IGNORED

Joy & Austin 33: Pregnant Again

Coconut Flan

I’m in my 30s and dealing with my second round of braces trying to fix orthodontic issues. The first question I get asked by every dentist and orthodontist I’ve ever seen is if I sucked my thumb for a long time or still suck it… that’s not what caused my issues, but the thumb suckers and I all end up in this boat: I’ve spent $15k on my teeth in my adult life on top of everything my parents spent on me as a kid. I have had cavities on nearly every tooth, dealt with loose teeth in my 20s, and just started being able to breathe through my nose for the first time in my life thanks to this round of braces moving my teeth away from my sinuses. I am proud to say I have been to the dentist/orthodontist 7 times in my life without crying (I just got to the point that it takes me two hands to count that high last year! I’m getting much braver!) from being berated and made to feel worthless for not taking care of my teeth OR in such immense pain from the dental work. It has only been in the last 5 years that I’ve had a couple of dentists recognize that my dental issues stem from the orthodontic problems, not from a lack of brushing and flossing. 

I commend Joy for taking the thumb sucking seriously. It’s not a harmless habit, unfortunately. It can change the shape of your skull permanently and lead to tooth, breathing, and speech problems. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 18

I sucked my thumb often as a child. Developed blisters and calluses, and my dentist was not pleased, to say the least.

I stopped for a long time but now in my 50s have taken it up again. Let me tell you, the calluses are a lot harder and more embarrassing to try to explain away at 52 than they were at 5... It's also still causing dental issues as the dentist can see the wear pattern on the teeth on the right side of my mouth. If I weren't chewing on my thumb though, I'd just be replacing it with pen caps/pens/straws/endless packs of Twizzlers/anything cylindrical and chewable. I've cut up my tongue and lips on the pen caps, pens, and straws. I've swallowed ink when the pens finally had enough of the chewing. There's only so many Twizzlers you can eat (ask me how I know). The thumb seems the safest bet? 🤷‍♀️ It's definitely a stress response for me, but since I apparently am not going to fix the issue(s) - here we are! 

Anyway - long way of saying it's great Joy is trying to stop the thumb sucking, and hopefully she's also getting behind the "why"  (anything from a stress thing to hey - chewing on stuff is fun!) and teaching him other ways of coping. The elbow pads may not be awesome, but I've seen and heard worse ways of training habits out of kids. They don't look painful, just kind of annoying, so maybe I'm relating them to something like putting socks on a kid's hands when they have chicken pox to stop them from itching. Small time annoyance for a long term benefit? Could be wrong though...

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

4 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I sucked my thumb often as a child. Developed blisters and calluses, and my dentist was not pleased, to say the least.

I stopped for a long time but now in my 50s have taken it up again. Let me tell you, the calluses are a lot harder and more embarrassing to try to explain away at 52 than they were at 5... It's also still causing dental issues as the dentist can see the wear pattern on the teeth on the right side of my mouth. If I weren't chewing on my thumb though, I'd just be replacing it with pen caps/pens/straws/endless packs of Twizzlers/anything cylindrical and chewable. I've cut up my tongue and lips on the pen caps, pens, and straws. I've swallowed ink when the pens finally had enough of the chewing. There's only so many Twizzlers you can eat (ask me how I know). The thumb seems the safest bet? 🤷‍♀️ It's definitely a stress response for me, but since I apparently am not going to fix the issue(s) - here we are! 

What about one of those chew "toys" for kids? My son was given one that was kind of... silicone maybe? Soft-ish, had nubs on it and came on a string so he could wear it around his neck. He was a little confused by it - since the only thing he really CHEWS on his is his stuffy's tail (poor stuffy... his poor tail) but it would be safer then pens etc.

• Upvote 2

Oh man, my daughter has the greatest assortment of silicon teethers. I chew on them a lot to be silly when we're playing and they're very satisfying. Have you seen the straws? They come with all different textures on the outside.

• Upvote 3

Joy and Austin are on a getaway for her birthday. Their big Alaska trip was just a month ago.  At least Austin seems to work between all of their trips. I think this lifestyle will slow down a lot after #3.

• Upvote 8

I never sucked my thumb and neither did  my son. My son didn't even like a pacifier. I remember trying to give it to him a few times. One time, I knew he was hungry but I didn't have the bottle ready. I gave him the pacifier, he sucked on it for a few seconds, stopped as if to say, where is the food?, spit it out and resumed crying. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

My daughter didnt like the dummy (pacifier) at first as a newborn, so I was cheerin that that was one obstacle out of the way (getting rid of it).

Then she found her thumb and I was like instantly no way and gave her a dummy which she then took too instead. My reasoning was it would be easier to get rid of a dummy habit than a thumb habit. 

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I never sucked my thumb and neither did  my son. My son didn't even like a pacifier. I remember trying to give it to him a few times. One time, I knew he was hungry but I didn't have the bottle ready. I gave him the pacifier, he sucked on it for a few seconds, stopped as if to say, where is the food?, spit it out and resumed crying. 

My first was like that. I think he took a pacifier once; if it wasn't food, he didn't bother!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Looks like the Chewelry might be cheaper at Amazon.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Chewelry!! I just almost fell off the bed laughing. I may be too easily amused, but that made my night. I may also have just headed over to Amazon… 

All the things I miss by no longer having a small child. My now 22 year old just informed me he and his girlfriend are going to a Halloween party dressed as Tony Montana and Elvira from Scarface. Minus the cocaine.  (Thanks for that reassurance, kid. Truly…)

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

I think it's a cute play on words too. They can be incredibly helpful for kiddos that have oral stims or other kiddos that find comfort in it. They are very common, even more so after covid. I saw kiddos chewing on their masks and these helped a lot. 

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the chewelry recommendation. My dentist has been trying for years to get me to at least drastically cut down on my gum chewing. I’m curious if I’ll find it helpful!

On 10/27/2022 at 4:22 PM, AnywhereButHere said:

The thumb seems the safest bet? 🤷‍♀️ It's definitely a stress response for me, but since I apparently am not going to fix the issue(s) - here we are! 

My son has the habit of chewing on his tumb or the palm of his hand when he is stressed. And he doesn't stop, not even when it bleeds. (He has an autistic disorder). We bought him biting tubes, they are very durable and especially made for this kind of problem

Screenshot_20221029-222626_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Joy just posted a youtube video with clips of telling family members that she is expecting and JB says this will be grandkid #30 for him... maybe people who are more on top of things than I am can figure out if this confirms any of the suspected births from the social-media-free couples?

• Upvote 9

19 minutes ago, Nutella Ace said:

Joy just posted a youtube video with clips of telling family members that she is expecting and JB says this will be grandkid #30 for him... maybe people who are more on top of things than I am can figure out if this confirms any of the suspected births from the social-media-free couples?

Just saw that video too. 

Josh has 7 kids. John has 2. Jill has 3, Jessa 4, Jinger 2, Joe 3 confirmed (but probably 4), Josiah has 1 confirmed (but probably 2), Joy 2, Jed 1, Jer one on the way. That is 28 + Joy's number three. Still one kid short. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Justin&Claire has one on the way. Or Jinger. 

Edited by xenobia
crappy spelling, bad math :)
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 12

1 hour ago, xenobia said:

Just saw that video too. 

Josh has 7 kids. John has 2. Jill has 3, Jessa 4, Jinger 2, Joe 3 confirmed (but probably 4), Josiah has 1 confirmed (but probably 2), Joy 2, Jed 1, Jer one on the way. That is 28 + Joy's number three. Still one kid short. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Justin&Claire has one on the way. Or Jinger. 

Could Kendra have given birth earlier this year and already be pregnant again?

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 6

36 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Could Kendra have given birth earlier this year and already be pregnant again?

That was my first thought. Although Jinger or Jessa are more likely to be on another baby, just due to not being currently or recently pregnant. But Claire is a good bet. Or JB lost count.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

All possibilities or Jim Bob has so many grandchildren he can't keep track. Absurd to think of even remotely knowing or being engaged with thirty grandchildren.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

That was my first thought. Although Jinger or Jessa are more likely to be on another baby, just due to not being currently or recently pregnant. But Claire is a good bet. Or JB lost count.

If we assume that Joe and Josiah probably has kids that are born this year, I think there are just three options left. If I remember correctly: 

Definitely had kids this year: Jill, John, Jed

Probably had kids this year: Joe, Josiah

Expecting right now: Jeremiah, Joy

Not available due to federal laws: Josh

Could be expecting but haven't announced: Jessa, Jinger, Justin

• Upvote 11

I think Claire is probably pregnant - but isn’t Justin still 19? They  may be waiting until Justin’s birthday ( and no longer a teenager) before announcing it. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I think Claire is probably pregnant - but isn’t Justin still 19? They  may be waiting until Justin’s birthday ( and no longer a teenager) before announcing it. 

I had to check. Justin was born Nov 15'th, 2002. He'll be 20 in about two weeks. So if she's pregnant, he'll be 20 when the child is born. Ben was also just 20 when he and Jessa had Spurgeon. 

Edit: And since I obviously don't have anything better to do, I just had to check how old the new generation of Duggar men/boys were when the first child was born. 

Josh 21

John 29 (he turned 30 just five days later)

Derick 26

Ben 20

Jeremy 30

Joe 23

Josiah 23

Austin 24

Jed 23

Jer (will be 24)

Edited by xenobia
Nothing better to do
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 9