IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 21: Let's PRIASE the Lord

samurai_sarah

4 hours ago, thoughtful said:

I'm only mentioning that to point out her age - I think that Michaela, their first child, was born in August of 1999.

Gary was born in 1972, so there was about an eight year age gap. And, as we all know, he was saved on July 11, 1999. 🙄 I have no idea if they were married yet at that time.

So Gary, aged 26-27, managed to impregnate and marry (not sure of the order here) a 17, or possibly 18 year old - I'm assuming class of 1999 means she would have been born around 1981, finishing high school in June 1999? Or would she start her final year in Sept 1999? (It's easy in Australia - start final year in Feb, finish in Nov of the same year...) There are so many red flags around this it's not funny.

I know small towns have limited dating options but a 26/27 year old being interested in someone who should still have been finishing high school is dodgy as hell. Even if she'd left at 16 and was a co-worker or something the age gap is still wider than you'd expect for that age.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

The self-righteous have come out, as usual, to comment under Gary's anti-Easter posts, including one guy who wants to call out a specific church:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.67d670955d68cc0bce9a0289a4efd544.png

A compromiser! Oh, no!

It made me curious - perhaps he was upset because it was in his area. Nope - he's in Pennsylvania, not California.

He posted about it on his own Facebook page, as well:

Spoiler

image.png.614adecbbb5391bc86625997fe3679cd.png

His Facebook is a mix of self-righteous bible thumping and cute cats, and sometimes his two worlds collide:

Spoiler

image.png.97fc26ceaa8bd38b566a139702a24eb9.png

People posted to comfort him, including this exchange:

Spoiler

image.png.9bbb194cec3f52e3113b1c86a021f83d.png

Horses in Heaven? I guess he means the ones in Revelation, but it doesn't sound like those were earthly horses who died and went there. If they were, I guess roans, pintos, bays and other colors don't get to go:

11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

Getting the ferrets to help pull me out of this rabbit hole . . .

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

It's strange to me that the whole "no animals in 'heaven'" nonsense is so widespread among people who are really into the literal interpretation of their Bibles, and really skeptical about classical theology.

The whole three-part souls for humans, and two-part for animals is absolutely straight Plato and completely pre-Christian chronologically. It was incorporated into Christian thinking and theology thoroughly and early, even though the Bible is not written from that perspective (especially not the Old Testament).

But for people who blather that 'there's no Trinity in the Bible'; and that the end times must be literal; and all prophesies will come true eventually on the actual ground in the holy land; and that there are no birthdays in the Bible; etc. You'd think they would have noticed that there are dozens of mentions of the restoration of earth's flora and fauna after the judgement (ie 'in heaven').

It's not the slightest bit obscure.

"The lion shall lay down with the lamb" and "Children will safely play with snakes" and "The river will be as high as a horse's bridle" and the trees (lining the river?) and "the tree of life with fruit every season" -- all just off the top of my head. (And probably all just from Isaiah and Revelation, very popular books!)

Now, if that's all poetry (and it possibly is) then maybe there's no pets in heaven and only our special human souls are immortal. But if you're going to be a literalist, what's with disbelief in the "clearly described" restoration of 'animal life in heaven'?

• Upvote 4

I'm fuzzy on the dates, but could Gary's legal troubles as a young man have anything to do with his first wife? Maybe he was allowed to marry her to make it all go away. Or did all that happen way before 1999?

(I seem to remember Gary having some sort of legal charges relating to an innappropriate relationship with a minor; can't find the relevant posts! But of course, it's all "under the blood" now 😡)

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

I'm fuzzy on the dates, but could Gary's legal troubles as a young man have anything to do with his first wife? Maybe he was allowed to marry her to make it all go away. Or did all that happen way before 1999?

(I seem to remember Gary having some sort of legal charges relating to an innappropriate relationship with a minor; can't find the relevant posts! But of course, it's all "under the blood" now 😡)

I thought of that, too. But that was in 1991 - it seems unlikely, unless her family had reason to visit North Carolina (which is where Gary was charged and convicted - I guess the South Carolina attempt at church planting came later). The incident happened when Gary was 18, and he was 19 when convicted, if I did the math right.

https://webapps.doc.state.nc.us/opi/viewoffender.do?method=view&offenderID=0174434&searchLastName=Hawkins&searchFirstName=William&listurl=pagelistoffendersearchresults&listpage=2

We don't really know if it involved a large age difference, or parents of a teen girl trying to break up a romance with a shit like Gary. IIRC, I couldn't find whether the difference in age had to be a certain number of years for a younger defendant at that time (I think it's five years now in NC).

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

Gary continues to be an idiot.

Also, that "I now can live through him" is a bit curious.  You'd think it would be "I now can live because of him" or something of that sort.  You know, Gar, maybe Jesus doesn't want you living through him.  Maybe he'd rather you live your own life and quit blaming him for your stupid choices.  If there was actually an historical figure who was Jesus, I doubt he spit at and slapped children in a place of worship.  (I'm still angry about the treatment of that poor stepdaughter.)

• Upvote 8

Carly, baby, if you ever happen to read here, you have a bunch of really cool people rooting for you! I hope you have a wonderful wedding and marriage ❤️ 

F you Becky and Gary 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 5

I am wondering if “Becky wants to leave Gary” might be a (distant) past occurrence. I didn’t get current tense from the post. 

• Upvote 3

OK, folks, it's a Resurrection Sunday miracle! Gary put the letter s where it was needed! And he didn't even put in needless apostrophes!

Lewis makes sure we know not to say the E word, because goddess.

image.png.d28592a85abd371bc1b52df727a3af9d.png

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 2

In honor of Gary’s dislike of celebrating Easter, I present the Easter egg craft my family did after our age 15 and up Easter egg hunt. I came in 5th this year, sadly. 

we created Harry Potter eggs. I think my favorites are Dobby, done by the 15-year-old, and Hagrid, done by her mom. I did Trelawney, Hermione, and my favorite- Nearly Headless Nick  

8DA5F8E3-2F7E-44F2-97EB-588E33EFE3EE.thumb.jpeg.35801726903b766055f67c4a9a6cd221.jpeg331C7CBB-742A-4B90-8AD8-DE2FE4C822C4.thumb.jpeg.c3ccb1fc924af88190d9523580b0c8ce.jpeg

• Love 18

@Alisamer, I love them! Nick, especially.

In sadder news, it looks like Becky is still gaga enough over Gary to cook for him:

Spoiler

image.png.fe171fe999cc872327c08596189d895d.png

image.png.fc16171c4c9c05f4abad0113e81c81bf.png

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 9

She didn't just cook for him.  She made his favorite food.  I don't know what she's been telling her children but she's still clearly in the marriage.

I also just read that Tupperware is in financial trouble.  They've been trying to sell at stores like Target to improve sales.  There are just a lot of plastic containers out there and I don't think Tupperware will survive.  I wonder what MLM job Becky will try next?

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Xan said:

She didn't just cook for him.  She made his favorite food.  I don't know what she's been telling her children but she's still clearly in the marriage.

I also just read that Tupperware is in financial trouble.  They've been trying to sell at stores like Target to improve sales.  There are just a lot of plastic containers out there and I don't think Tupperware will survive.  I wonder what MLM job Becky will try next?

People will laugh, but I'm serious: Plexus.

• I Agree 6

6 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

People will laugh, but I'm serious: Plexus.

She actually sold Plexus for a while, some years ago. Maybe she will try it again, if Tupperware does, indeed, go out of business.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Alisamer said:

In honor of Gary’s dislike of celebrating Easter, I present the Easter egg craft my family did after our age 15 and up Easter egg hunt. I came in 5th this year, sadly. 

we created Harry Potter eggs. I think my favorites are Dobby, done by the 15-year-old, and Hagrid, done by her mom. I did Trelawney, Hermione, and my favorite- Nearly Headless Nick  

8DA5F8E3-2F7E-44F2-97EB-588E33EFE3EE.thumb.jpeg.35801726903b766055f67c4a9a6cd221.jpeg

Oh I know the spell that summons these decorations

Spoiler

Eggspecto patronum

• Haha 16

18 hours ago, Xan said:

She didn't just cook for him.  She made his favorite food. 

I really wonder about Becky. The push back from her children and family is obviously affecting her so that she's vaguebooking, but she's also marinated in the cult and seems to have a few esteem issues going on.

Mind you if Gary keels over suddenly we can at least speculate that she was in fact getting away from him... by means of his favourite meal to have in heaven, Chinese!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

The push back from her children and family is obviously affecting her so that she's vaguebooking, but she's also marinated in the cult and seems to have a few esteem issues going on.

I actually wonder if the vaguebooking was inspired by something coming from her fellow judgmental rigid fundies for something she did or said.

I'm not saying that it wasn't due to pushback from her family, but I don't know if they would be accusing her of sin, or if she would think they were. I think she feels that her past life was the more sinful one, and that her ex and kids are the ones wallowing in sin now.

Fundies being fundies, it could also just be one of those things they feel they are supposed to post or say now and then.

I have always wondered about Becky's esteem issues. I don't know if she was already an anti-gay bigot before or during her first marriage, and blames her ex for everything. But she may have felt responsible somehow, if she was always so clueless about how sexuality works.

Self-consciousness about her weight, something she did, focusing on the kids, or any number of things could make her feel like she "wasn't enough of a woman to turn him around," or some such nonsense. And it could have led to her being ecstatic that any man would want her, and that trying to make Gary function, even as minimally as he does, and serving him to serve Jesus, is her lot in life.

:confusion-shrug:

Gary says that Jesus is the answer to all your problems. I don't think that would help a student in math class.

image.png.94be991e383c92263a47230db0ea5ed6.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

23 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Oh I know the spell that summons these decorations

Reveal hidden contents

Eggspecto patronum

* ba dum tss*

Gary sucks. I never really did Easter Egg hunts as a kid but I don’t feel like I missed out. I would get chocolate eggs! We never really did the Easter Bunny thing either.

Edited by mango_fandango
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Bro Gary would be absolutely horrified if he saw the add I got reading this thread.

Screenshot_20230412-204519_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

Under Gary's post about the Chinese food that Becky made, we find this:

Screenshot(13621).png.64608eeeec562aa580c476264969181f.png

These are the kind of people who are Gary fans.  Ugh.

• Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 7
  • Thank You 4

59 minutes ago, Xan said:

Under Gary's post about the Chinese food that Becky made, we find this:

Screenshot(13621).png.64608eeeec562aa580c476264969181f.png

These are the kind of people who are Gary fans.  Ugh.

I wonder if that person realizes that, at least here in CA, it is often  Mexicans making your food.  In every type of restaurant. 

• Upvote 7

There's nothing like an articulate, enthusiastic, clearly detailed advertisement to get people interested in some higher education.

image.png.6912afe1903acd8c98eba54fcfd5e477.png

That accidental o at the end makes me want to sing the ad like an old Irish or English folk song.

"Help us share to let others know, o,
Help us share, aye we need the dough, o!"

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9

“We have a online college” doesn’t give me warm fuzzies about the quality of instruction provided at said college. He also doesn’t clarify who the rest of “us” are. 

The extraneous o at the end sends my mind to Gilbert & Sullivan - “I have a song to sing-o/Sing me your song-o.” Fortunately, I love the song, because it will now be running through my head all day. 

• Upvote 5

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic