but it's really Shaun's bank account. 

Here's the accompanying text if anyone cares.

Spoiler

1031277782_Screenshot_20230310-1013222.png.0bbc24ab5fbd0dd92c4e7641f01f56a6.png

• Upvote 10
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, SuperNova said:

997341702_Screenshot_20230310-1011402.png.03838d9fb5534fc9fcc204f08a7ba0b9.png

When I was still working, we called shit like this, 'selling the dream'. On what planet would a typical mother of 10 children have time to sit around in a sunroom in the middle of the afternoon reading the bible while wearing a stupid hat? Abbie wouldn't have time for this sort of nonsense if she had 10 kids with 1/5 the income. She isn't a better parent than the women she spends so much time judging, she just has more money. And more money means more time. She has time to decompress when the kids overwhelm her. She can head off to her body pump classes to get out some of the aggression. She can hire a mother's helper, pay for extracurriculars that get the kids out of the house. She can sit around in her stupid hat and claim that Jesus makes it so but it's really Shaun's bank account. 

Here's the accompanying text if anyone cares.

Hide contents

1031277782_Screenshot_20230310-1013222.png.0bbc24ab5fbd0dd92c4e7641f01f56a6.png

This is my biggest problem with lifestyle instagrams and YouTube channels. They are all people with more money that most Americans. It’s easy to have beautiful content when you have money for the perfect lighting, editing software, cameras, homes, trendy fun future, Anthro clothing, designer dogs, Nannie’s, luxury cars, and beautiful vacations across the globe. And people making $40,000 a year are supposed to aspire to that? How? Are they supposed to win the fucking lottery or something? 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 12
  • Thank You 1

The hat is so over the top. "So Extra" I think my girls would say. Or maybe not lol I am so out of touch.  When I was a sahm with my three kids I was in sweats, no bra, no make up, and certainly no damn hat. Reminds me of that South Park episode where Cartman decides to make a Christian album and they are all posing on the beach, facing different ways. It's so fake. And now all the lipstick and latte ladies will be gathering in groups to "study" this drivel in depth. 🤮

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

The hat is so over the top. "So Extra" I think my girls would say. Or maybe not lol I am so out of touch.  When I was a sahm with my three kids I was in sweats, no bra, no make up, and certainly no damn hat. Reminds me of that South Park episode where Cartman decides to make a Christian album and they are all posing on the beach, facing different ways. It's so fake. And now all the lipstick and latte ladies will be gathering in groups to "study" this drivel in depth. 🤮

I wear very cheap leisure clothing as a SAHM. That’s a way most SAHMs try to save money. Since you aren’t going to work, you don’t have to buy work clothes. And SAHMs don’t make money so you look for ways to save. I get that Braggie makes her own money and her husband makes plenty. But even rich stay at home moms will often just wear very high end leisure wear through out a lot of the day. Because who wants to wear a random wide brim hat indoors? Your toddler will just rip it off your head and wear it themselves 😂

• Upvote 11

Free Jinger and it's hatred of hats is funny. Like this forum gets so mad at Indoor hat wearing. I don't care if she wears a hat, although she is kind of dressed like a mountie. (I know the mounties wear red). The point is I wear hats often and wearing hat doesn't actually hinder someone from doing something else. It's less the hat then someone with 10 kids (including little ones) has quiet time to sit and read during the day. 

• Upvote 1

Hats are definitely an instagram aesthetic. They are almost cliche anymore. Literally every female on social media who wants a following will post at least one very staged looking picture with a hat. That’s why people hate it. It’s so overdone and fake.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Retired GM here. My uniform is black yoga pants (Target) and warmup jacket (Amazon), no bra, makeup or hat. Exception- baseball hat when I take the dogs out for a walk. I am so NOT extra!

• Love 3

Black yoga pants (Costco) and Land's End t shirt (super sale) with a sports bra.  No makeup no hat except when taking a walk.  No one I know dresses or wears hats working or sitting around the house.  It's all for a SM look that isn't reality.  

• Upvote 3

I work outside of the house and my general "uniform" is black lululemon yoga pants, chelsey boots, and some sort of top that changes depending on the occasion. Sometimes I put on "real" pants and a blazer. 

I love the aesthetic of hats but I absolutely hate wearing them. No matter how cute they are I just hate having them on my head and feel really uncomfortable, inside or out. Sunny day or not. Yet I still buy them in a misguided attempt to think that "this time it will work!" Nope. 

Kind of like knitting. You know, every two years or so I'm like "yeah, I love knitting" and drop like $200 on supplies that I have to sell in a garage sale with a half finished scarf six months later. 😂

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And people making $40,000 a year are supposed to aspire to that? 

I literally don't know how anyone can raise kids on 40K a year. I don't think I could even support myself. With 2 kids that's 2500/month take home, my state has no income tax so that's federal only. Cheapest non scary/non scam rent in my area on zillow is around $1800 for a three bedroom. Car payment (car centric city) $400, that's leaving like nothing for food, clothes, kids activities, etc. Day care alone is 1-2 grand, so that's right out. Health insurance? Renters insurance? Car insurance? Heat is going to be between $75/month in the summer and $400 in the winter. Water is usually less than $100, Internet for work & school? $200. Phones? $100/month. Minimum wage in my state is like 10.50, I don't know how anyone can live on that, much less have kids. Even adding in the $250 or whatever you get for SNAP if you make less than 36000, and the free phone, even a bus pass is still $60/month and busses don't run after 8 and most of the stops are about a mile and an hour apart. Unless you live in one particular neighborhood and need to go downtown. But then you get to worry about your toddler being shot through the wall of their slummy apartment. 

Influencers need to stop trying to make people think their lifestyle is obtainable for all. It's really not. 

• Upvote 15

I had a though about Evy ironing Braggie's towel rather than the dryer/ heated towel rack option:

Braggie is all about her children having a servant's heart and actually serving people -- going out of their way to physically do something. It's a sacrificial act on the part of the child.

Using the dryer or a heated rack is not sacrificial -- it's not physically going out of one's way.  Evy had to erect the ironing board, get a large bath towel, heat the iron, iron the towel and then take it to Braggie.

A heated rack isn't a sacrificial act.  Throwing a towel in the dryer isn't enough physically going out of one's way.  It's not a big deal.  Ironing a towel is, especially for a child.

I'm positive Braggie told Evy to iron her towel -- and you know it was a huge bath towel. Braggie wants to be served by her children.  I venture to say she demands to be served by her children. Of course they comply (Braggie has rages as we all know).

I wonder if Braggie has ever heated a towel even once for one of her children. I vote No.

Braggie does not have a servant's heart. Braggie has a taker's heart.

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

I think Braggie is probably a lot like Jill. And her kids placate her so she doesn’t throw a fit or melt down. I think it’s possible her kids do these things without asking because they’ve gotten very good at identifying mom’s moods. And if they know she’s about to lose it, they scramble to do whatever they can to avoid that melt down. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

And it’s weird because in the past Abbie has complained about her thoughtful and sensitive daughter, because she did not understand her. AH admits that she is not thoughtful, sensitive or emotional. She really did not need to explain her characteristics. I’ve never met AH in person, but I can tell she is flat and disengaged just from her posts and how she responds to even the slightest criticism. It’s why I am so bothered by her Jesus speak and her flying her Christian flag. She is either a phony or the least self aware fundie we discuss. She has monetized Jesus and motherhood and is an authority on neither.

• Upvote 12

So the post under the spoiler came with a short video (reel? I'm not social media savvy) where the dubbed sound was a little song about ridicule and persecution. Abbie can't seem to get it through her pointy little head that opposing opinions are not the same thing as persecution. No doubt that some people are just plain mean but that's the reality of social media. No one is putting Abbie in the cross hairs to be poked at. No one forced her to write a book filled with terrible parenting advice.

The most strange thing in this back patting post is her thinking that secular people would find her foolish for spending time with her children. F*#cking what?! Who in the history of ever said that? Abbie just sets up those straw men and knocks 'em down. 

Spoiler

1561330364_Screenshot_20230313-1000232.thumb.png.18af4bd91f5d01c5a1023a740ceddf44.png599357176_Screenshot_20230313-1000302.png.2851c835e9a6d886844837bfc41b67a6.png

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 6

14 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

So the post under the spoiler came with a short video (reel? I'm not social media savvy) where the dubbed sound was a little song about ridicule and persecution. Abbie can't seem to get it through her pointy little head that opposing opinions are not the same thing as persecution. No doubt that some people are just plain mean but that's the reality of social media. No one is putting Abbie in the cross hairs to be poked at. No one forced her to write a book filled with terrible parenting advice.

The most strange thing in this back patting post her thinking that secular people would find her foolish for spending time with her children. F*#cking what?! Who in the history of ever said that? Abbie just sets up those straw men and knocks 'em down. 

Hide contents

1561330364_Screenshot_20230313-1000232.thumb.png.18af4bd91f5d01c5a1023a740ceddf44.png599357176_Screenshot_20230313-1000302.png.2851c835e9a6d886844837bfc41b67a6.png

She blocked me a long time ago for “liking” a comment that called her out. I didn’t even comment myself. So she may act like she doesn’t have time for petty things. But that’s not true. She combs through her comment section blocking anyone disagreeing with her and even the people who like the post disagreeing with her. She lives in an echo chamber. She can’t handle even a “like” that doesn’t fully agree with her. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She blacked me a long time ago for “liking” a comment that called her out. I didn’t even comment myself. So she may act like she doesn’t have time for petty things. But that’s not true. She combs through her comment section blocking anyone disagreeing with her and even the people who like the post disagreeing with her. She lives in an echo chamber. She can’t handle even a “like” that doesn’t fully agree with her. 

Exactly. Like how does she claim that she doesn't have time but still managed to watch an airport rando for over a half an hour while they scrolled through her posts being mean to her? She would have had to watch that person closely. 

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

Exactly. Like how does she claim that she doesn't have time but still managed to watch an airport rando for over a half an hour while they scrolled through her posts being mean to her? She would have had to watch that person closely. 

I think it’s weird when people act like they are better than others because they don’t have any extra time in their lives. Ummm, that’s not a brag. I feel sorry for people who have zero extra time in their lives because they are busy busy busy 24/7. I don’t buy into the American mindset that being busy all the time is some sort of noble trait. It’s not. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

On 3/10/2023 at 11:50 PM, Maggie Mae said:

Kind of like knitting. You know, every two years or so I'm like "yeah, I love knitting" and drop like $200 on supplies that I have to sell in a garage sale with a half finished scarf six months later. 😂

OT, but next time start with one pair of straight needles (Size 7 is good) and a >$2 skein of cotton peaches and cream yarn. I always suggest people start with dishcloths, not scarves. Scarves are repetitive and boring and long. With a dishcloth you can try out various skills and patterns and even if it's awful it'll be functional!

I like hats, but rarely wear them. It just feels like trying too hard sometimes, unless it's brightly sunny out or it's cold and I'm wearing a knit beanie. That's a me thing, though, and I need to get over it. Hats are cute, IMO!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

27 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it’s weird when people act like they are better than others because they don’t have any extra time in their lives. Ummm, that’s not a brag. I feel sorry for people who have zero extra time in their lives because they are busy busy busy 24/7. I don’t buy into the American mindset that being busy all the time is some sort of noble trait. It’s not. 

Most of the people I know who are always “so busy” are either remarkably inefficient or have massive FOMO. My mother, not once in her late 80 years on this planet, has ever cooked an entire family dinner. And I’m not talking about Thanksgiving or Christmas. I’m talking, a random week night dinner. When my dad worked 24 hours (firefighter) she took us to the grandparents for dinner. My GM worked. My mom did not. And, yes, she is sooooooo busy, and always has been. Yep, remarkably inefficient and never, ever on time for anything. 

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic