IGNORED

M is for Mama 15

Coconut Flan

Something like that - maybe in her childhood? It was vague enough to not have to admit closeness. 

I think it’s kind of like the VF people being like, Doug, who? Or ex Mars Hill pastors quietly adjusting resumes to just say “pastored in Seattle area” post blow up. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Abbie came so close to actual solid parenting advice. Close, no but cigar. I agree that active years of mothering are critical in allowing children to fail within a safety net. Learning to clean up after yourself and make a snack are the absolute bare minimum for self sufficiency. It's a shame that she sees the value in the concept but it doesn't extend to anything more complex than "basic life skills". The same concept of failure within a safety net has the most impact when extended to things like friendships outside the family unit, learning to balance a school/home life, and boyfriend/girlfriend relationships. Isolating her children and teaching them to make avocado toast doesn't cut it. 

1179357620_Screenshot_20230213-1624222.thumb.png.4c7b64a2db677fd69f2abd64809d84df.png

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

Abbie came so close to actual solid parenting advice. Close, no but cigar. I agree that active years of mothering are critical in allowing children to fail within a safety net. Learning to clean up after yourself and make a snack are the absolute bare minimum for self sufficiency. It's a shame that she sees the value in the concept but it doesn't extend to anything more complex than "basic life skills". The same concept of failure within a safety net has the most impact when extended to things like friendships outside the family unit, learning to balance a school/home life, and boyfriend/girlfriend relationships. Isolating her children and teaching them to make avocado toast doesn't cut it. 

1179357620_Screenshot_20230213-1624222.thumb.png.4c7b64a2db677fd69f2abd64809d84df.png

I would say she does actually throw her kids to the wolves and walks away at times. The proof is in the millions of times her toddlers weren’t properly supervised and they made huge messes. And when she had her young children cooking with a baby on her hip. She tells herself she’s allowing them to fail safely. But she’s just gotten lucky that there hasn’t been a concussion, broken leg, or severe burn when she leaves her young kids to their own devices. 

• Upvote 16

She did let slip in her Wednesday questions last week when someone asked her directly about injuries, that they've had "a broken nose, a broken jaw, and a smattering of staples and stitches."  She has NEVER to the best of my knowledge mentioned any of those things before.  I knew she was hiding injuries.

• Upvote 11
  • WTF 9
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

She did let slip in her Wednesday questions last week when someone asked her directly about injuries, that they've had "a broken nose, a broken jaw, and a smattering of staples and stitches."  She has NEVER to the best of my knowledge mentioned any of those things before.  I knew she was hiding injuries.

Of course. She pretends like she’s so open and honest on Instagram but it’s all carefully calculated. I guarantee all of those stitches, staples, and broken bones happened when Braggie wasn’t properly supervising her younger kids. She was likely forcing an older kid to be the parent. And when you force children to be parents, injuries happen.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

A broken arm or leg or even the nose I get, but a broken jaw??? That's intense. Bet she blamed the kids entirely.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 15

I am seriously thinking of sending Abbie a full length mirror and requesting her to install it in her bedroom. I’m so tired of the bathroom selfies with the commode in the background-

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I am seriously thinking of sending Abbie a full length mirror and requesting her to install it in her bedroom. I’m so tired of the bathroom selfies with the commode in the background-

Oh I bet she has a fancy full length mirror somewhere in her house. It’s Braggie! She is a shopaholic and loves to play dress up and look at herself. I’m guessing she just likes the lighting in her bathroom. Or she just really likes that toilet? 

• Upvote 1

I listened so you don't have to:  M is for Mama Podcast, episode 5 - "Promoting Peace In Our Homes (Constant Sibling Fighting Doesn't Have To Be The Norm!) 

40 minutes and 49 seconds of Braggie bloviating about kind speech and Ephesians chapter 4 and blah blah blah.  Long, drawn out story about how during a hectic dinner time once, she snapped at Shaun, then Simon snapped at her at the dinner table about how much he hates salad, and she realized oh maybe he did that because he heard me do it, they apologized to each other later and all was well.  Anecdote about how she and her brother fought (literally, physically) all through childhood until they hit about ages 14 and 10.  But now they're the best of friends.  Penny reward system, taking away privileges for infractions, Bible Bible Bible.  

Either she or Ezra read here, or someone else made her aware of how much she says "Um" while she's talking.  She only said it 38 times today, and there are a shit ton of cuts and quick edits in the video that were never there before.  Ezra is editing out the ums. 

BEC:  She is wearing a most unflattering boho top, that is too tight across the chest and has a band around the middle right below the bust.  It makes her bust look huge and makes her look 20 lbs. heavier than she is.  I hope she's not pregnant.  Also, she is filming at a desk with a glass top, so her mirror image is flailing around below her in the frame.  There are four hands waving around every time she uses them to talk, it's super distracting.

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 12

38 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

I listened so you don't have to:  M is for Mama Podcast, episode 5 - "Promoting Peace In Our Homes (Constant Sibling Fighting Doesn't Have To Be The Norm!) 

40 minutes and 49 seconds of Braggie bloviating about kind speech and Ephesians chapter 4 and blah blah blah.  Long, drawn out story about how during a hectic dinner time once, she snapped at Shaun, then Simon snapped at her at the dinner table about how much he hates salad, and she realized oh maybe he did that because he heard me do it, they apologized to each other later and all was well.  Anecdote about how she and her brother fought (literally, physically) all through childhood until they hit about ages 14 and 10.  But now they're the best of friends.  Penny reward system, taking away privileges for infractions, Bible Bible Bible.  

Either she or Ezra read here, or someone else made her aware of how much she says "Um" while she's talking.  She only said it 38 times today, and there are a shit ton of cuts and quick edits in the video that were never there before.  Ezra is editing out the ums. 

BEC:  She is wearing a most unflattering boho top, that is too tight across the chest and has a band around the middle right below the bust.  It makes her bust look huge and makes her look 20 lbs. heavier than she is.  I hope she's not pregnant.  Also, she is filming at a desk with a glass top, so her mirror image is flailing around below her in the frame.  There are four hands waving around every time she uses them to talk, it's super distracting.

My siblings and I also had knock down drag out fights. And now as adults, we get along fine. I think this is actually very common in households with or without Christianity. And my parents rarely ever snapped at each other and were never abusive to each other. Yet me and my siblings fought constantly. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1

Did she say anything about how spanking might similarly model that it’s ok to hit their siblings, or is that “different”?

My kids don’t fight much, there’s the occasional squabble but they’re mostly great friends (9yo included 6yo in everything she did at her bday sleepover despite having 3 friends her own age there to impress). They never ever fight physically. I attribute this 90% to the luck of having kids with personalities that don’t clash and 10% to parenting in a respectful way and encouraging them to see each other as people worthy of respect (e.g. no, she does not have to play with you if she doesn’t want to, we are all in control of our own bodies and it’s her choice if she plays or not). I left their dad 2 years ago so I doubt it’s because of how I speak to him.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

On 2/19/2023 at 6:10 PM, Smee said:

Did she say anything about how spanking might similarly model that it’s ok to hit their siblings, or is that “different”?

My kids don’t fight much, there’s the occasional squabble but they’re mostly great friends (9yo included 6yo in everything she did at her bday sleepover despite having 3 friends her own age there to impress). They never ever fight physically. I attribute this 90% to the luck of having kids with personalities that don’t clash and 10% to parenting in a respectful way and encouraging them to see each other as people worthy of respect (e.g. no, she does not have to play with you if she doesn’t want to, we are all in control of our own bodies and it’s her choice if she plays or not). I left their dad 2 years ago so I doubt it’s because of how I speak to him.

I occasionally fought with my sibling. I think boys fight more, especially when close in age. I have known girls who fought too. Ime families with boys are more likely to fight, even the girls.

What I’ve found is that the close in age siblings fight a lot. While the siblings who are far apart in age do not. My husband never fought with his sister who was 8 years younger. I had real physical fights with my siblings but we are close in age. My boys are 2 year apart and yes they hit. But I tend to break it up. But I’m not looking forward to breaking anything up with they are much bigger. I will be pissed if I have to break anything up when they are teens. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2

Abbie and Shawn visited her publisher in Oregon this week. I don’t know if the publisher flew them out or if they just decided to visit, but it looks like she got red carpet treatment. I don’t know anything about Harvest House: is Abbie their biggest author I wonder or is she there to teach them how to be an instagrammer or ???? 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

Abbie and Shawn visited her publisher in Oregon this week. I don’t know if the publisher flew them out or if they just decided to visit, but it looks like she got red carpet treatment. I don’t know anything about Harvest House: is Abbie their biggest author I wonder or is she there to teach them how to be an instagrammer or ???? 

I think it’s a small Christian publishing company. So if Braggie is one of their best sellers, they probably would treat her like that. And she would eat it up. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 5

Abbie distinctly remembers all the things she didn't like about raising her small children. It reads like a post from a single mother. Why didn't Shaun read stories to the children? Didn't they live upstairs in her parent's home? Is Abbie saying that her mother never sang a song to the kids, never helped out? Because that's how it sounds. Shaun couldn't watch the kids long enough for Abbie to have a hot shower or go get groceries? I think someone is a big fat liar. 

