IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

On 12/2/2022 at 5:10 PM, SoSoNosy said:

And if you go back in history a few presidents, you'll read that the Clintons had to be asked to please return a few million dollars' worth of "gifts" that they tried to take with them when they left office.

The Clintons? They were elected officials, Yale Law School graduates. Despite lacking moral character, they had at least earned their gifts. I don't think you can compare them to Kate--who has never earned her own money.

Take a look at what the Cambridges receive during the course of a two-day visit to a foreign country. You won't believe it. Jewelry, artwork, clothing, medals--all for a two day visit!

• Move Along 5
  • Fuck You 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 1

Not to mention, the entire point of their trip was sustainability, and Kate brought a brand new wardrobe with her. 

Tone deaf - completely tone deaf in every way. 

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, viii said:

Not to mention, the entire point of their trip was sustainability, and Kate brought a brand new wardrobe with her. 

Tone deaf - completely tone deaf in every way. 

It's also pretty tone deaf to fly commercial to this event, while taking private planes and helicopters the rest of the year. 

It's also tone deaf to fail to pay inheritance tax during a year that Britons can barely afford to heat their homes. 

• Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, viii said:

Kate brought a brand new wardrobe with her.

Didn't she wear a rented dress for one event?

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, hoipolloi said:

Yes. And the jacket that she wore to the basketball game was worn before.  She also wore black pants with the blue jacket so it would be hard to tell if those new or not because black slacks are black slacks.  I don't know about the rest of her wardrobe.  I imagine someone has broken it down.  Overall, she tends to rewear things frequently. 

• Upvote 9

8 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Yes, to the actual Earthshot ceremony she wore a rented dress, which I think makes it even more ridiculous. She had a couple of re-wear pieces but overall, if you google it broken down, 90% of the wardrobe she brought with her to Boston was brand new and expensive. The rented dress was performative, just like their commercial flight to Boston, when they take a helicopter every weekend to Anmer. It's a complete joke. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TN-peach said:

Overall, she tends to rewear things frequently. 

I don't follow W & K much though I am aware that she does rewear stuff. There still seem to be many new items on a regular basis -- I suppose part of this is supporting the UK fashion industry?

The absolute champion of closet-shopping is Princess Anne

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

I personally don't think Kate rewears a lot of things frequently. In fact, she does it so INfrequently that when she does do it, it becomes a media article. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don’t understand the obsession with celebrity fashion. But, it does seem to me that fashion for someone like Kate is closer to costuming than it is wanting only to be inherently fashionable. 

I still scratch my head over the expense and lack of sustainability. But the decisions seem as much institutional as individual.

Also. Who the heck is planning their foreign trips? Because the Caribbean one went beyond tone deaf and now this. 

1 hour ago, viii said:

I personally don't think Kate rewears a lot of things frequently. In fact, she does it so INfrequently that when she does do it, it becomes a media article. 

Probably depends on your definition of frequently. I dare say, I follow her fashion more than you do and she does rewear quite a bit. She has also exchanged items with her sister and mother in the past.

I‘m a bit surprised about the comparison  between Earthshot & the Carribean tour. Other than on this board, their US trip seems to have been generally well-received.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 6

I'll take your word for it, since you apparently follow her fashion more than I do. But I will say that Kate's definitely of frequent is likely a lot different than mine or yours. If I wore a sweater once a week, that would be frequent. If Kate wears a sweater to a public engagement three times in a year, that's frequent to her. 

I think their Boston trip was very well received, but that doesn't change the fact that her wardrobe was mostly new. Given that the entire point of the trip was to promote sustainability, I think her wardrobe was a massive fail. It blows my mind that some people don't see this. 

• Upvote 1

A quick google of news stories and the first headlines that pop up include phrases such as “unimpressed,” “long 3 days,” “overshadowed,” “controversies,” and “spiraling.” These are mainstream press articles.

But I will say that Kate's definitely of frequent is likely a lot different than mine or yours. If I wore a sweater once a week, that would be frequent. If Kate wears a sweater to a public engagement three times in a year, that's frequent to her. 

I don‘t disagree but you and I don‘t get photographed every time we step out. So for fairness you would have to compare her rewear frequency with other people in the limelight. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I don‘t disagree but you and I don‘t get photographed every time we step out. So for fairness you would have to compare her rewear frequency with other people in the limelight. 

Alrighty then. Steve Jobs. Greta Thurnberg.

/Joking aside. I agree that her clothes are closer to costuming in terms of importance. But I also think it’s fair to consider the messaging, since messaging is what the clothes are about in the first place. And it seems to me there could have been more creativity if she wanted to send a message of sustainability. Although even that is rough because there is no way to hide that her life, in general, is not environmentally friendly.

• Haha 1

I'll take your word for it, since you apparently follow her fashion more than I do. But I will say that Kate's definitely of frequent is likely a lot different than mine or yours. If I wore a sweater once a week, that would be frequent. If Kate wears a sweater to a public engagement three times in a year, that's frequent to her. 

I think their Boston trip was very well received, but that doesn't change the fact that her wardrobe was mostly new. Given that the entire point of the trip was to promote sustainability, I think her wardrobe was a massive fail. It blows my mind that some people don't see this. 

