IGNORED

M is for Mama 15

Coconut Flan

I will admit as a young mom I was drawn to the Duggar's show when it first aired, because I was curious and there was something comforting about how they seemed to have it all together and the facade of family life. 

Now of course it seems insane for all the reasons but also because why in the world would anyone think a family of 20 could relate to a family of 2, 4, 6, or even the larger families like 8 people. 

Ten kids is more than twice a regular "big" family. Even if Abbie wasn't a fundie, she wouldn't be able to have a clear grasp on what other parents do, b/c the nature of big family life is so wildly different. I doubt she plays one-on-one games with the kids - I don't see how that would be even reasonably possible unless it was like a rotation of one night a month. There's only so many hours in the day, and she often writes about how full hers are. I imagine she's referring more to family game night or something. 

I also think homeschooling culture has a lot to do with this. A big piece of it is reassuring parents' fears - so telling big family parents not to worry about one-on-one attention is solved by saying - look! you spend so much time together each day as homeschoolers. I think JB and Michelle said that many times on their show. I feel really bad for the next generation of homeschool kids who grew up with influencer families and their photos plastered everywhere. Like the Duggars, when the fall - whatever it is, even just deconstruction - eventually comes, it just will be a forever reminder how your parents didn't just accidentally neglect you. They chose it 1000%, justified it, patted themselves on the back for it, and told everyone else to follow their example. Yikes.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

Her recent IG posts are so cringey.  Ezra dancing with one of the younger girls to demonstrate that....I dunno, how good of a brotherdad he is?  How teenagers can be forced into childcare?

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Abbie chose an unfortunate outfit for her Mother’s conference presentation. That is all.

But, but...don't you know that overalls are RAD, yo?!?  

The Paddington hat is the icing on the cake. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

But, but...don't you know that overalls are RAD, yo?!?  

The Paddington hat is the icing on the cake. 

Maybe if they fit properly- Oh and shouldn’t the presenter dress, at the minimum, on the same level as the audience? 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Maybe if they fit properly- Oh and shouldn’t the presenter dress, at the minimum, on the same level as the audience? 

Please post a pic! I am blocked by the snowflake princess. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

C4F52C70-4EB4-4507-A650-FD6F42C65F25.thumb.png.b16398e9084427703955b8864a344a6e.png

How delightful. Thanks for sharing. It looks like her pants are on backwards and maybe one size too small. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

C4F52C70-4EB4-4507-A650-FD6F42C65F25.thumb.png.b16398e9084427703955b8864a344a6e.png

I am getting a strong "the traveling salesman and the farmer's daughter" vibe from Braggie's outfit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

I am getting a strong "the traveling salesman and the farmer's daughter" vibe from Braggie's outfit. 

I’m getting Hee Haw vibes: 

2882A3E6-CB82-44B4-9CC9-B6AF29DC05BD.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

She looks exactly like what she is - a 40yo desperately trying to look young and hip.  When in reality she is bone-numbingly average and unremarkable.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

Abbie’s version looks like it was designed to be BF friendly. But she didn’t bring the youngest kids, so totally unnecessary. The length/rise of that outfit is wrong, period. Could that possibly have been comfortable to wear all day? I would have been picking my crotch all day.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

OMG, my worlds are colliding. I actually internet-know the woman in this photo. We both adopted kids from the same country. I muted her because she's an arch-conservative antivax 2020 election denier, but the Braggie worship in this story set is the final nail in the coffin. In case you were wondering what kind of women show up to see and take selfies with Braggie...

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1

It’s really unflattering. 🫣

I thought it was interesting how she panned the sanctuary from the back row while the songs were going before her talk. It felt odd…like these ladies are singing and don’t know they will be in your insta account as a way to show off your speaking event. I didn’t like it.

It’s such a relatively benign thing but reminded me how glad I am to be out of that subculture. Abbie has a lot of spiritual lingo and maybe she believes it all but she is basically a salesman. She is working hard to build  her brand to achieve her writer/speaker dream by selling hope to women. She had a high likelihood of success b/c of her privilege. Her husband makes good income so she can afford an instagramworthy house and clothes and the discretionary time to post everything. And then she says in her posts it’s “all Jesus.” 🤢

This is so silly. It’s all Abbie. Maybe she thinks she’s doing it *for Jesus* in her theological worldview, but it’s really sad. I used to believe complementarian family life but the farther away I get the more strange it seems. Jesus talks about feeding the hungry and visiting prisoners and clothing the sick. Why would Jesus empower Abbie to tell white American middle class women how doing domestic tasks for their households is hardnotbad? 

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

On 1/29/2023 at 12:34 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

If a person is really into baths and would probably use it every single day, I might recommend a hot tub.  

I've had a hot tub. While I did love it, a hot tub is a lot more work than a regular tub. You have to test it, balance the chemicals, it's just like a swimming pool in that regard.  So also a lot more money monthly, not just the initial purchase. 

• Upvote 4

Today Abbie would like to push back on commenters who suggested she wasn’t empathetic enough whilst dispensing advice on how it was like when she *only* had three. She wants them to know they are wrong to suggest that. She wants them to know she is right. Also she wants women to seek out experienced moms for *encouragement* not peers who may only offer empathy.

This is also Shiloh’s birthday post. She forgot to record the special birthday morning tradition they do for every kid. Oops.  But gives him a shout out in her scolding post while also hinting that he’s the hardest. 😳

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 2
  • Disgust 3
  • Eyeroll 10
  • WTF 1

On 2/5/2023 at 12:50 PM, SassyPants said:

That's not a jumper. A jumper is a dress. That is overalls, and they look like she's wearing them on backwards.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, neuroticcat said:

Today Abbie would like to push back on commenters who suggested she wasn’t empathetic enough whilst dispensing advice on how it was like when she *only* had three. She wants them to know they are wrong to suggest that. She wants them to know she is right. Also she wants women to seek out experienced moms for *encouragement* not peers who may only offer empathy.

This is also Shiloh’s birthday post. She forgot to record the special birthday morning tradition they do for every kid. Oops.  But gives him a shout out in her scolding post while also hinting that he’s the hardest. 😳

Corrected: She later posted a story with second half of birthday tradition so he wasn’t left out. 

• Upvote 1

She’s literally never apologized for any post. She’s never told her audience that she heard their criticisms and will do better. I hate this about people like Braggie and Jill and Lori. They are never wrong. Anything critical is just the haters. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

That's not a jumper. A jumper is a dress. That is overalls, and they look like she's wearing them on backwards.

Unless you're in the UK in which case a jumper is a sweater.

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

Someone asked her about Jinger’s book and she hurried to explain she’s always thought Gothard was not good and never listened to him. 

I wonder if she would have said that so boldly pre-Jinger’s book given that probably some if her fans are in IBLP

28 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

Someone asked her about Jinger’s book and she hurried to explain she’s always thought Gothard was not good and never listened to him. 

I wonder if she would have said that so boldly pre-Jinger’s book given that probably some if her fans are in IBLP

Braggie is too much of a self absorbed narcissist to follow any man. She’s fundie without the Gothard/Doug Phillips/MacArthur to tell her what to do. What she wants to do is what she says is biblical. No one else will tell her how to be a mother or a Christian. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Didn’t she mentioned that she did have some interaction with Gothard, or something to that effect? Maybe she said that she wasn’t impressed?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic