IGNORED

Denmark

tabitha2

While there might be lots of emotions, present and past, at play I don’t get it either. I get making clear that you are not supportive of a decision that affects you or your children and you have no say in it or that you are displeased with HOW it’s done. But there are better ways to say it when you want to make a public point - QM didn’t have to make a big public announcement either. Or could have made it closer to New Years, when it actually takes effect. I think many are surprised by her statement as it seems rushed (I wonder if there were more Raffle jobs down the line and she decided to put an end to it). They could just made a short statement that they are saddened by the decision as they felt honoured to carry those titles and that they were hit and irritated by the announcement as they thought they were still discussing a loss of titles at 25. But whatever, they were happy to fill those titles as long as it lasted. Bla bla. No poorly wording about identity loss and having only 5 days to tell the children - which sounded so weird as the statements felt more as if the children weren’t prepared at all. The whole shebang felt off, as if they wanted to pressure her into taking it back and I am not sure that was the intention (if so- they should take a note from H&M- strongarming might backfire spectacularly). The whole emotional load should have been addressed behind close doors.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

• 2 months later...

Today the stripping of the titles goes into effect. In either a petty or dumb move, the royal website updated with the new titles around Christmas and then quickly reverted back. Now that it’s January 1st, the website has been updated again to reflect the titles are gone. 

Joachim and fam are still upset (and apparently moving to the US) and the queen still apparently doesn’t give a damn. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, viii said:

Joachim and fam are still upset (and apparently moving to the US) and the queen still apparently doesn’t give a damn. 

If they move to the US, they'll be courted by high society here. Not because of anything they've accomplished, but because they were once royalty. It's similar to Harry and Meghan. They'll have options because of the titles they used to hold. 

• Downvote 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 1

Not really. European  Royals visit all the time with no fanfare whatsoever. The Queen of the Netherlands and her eldest daughter did some NY shopping and no one cared. 

• Upvote 4

I think in the US, majority of citizens would be hard pressed to point out any royalty that isn’t BRF. Majority of the European royal families aren’t discussed in North America. 

• Upvote 9

Right? If it’s not Britain and Even then other than Charles, Camilla and the 4 big names Most  Americans either don’t know or don’t care or both about other royalties. Hell. Find an average American who can point to Luxembourg on a map I dare you  

• Upvote 1

To be fair, Luxembourg is kinda hard to find on a map because it‘s so small. 😊

I agree that being royalty won‘t create as much attention in the US as it would in Europe but like @Jackie3 surprisingly pointed out, being (British) royalty dropouts and talking about it can be your sole ticket to attention and money.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Not really. European  Royals visit all the time with no fanfare whatsoever. The Queen of the Netherlands and her eldest daughter did some NY shopping and no one cared. 

Yeah, I think so, too. Australian (and to some extend NZ) media for example only pays a significant amount of attention to the Danish royal family because the Danish crown princess is a native Tasmanian (or so I believe). But aside from the BRF, other European royal families aren’t often talked about in the English speaking world (at least to my knowledge). There might be a few photos of royal weddings here and there, but overall, the interest in say the Swedes or Norwegians is limited. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

8 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Of course no one cares. I took a brief survey and couldn't find many people who could even name Elizabeth's husband. Let alone the Danish royalty!

Nonetheless, there will be people in NYC and DC who will be clamoring to have royalty at their dinner parties. It's not the sort of thing reported on the cover page of People, though. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 2

Princess Madeline of Sweden and her family live in the US almost full time and the press mostly leave them alone. When she returns to Sweden for official family business, she is of course covered. And she periodically releases pictures of the children to the media, but it’s not like there are pictures of them every time they go to Costco. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, KnittingOwl said:

Princess Madeline of Sweden and her family live in the US almost full time and the press mostly leave them alone. When she returns to Sweden for official family business, she is of course covered. And she periodically releases pictures of the children to the media, but it’s not like there are pictures of them every time they go to Costco. 

Of course the press leave them alone. Most people don't even know their names, let alone care what they do.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 2
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Of course the press leave them alone. Most people don't even know their names, let alone care what they do.

They are not pushing themselves out into the media and whining to Oprah. That is why they are left alone.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

Real talk America is Princess and youth obsessed and there  are several young and very  stunning  heiresses apparent  in Europe right now. If any of them wanted for inexplicable reasons to impress  or dazzle America and the American press they would be all over the news here.  I bet  Princess Catharina Amalia could talk about her safety concerns and the restricted life she has to lead now and it would  be a big story.

• Bless Your Heart 1

10 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

And how is that different than Prince Joachim?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Yeah, I think so, too. Australian (and to some extend NZ) media for example only pays a significant amount of attention to the Danish royal family because the Danish crown princess is a native Tasmanian (or so I believe). But aside from the BRF, other European royal families aren’t often talked about in the English speaking world (at least to my knowledge). There might be a few photos of royal weddings here and there, but overall, the interest in say the Swedes or Norwegians is limited. 

I vote more Norwegian Royal Family (kind of like “more cowbell”). They are somewhat interesting—from role in resistance during WW2, integration of commoners by marriage, the crown prince marrying a woman who (gasp) already had a child prior to marriage, divorce and suicide of ex-husband of then princess, and princess who is no longer a working Royal because of business deals with her now-boyfriend who is a self-proclaimed shaman.

On a serious note, the suicide of Ari Behn was very tragic and the family handled it with love and grace. They are a family that sometimes does put each other first. 

Edited by noseybutt
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 3

@noseybutt I recommend you find and watch the the PBS series Atlantic Crossing from a few years ago. It’s mainly about the Current Kings mother  Princess Martha of Sweden and her relationship with Roosevelt during WW2 when she and her children had to evacuate and lived in the WH. 

• Thank You 1

9 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

They are not pushing themselves out into the media and whining to Oprah. That is why they are left alone.

Keep whining, Harry! Your abusers want you to be silent. 

I think if someone offered the Danish royals $100 million to share their story of abuse, they'd start whining too.

The more the Sussex's whine, the more they help others with toxic families. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1

I might start whining if someone offered me 100 million dollars to do so and I didn't have a toxic family :P

Sorry mom, gonna give you a cut.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

On 1/3/2023 at 8:20 PM, Jackie3 said:

I think if someone offered the Danish royals $100 million to share their story of abuse, they'd start whining too.

To be fair, Joachim, Alexandra, Marie and Nicholai have all whined to the press. For free. 

• Haha 8

I think it is important to distinguish between whining about things and bringing awareness.  Whining is juvenile and entitled and pointless. It doesn't help anyone and it doesn't do any good.  Bringing awareness is different.  One can show the disfunction with something, but it has to be followed with concrete action, for it to do any good.  There needs to be examples of ways to improve and support for victims for it to be helpful.  Just whining isn't helpful.  That's just irritating, especially when it comes from privileged and entitled people.  

• Upvote 5

I would say majority of their complaints are whining. 

“My daughter is now being bullied because she’s no longer a princess!!”

GUUUUUURL. Read the room in this economy. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, treehugger said:

I think it is important to distinguish between whining about things and bringing awareness.  Whining is juvenile and entitled and pointless. It doesn't help anyone and it doesn't do any good.  Bringing awareness is different.  One can show the disfunction with something, but it has to be followed with concrete action, for it to do any good.  There needs to be examples of ways to improve and support for victims for it to be helpful.  Just whining isn't helpful.  That's just irritating, especially when it comes from privileged and entitled people.  

This a good explanation of why Harry and Meghan are bringing awareness to things like domestic abuse, racism, and bullying.  Frankly, I don't know many people who give back as much as they do.

Harry's book will help millions in similar situations, with a bullying older brother or neglectful father. 

• Fuck You 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1

• 2 months later...

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie are out! He is taking up a post at the Danish Embassy in DC in December and Bringing  the two youngest children with. Hopefully he is happier. 

Meanwhile his Cousin Princess Madeline of Sweden and family are decamping back to Sweden to live in Mom and Dads backyard AKA  a Pad in the Royal Stables literally. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4