It would have been the perfect opportunity to put together a stunning, versatile affordable  wardrobe of clothing made of organic bamboo, or hemp, sustainably sourced and bought through a fair trade site, and highlight  the designers /artists who made the pieces. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

21 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

True, but that's why I said public engagement. In the royal sphere alone, Kate is on the higher end when it comes to an expensive wardrobe. 

4 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

It would have been the perfect opportunity to put together a stunning, versatile affordable  wardrobe of clothing made of organic bamboo, or hemp, sustainably sourced and bought through a fair trade site, and highlight  the designers /artists who made the pieces. 

I mean, it would have, but that probably would have come across performative as well. If they want Earthshot to be taken seriously, it would help if they actually implanted a lot of what they preach into their daily lives. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, TN-peach said:

Overall, she tends to rewear things frequently. 

Well, she's just a humble, ordinary mom then. Worth a billion dollars, of course.

Doesn't everyone re-wear their clothes, or am I missing something? Is this the best that can be said of Kate?

• Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 3

19 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

🤣 Sure, honey, you keep telling that to yourself because you might actually believe it. 

Netflix gave them millions. Why would they have given up control? 

I understand, though, that you want H&M to be the bad guys, so let's assume it was all up to them. I can't see why it's such a terrible thing to release a trailer--a trailer!--this week.

Does William want to save the earth, or does he want everyone to watch him saving the earth.? Why does he need all headlines to be about him? Sounds pretty egomaniacal. The Earthshot prize will go on whether or not he's on the cover of Time, so what does he care about a trailer? Sounds like he wanted publicicty more than anything else.

I also think it's pretty funny they flew a green carpet to Boston, so that they'd look really "green". What was the carbon footprint of that little gesture? It's all smoke.

Someone who flies private helicopters everywhere will never have any cred as an environmentalist.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1

I'm afraid William's Earthshot prize  won't get him the respect he craves. When you fly everywhere on a private helicopter, you have no standing as an environmentalist. Did he think people would be fooled because he takes a handful of commercial flights when he wants to look "green" or "like a regular guy."?

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2
  • Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Does William want to save the earth, or does he want everyone to watch him saving the earth.?

Someone who flies private helicopters everywhere will never have any cred as an environmentalist.

I think we all know the answer to that. 

Also - ding ding ding. I’m surprised more people aren’t calling Will and Kate out for their performative actions this week. 

• Downvote 1

I'll bite.  I think Will and Kate and insufferably dull.  And therefore I pay very little heed to them.  

I am not at all surprised that their actions are performative (especially when it comes to the environment).  All summits and environmental awards ceremonies are.  They are happy little back-pat places for the ultra wealthy to feel good about themselves.  I never think of them as environmentalists, and therefore am unsurprised when they aren't.  I think all events like that are eye-roll worthy and pointless.  Rich people being full of shit about the environment, irritating (infuriating if I think too long about it), but completely par for the course.  The hypocrisy is staggering, as usual.  

I have more respect for Anne and Charles as giving a little more care to the environment.  But Will and Kate strike me as nothing more than empty, pretty people doing what is expected of them in public, but nothing more substantial otherwise.  Like I said, insufferably dull.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, treehugger said:

I'll bite.  I think Will and Kate and insufferably dull.  And therefore I pay very little heed to them.  

I am not at all surprised that their actions are performative (especially when it comes to the environment).  All summits and environmental awards ceremonies are.  They are happy little back-pat places for the ultra wealthy to feel good about themselves.  I never think of them as environmentalists, and therefore am unsurprised when they aren't.  I think all events like that are eye-roll worthy and pointless.  Rich people being full of shit about the environment, irritating (infuriating if I think too long about it), but completely par for the course.  The hypocrisy is staggering, as usual.  

I have more respect for Anne and Charles as giving a little more care to the environment.  But Will and Kate strike me as nothing more than empty, pretty people doing what is expected of them in public, but nothing more substantial otherwise.  Like I said, insufferably dull.  

A slew of private planes fly into the Cop environmental conference each year. Charles included. So yes, it's just a lot of self-congratulatory back-patting.

If I could ask Charles a questions, it would be, "If you had flown commercial for the last 50 years, what would the effect be on the environment?"

I can understand if William developed a love for the environment (and killing small birds) during his childhood summers in Balmoral. A great way to foster the same love in British youth would be to use Balmoral as a summer camp for young people. However, if it's kept as an enclave for a handful of immensely rich people, you can't expect people to share his feelings. They haven't ridden a horse through miles of fields in rural Scotland!

I suspect Wills and Kate looked at a list of trending hot issues and chose environmentalism. They are so used to people  ignoring royal hypocrisy that they thought it was OK to keep flying their very convenient private helicopters. They decided to focus on environmentalism, since they both probably "love the country" and because it's relatively uncontroversial. 

• Downvote 6

However small you may deem Earthshot‘s contribution to the environmental movement, it‘s still a better use of one‘s time than whining about how unfair everyone has been for the eleventieth time in a „documentary“ that‘s already been proven to be misleading at best (maybe even full of lies) before it‘s even out. 

• Upvote 10

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic