IGNORED

Awakened Movie/Documentary

Columbia

I just ran across this film on YouTube, and was wondering if anyone here has heard of it before. It seems to be another Return of the Daughters, but with more focus on emotional purity than staying at home. It came out in 2013. There are a few familiar names (Scott and Debra Brown, the Mallys, the Ludys) and some that I’ve never seen before. I can’t find anything about the Crawfords, the family who directed and produced it, online.  

• Thank You 6

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Thanks for this. I thought I knew all the horrible propaganda for the stay-at-home-daughter movement but somehow missed this one with its heavy does of cosplay, interviews with indoctrinated teenage girls, and smug self-righteousness. Just skipped through a bit and just so awful. Will watch in full later.

Not sure but googled some of the credits people. The Neds family - elder ones on staff at this church and they have 13 kids and the Gasque family on staff there too with 9 kids https://www.rockwallbible.org/about/leadership/

Edited by neuroticcat

Looks like it's old enough that some of the girls interviewed in it are grown up and not following this philosophy- at least by their social media profiles. Won't post here b/c that feels creepy but if you google some of the names it seems they are living normal lives. One's linked in says she volunteered at multiple large conferences/retreats, so I'm going to guess this is ATI or VF adjacent maybe? ETA: looks like the Galanek family was/is doing retreats with Christian Home Educators of Colorado, which involves familiar names including Kevin Swanson.

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 1

Aha! And the credits don't fail me. Abbie Burnett (and her siblings)participated in this - and she is now married to John David Duggar.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1

5 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Aha! And the credits don't fail me. Abbie Burnett (and her siblings)participated in this - and she is now married to John David Duggar.

Abbie’s brother John Clay Burnett is in Christian film making. So that checks out. 

• Upvote 1

I couldn't find much else about it. Looks like it's been scrubbed from the internet, and I wonder why it popped back up in July. There's a sad SAHD blog post where a teenager raves about the movie, having watched it four times, but not much else.

• Rufus Bless 1

12 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I couldn't find much else about it. Looks like it's been scrubbed from the internet, and I wonder why it popped back up in July.

I’ve wondered why it seems to have completely disappeared. It won best documentary at the “Christian Worldview Film Festival” in 2014, and has a bunch of big names associated with it, none of whom, to the best of my knowledge, have been directly involved in any scandals. It might be almost 10 years old, but that doesn’t seem like much of a reason to completely pull all info about a film. I wonder if it has to do with the Crawford family that made it. I can’t find anything about them anywhere online. 

• Upvote 1

When I have more bandwidth I will scour wayback machine - haha. 

I'd be hopeful to think it's that they've fully rejected the garbage teaching that is the SAHD movement, but when I googled some of the families listed in the credits, they are still deep in conservative Christian homeschool circles. 

My guess is they don't want the bad PR/embarrassment - kind of like the attitude many now take toward the Return of the Daughters movement OR scandal.

5 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I'd be hopeful to think it's that they've fully rejected the garbage teaching that is the SAHD movement, but when I googled some of the families listed in the credits, they are still deep in conservative Christian homeschool circles. 

My guess is they don't want the bad PR/embarrassment - kind of like the attitude many now take toward the Return of the Daughters movement OR scandal.

I’ve considered the same thing, though this documentary doesn’t hit home on the SAHD message nearly as heavily as ROTD. It barely touches on it in a few places, even though there are plenty of SAHD proponents in it: the Mallys, the Martins, Stacy McDonald, Breezy Brookshire. I wondered if that was also intentional, and I way to branch beyond the typical SAHD audience, because the emotional purity stuff has plenty of draw in mainstream evangelical churches. 

• Upvote 3