1705379644_Screenshot_20230224-1714002.thumb.png.293e952c0831665fd3a76cbb6b85ec61.png

• Disgust 2
  • Eyeroll 8
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 2

What in the world kind of post is that? Even if it's true, is anyone suggesting she's forgotten? It is 100% a list of how hard it was for her with a little out of context Bible verse to "encourage" her readers at the end. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 8

I'm sure the "intelligent political discussions" are just her kids agreeing with everything she says. I highly doubt they even know anyone with a different perspective.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

When she had five, she wasn’t living at her parents. They were living in the house they sold with all the furniture in it for $500,000. I was just talking about how much I never want to go back to the baby/toddler/preschool years. I actually like the ages my kids are now much better. It’s not something I hide. I’ve talked about this very topic to multiple people. There’s no shame in thinking a certain stage of life is extremely difficult and you don’t want to go back. I feel the same way about high school. And I feel no shame in that as well.

Isn’t it interesting how she currently has twin toddlers and two preschool age kids. Similar to those early years she was complaining about. But nowadays she has her live in maids and Nannies named Simon, Ezra, and Della. It’s so much easier when you force your children into adulthood at young ages. 

• Upvote 13

I know people who have many small kids, 2 sets of twins, no grandparent help and 2 parents working. She has always lived a charmed life. She also seems rather lazy to me. She’s the type who keeps busy doing the tasks she likes while totally avoiding the balance, and it seems someone else (parent, teen, friend, help) does all the stuff she’d rather not. She’s a whiner.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Braggie’s extreme privilege and her refusal to even acknowledge it is what makes me fume. She is so lucky compared to so many other women in the US. She has a husband with a job that pays enough to support a large family. That’s so rare in the US. The majority of jobs in the US do not pay enough to support ten kids. She’s so lucky she has a mother who is willing to constantly help out. Yet she constantly makes herself out to be a martyr. She has to go back 10 years to even remember when things were hard for her. Because now, things are so easy. Thanks to all the help she receives. But she will still find things to be a martyr over.

• Upvote 17

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Braggie’s extreme privilege and her refusal to even acknowledge it is what makes me fume. She is so lucky compared to so many other women in the US. She has a husband with a job that pays enough to support a large family. That’s so rare in the US. The majority of jobs in the US do not pay enough to support ten kids. She’s so lucky she has a mother who is willing to constantly help out. Yet she constantly makes herself out to be a martyr. She has to go back 10 years to even remember when things were hard for her. Because now, things are so easy. Thanks to all the help she receives. But she will still find things to be a martyr over.

Yep. Just like the later years of the Duggars’ and Bateses’ lives. JB’s money still supports most of his adult kids and their families (actively like Anna’s gaggle or passively via the businesses that JB has financed). Most adults do not live that reality. Mega families require FUNDS, LOTS OF FUNDS. Those funds either come from 1 large income, 2 decent incomes or family money. If not, the chances for poverty, neglect…greatly rise.

• Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...

In Abbie's latest post, she plays a game of semantics. "THEE most challenging" doesn't mean the same thing as "the worst" except it kinda does but whatever. 

(There's more slides but I only picked a couple)

Spoiler

518452533_Screenshot_20230308-1631252.png.b11cc2d146bc3a9f5b9f894825f2b0ae.png

1600752095_Screenshot_20230308-1631102.png.891ec47869fda41031e4881a7c8fada0.png1776580615_Screenshot_20230308-1630592.png.ca1385623c4af0a0b5764006d0395646.png

It always seems lost on these types of Christians that children are unique autonomous beings that can't be raised using a one size fits all formula. Evy was probably just being herself but that didn't go with Abbie's program and so she (and Honor and Shiloh) get dubbed as problem children. 

Abbie's kids don't seem to gain any value outside of being her cross to bear until they learn to make her life easier. Just like Jill, the kids who placate mama are the ones that are looked on favorably.

923242279_Screenshot_20230308-1632042.png.b60dd27d85b51060c8437f8724478e2e.png

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 2

Of course she had a hard time with Evy. At that point, she had 3 older kids that weren’t old enough to do any parenting yet, 3 year old twins, and a baby. Her life was hard by her own doing and she likely took it out on Evy because she didn’t act like a perfect child who did everything she said immediately. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

How the sweet hell did that poor kid get the idea to iron a towel so mommy dearest can feel warm when she gets out of the drawn-for-her bath?! I literally have never done that or thought of that, and I am not a low-maintenance kind of gal. She has to have those kids trained to wait on her. That is beyond gross. 🤮

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic