IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

10 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I imagine they have so much stuff there's just no way anybody can process it all or even a portion. Who would track it? Keep it secure? Get funding? Etc.

There's times when Lucy Worsley goes to these libraries or depositories of documents and there's row after row/shelf after shelf of old papers and stuff.

And that's the stuff somebody felt the need to preserve in a formal manner.

One could spend a lifetime, probably, just in ONE of their properties, investigating and cataloguing everything that's there.

*sigh* I missed my calling. 😓😆

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I feel I could easily get lost in my own family rabbit hole...and there's very little to dig into. But one thing leads to another. 

Vaguely related: rewatched Rome series the other day. Which made we read Wikipedia on mark Antony  and it's gobsmacking to me how much we know about various individual Roman people from 2000 years ago. People do make a whole life's study of 1 ancient Roman person.

A relatively modern British royal provides an insane amount of documents, photos, and other info.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 3:35 AM, prayawaythefundie said:

Are phones usually allowed in class in the UK? Because here they need to stay in their owner‘s bag and be on mute. If I catch a pupil with their phone I can take it and return it to their parents when they come in. I usually don‘t do that.

Good point. I did a little research. It looks like next year, George's classmates will be able to bring laptops to school. Laptops have webcams. Classmates will  be able to take photos of George quite easily, if they want to. 

Years 5-8 may bring in laptops for their learning. No mobile devices are allowed in school. Pupils on the London bus may use a device that is NOT internet enabled. On arrival at school, this should be taken to reception and left there for safekeeping.

On the surface, it seems the school doesn't allow mobile devices. However, another Lambrook manual, says kids cannot carry their phones on school trips.  Which implies they are allowed at other times. 

https://www.lambrookschool.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/14c-Educational-Visits-Policy.pdf

Both manuals are from 2022. 

So it's hard to say.  It wouldn't surprise me if  Lambrook's oldest students (aged 11-13) have some type of electronic device, if only so their parents can reach them.   Our middle school also claimed to have a total ban on devices, but it couldn't really be enforced. It's very hard to check adolescents' pockets every day. 

A lot has changed since Wills and Harry went to school, specifically, the invention of smart phones, Apple watches, sophisticated electronic games, and the use of personal laptops in classroom instruction.. I am sure it's something the Palace worries about--a bunch of 11-year olds with webcams in a room all day with Prince George.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

• 3 weeks later...

A new study shows that having a royal patron has little or no impact on a charity's income.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/having-a-royal-patron-doesnt-pay-for-charities-033bfwvbk?region=global

25% of the royals' "work" involves their charities. Yet it doesn't seem to help the charities at all.

In addition, 3/4 of the charities that have a royal patron did not get a single royal engagement with them in 2019.

The UK doesn't have citizens who give the most to charity. Far from it. The most generous nations do not have monarchies or royal patrons.

Basically, charitable events are just PR opportunities for the British royal family.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

William and Kate visited a mental health center for young people today. Their Royal Foundation of the Prince and Pincess of Wales will give more than 300,000 pounds to that center. 

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 6

On 11/3/2022 at 8:19 AM, prayawaythefundie said:

William and Kate visited a mental health center for young people today. Their Royal Foundation of the Prince and Pincess of Wales will give more than 300,000 pounds to that center. 

Wills is worth about $1.3 billion dollars.  The contribution he made is 0.02% of his net worth.

Most of his vast wealth comes from the 1 billion he inherited when the queen died. He doesn't have to pay any tax on that billion dollar inheritance.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 3

On 10/4/2022 at 3:45 PM, Loveday said:

I've mentioned this before in another thread somewhere, but the one thing I'd want to do if I suddenly found myself royal is disappear for awhile into some of the palaces and castles and explore their nooks and crannies. Especially the libraries and attics. Maybe take Lucy Worsley with me; as chief curator of Historic Royal Palaces she has my dream job and she'd be a lot of fun to wander around some of these places with! 

There are also a vast number of valuable things. Each time a royal marries or has a birthday, they get valuable gifts from around the world. Vastly expensive things. For example, when there's a marriage of senior royals, they receive many entire kitchens, from manufacturers who are hoping they can advertise that their stuff is "used by the royals."

Each time they visit a place, or have visitors, they are given china, jewelry, art--all extremely expensive.  Nobody wants to give a cheap item to the royals. As a result, they have a hard time storing all these things. 

It strikes me as funny, then, when they object to people making money off the royal name. For example, they got pissed at the designers of Diana's dress for promoting their royal connection. With all the money and stuff the royals have, why do they care if people make a few bucks from publicity?

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Wills is worth about $1.3 billion dollars.  The contribution he made is 0.02% of his net worth.

Most of his vast wealth comes from the 1 billion he inherited when the queen died. He doesn't have to pay any tax on that billion dollar inheritance.

It's not like they handed over a few truckloads of cash; he inherited the duchy of Cornwall, land and stuff like that, and his management of it is overseen.

Try to keep your statements a little less outrageous, mkay?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

On 11/3/2022 at 8:19 AM, prayawaythefundie said:

Wills and Kate charge their expenses to the Royal Foundation when they travel for things like the Earthshot prize. They submit their expenses to this charity for repayment. This is hard to believe, since the Cambridges are worth over a billion dollars. You wouldn't think they'd need to take money from their own charity.

From the Royal Foundation's annual report for 2021:

During the year, The Royal Foundation purchased £21,166 of services from The Royal Household relating to premises costs, recharges of overseas tour costs and medical insurance for staff (2020: £20,833 relating to communications, recharges of tour costs and medical costs). 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1

Hey, I own my own company, and if I traveled to a convention or something like that, I'd charge it back, too.  That's just normal accounting.  Oh, and I'm not worth $1b, but I'm well off.  As much traveling as they are doing for all these causes, they could easily use up what liquid assets they had if they paid for it themselves.  Again, they don't have a handy back room full of pound notes.

• Upvote 12

On 11/7/2022 at 3:05 PM, SoSoNosy said:

Hey, I own my own company, and if I traveled to a convention or something like that, I'd charge it back, too.

This is a charity, not a company.  A charity created to make the royals look good. 

If I had a billion dollars, I would not take money from a charity. 

Edited by Jackie3

On 11/6/2022 at 11:08 AM, Jackie3 said:

There are also a vast number of valuable things. Each time a royal marries or has a birthday, they get valuable gifts from around the world. Vastly expensive things. For example, when there's a marriage of senior royals, they receive many entire kitchens, from manufacturers who are hoping they can advertise that their stuff is "used by the royals."

Each time they visit a place, or have visitors, they are given china, jewelry, art--all extremely expensive.  Nobody wants to give a cheap item to the royals. As a result, they have a hard time storing all these things. 

It strikes me as funny, then, when they object to people making money off the royal name. For example, they got pissed at the designers of Diana's dress for promoting their royal connection. With all the money and stuff the royals have, why do they care if people make a few bucks from publicity?

Yes. Catherine was given a loaf of bread at the center for Ukrainian refugees yesterday. As I understand it, bread from a refugee center sells for around 30,000 pounds and even more on the black market. So glad you're here to uncover this grift. 

• Haha 12

On 11/18/2022 at 6:45 PM, louisa05 said:

Yes. Catherine was given a loaf of bread at the center for Ukrainian refugees yesterday. As I understand it, bread from a refugee center sells for around 30,000 pounds and even more on the black market. So glad you're here to uncover this grift. 

I don't think the royals advertise the costly gifts they receive. I discovered it by reading accounts of royal servants. Apparently, it's hard to store all the gifts they receive.

They allow gifts of bread to reach the media. However--"The president gave the Duchess a ruby and diamond necklace worth 400,000 pounds"--that would not play well in the press.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ah!  The Inside Source!  The former royal servants, many of whom would have NO reason to sell their "experiences" behind the Royal Curtain.  Yes, absolutely trustworthy information for sure.

• Haha 5
  • Love 1

Free Jingerites, on today's episode of @Jackie3 Bloviates About Things She Knows Nothing About, the featured topic is Diplomatic Gifts. Join us to learn that Jackie has never heard of this centuries old tradition and has no idea that all of them are disclosed, catalogued and legally regulated in every single Western Democracy including the UK. 

What is a diplomatic gift and why are they given? Let the U.S. State Department clue you in, so you can be smarter than Jackie: https://diplomacy.state.gov/why-do-diplomats-give-gifts/

Do Royal family members hide them in secret places only accessed by those very special servants of the household who disclose the scandal only to the likes of our very own Jackie? Or are they catalogued and listed for the public? Behold the list of gifts given to the now King and Queen from 2003-2019 and posted on their website, perhaps for the convenience of tattling servants? Or perhaps because they are required to publicly disclose them?? : https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/gift-lists

And, lastly, are there official rules regarding receiving gifts or, as Jackie so knowingly informs us, do family members take any and all gifts and hide them away so the public has no idea they even receive them? Let's peruse the official "Gifts Policy" in effect for family members, updated in 2003 to see the answer: https://www.royal.uk/gift-policy-2003

Once we peruse all these links, we will learn that, yet again, our dear Jackie is spewing nonsense to fit her own hateful agenda. Gifts from the public are not to be accepted at all unless they are very small. Gifts from individuals who live abroad are to be returned regardless of value. All official gifts, for example from foreign leaders such as Jackie claimed family members are hiding, are to be reported and are not the property of the recipient. And lists of all gifts given to them are published and available to the public annually. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 8
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

all of them are disclosed, catalogued and legally regulated in every single Western Democracy including the UK.[*]

*Except during 45's administration in the US.

The State Department’s inspector general is reportedly investigating the disappearance of at last 20 types of items that had been in the agency’s gift vault, with dozens of individual items or more unaccounted for. 

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

On 11/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, SoSoNosy said:

Ah!  The Inside Source!  The former royal servants, many of whom would have NO reason to sell their "experiences" behind the Royal Curtain.  Yes, absolutely trustworthy information for sure.

You are right. Let's consult the Daily Mail instead. Or posters on FJ. They'll know much more.

It makes sense that these highly connected, influential titled people would be receiving costly gifts from people/countries who want to be on their good side.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Downvote 1

On 11/21/2022 at 7:31 PM, louisa05 said:

Jackie claimed family members are hiding, are to be reported and are not the property of the recipient. And lists of all gifts given to them are published and available to the public annually. 

LOL, they aren't hiding them (where'd you get that idea?). They also aren't advertising them.

On a 4 day trip to Pakistan, the Cambridges received 44 gifts. Jewlery, clothing, carpets, a pistol, lamps, plates, books, traditional clothing. Here's the list:

https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/files/media/the_duke_and_duchess_of_cambridge_-_pakistan_october_2019.pdf

Where do you store 44 gifts from a single trip?

On a 10 day trip to Africa, Harry and Meghan received around 80 gifts. IT was the same sort of haul--jewelry, books, silks, medals, traditional clothing. 

Everywhere Kate and Wills go, they are given fantastic gifts for the little Cambridges. Here's the gifts the kids were given from a one-day trip their parents took: This is just a one-day trip.

Five activity books, soft toys, two travel journals, three medals, two model kits, an airport play set and airplane figurine. St John Ambulance Station and Ambulance play set

As I said earlier, it is hard for the royals to store all this stuff.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2

On 11/6/2022 at 7:15 PM, SoSoNosy said:

It's not like they handed over a few truckloads of cash; he inherited the duchy of Cornwall, land and stuff like that, and his management of it is overseen.

Try to keep your statements a little less outrageous, mkay?

He inherited an asset (the Duchy) worth about a billion. That sounds pretty good to me.

• Move Along 2

Oh well finally the royals are relatable.  I also don't have enough storage space for all my stuff.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12

On 11/27/2022 at 1:11 PM, Jackie3 said:

LOL, they aren't hiding them (where'd you get that idea?). They also aren't advertising them.

On a 4 day trip to Pakistan, the Cambridges received 44 gifts. Jewlery, clothing, carpets, a pistol, lamps, plates, books, traditional clothing. Here's the list:

https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/files/media/the_duke_and_duchess_of_cambridge_-_pakistan_october_2019.pdf

Where do you store 44 gifts from a single trip?

On a 10 day trip to Africa, Harry and Meghan received around 80 gifts. IT was the same sort of haul--jewelry, books, silks, medals, traditional clothing. 

Everywhere Kate and Wills go, they are given fantastic gifts for the little Cambridges. Here's the gifts the kids were given from a one-day trip their parents took: This is just a one-day trip.

As I said earlier, it is hard for the royals to store all this stuff.

The Royal Collection stores all official gifts. The collection is periodically reviewed to determine which items should be kept, loaned for display (for example, a recent jewelry exhibition in London displayed jewelry given to previous Queens, most notably, Victoria) or given to charity. Low cost gifts may be used or displayed by the person they were given to (for example, a stuffie given for a child family member may be retained and used by the child). Perishable gifts such as food may be used but if they will not be used by the recipeient before going bad, they are given to staff or charity. Any official gift (from a foreign government for example) is immediately given to the Monarch's office for cataloging and transfer to the Royal Collection. 

This is much like official gifts given to the President and First Lady in the United States. They are immediately given to the National Archives. When the President leaves office, they can be loaned for display in a Presidential Library but the National Archive retains ownership. 

Your take on this is either incredibly stupid or incredibly naive or perhaps just one more way to be combative and insulting to people you do not know and dislike merely for their position. I can't decide which. I'm leaning toward the first with a healthy dose of the last. 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

And if you go back in history a few presidents, you'll read that the Clintons had to be asked to please return a few million dollars' worth of "gifts" that they tried to take with them when they left office.

• Upvote 3

On 12/1/2022 at 3:07 PM, AmazonGrace said:

Oh well finally the royals are relatable.  I also don't have enough storage space for all my stuff.

LOL, it's true! Did you see the pile of stuff --jewelry, clothing, books, sculptures, art--they received on only a two-day trip? Astounding.

• Fuck You 1

On 12/2/2022 at 8:10 PM, SoSoNosy said:

And if you go back in history a few presidents, you'll read that the Clintons had to be asked to please return a few million dollars' worth of "gifts" that they tried to take with them when they left office.

Got a cite for that??

8 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

Got a cite for that??

I am sure I can find one.  Not right now, because church, but I'll get back with you.

• Upvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic