IGNORED

Reich Wingers Throw Fit Over Pop Star Lizzo Playing a Crystal Flute

47of74

I saw earlier today some reich wingers were bitching about a flute.  Well, it was because pop star Lizzo played a 200 year old Crystal Flute once owned by James Madison.  Yeah, they were being as vile as usual.

Right-wing media and figures had a meltdown over Grammy Award-winning musician Lizzo playing James Madison’s crystal flute this week, attacking the singer personally and claiming “woke” elites organized the performance to undermine America’s Founding Fathers. For example, The Daily Wire’s Matt Walsh went as far as to call Lizzo a “twerking degenerate” and a “morbidly obese weirdo in a thong,” alleging that the performance was “a form of racial retribution” and a “purposeful act of degradation.” 

Lizzo, who is also a classically trained flutist, was invited by the Library of Congress to visit its collection of 1,700 flutes while she was on tour in Washington, D.C. After allowing her to play a crystal flute previously owned by Madison, the fourth president of the United States, the library agreed Lizzo could perform with it during her show later in the week. On September 27, with supervision from Library staff and the Capitol Police, Lizzo briefly became the first person in history to actually perform with the flute.

Lizzo’s performance represented a symbolic moment as well. Madison, the former owner of the flute, enslaved over 100 people on his Virginia plantation. Notably, the flute was lent to Lizzo by the 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden, the first woman and the first African American to lead the national library.

Right-wing media ignored this history and context for Lizzo’s groundbreaking performance, however, and responded instead with hysterical and baseless attacks.

It's disgusting that reich wing losers like Shapiro and Matt Walsh are trashing Lizzo's performance.  They should go fornicate themselves.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

10 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Well, it was because pop star Lizzo played a 200 year old Crystal Flute once owned by James Madison.

My daughter played the flute in high school, so I was interested when this subject came up a few days ago.  There are some video clips of Lizzo playing a variety of flutes at the Library of Congress.  I recommend them.  She’s so talented.  I didn’t know about Lizzo being classically trained.  Very impressive.  And I don’t usually cuss, but fornicate those reich wingers!  💩 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

I played the flute a few years in school. I will say that the flute is hard. So the fact that she does so well shows she’s practiced a lot and worked hard. 

• Upvote 4

I played through high school. Lizzo is an extremely accomplished flautist, and when I hear her play, I really wish I hadn't stopped playing myself. Her tone is just lovely and strong, and I love that she includes the flute in her music. Inviting her to the Library of Congress to see their flute collection was a great PR move and anyone bitching about her playing the instrument does not having any actually appreciation for artistry. 

• Upvote 6

I assume they are all bitching about her playing the flute, not her actual skill? What an awful way to live life, not being able to appreciate abilities because the person displaying them is not white/male/Christian/straight/right wing. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

I will admit that I am a big Lizzo fan and have seen her a number of times in concert. It’s not my type of music but it’s very catchy and she puts on a great show! And I love her positivity. She shows up. When she was called out for using the word “spaz” by a disability activist, she re-recorded her song and did not get defensive. She walks the walk. But also?

fuck those dudes. She’s a trained flautist and Carla invited her. The extended footage of her at the library of congress was amazing. Some of the dumb responses have been like “should everyone now be able to play it?” Every Grammy winning best selling superstar classically trained BIPOC flautist? Sure. 

• Upvote 11

Yet another moment when people would be fawning over the history-making flautist if she were a thin white person. They wouldn’t be able to contain their excitement at someone having the privilege of playing a 200 year old flute.

• Upvote 13

I especially love this story because of how Carla Hayden, first female AND first African American library of congress… official… reached out to Lizzo via Twitter and Lizzo answered back and then it happened. It was a black woman reaching out to a black woman, both superstars in their own right. It was a completely black woman run operation and dang do we need more of those. (“Good as Hell” is one of Lizzo’s biggest hits.)

Spoiler

3D09D7D7-DE58-4663-9DE1-FD9A18D0D39F.thumb.png.92d00ae754d71e0cdfa106b67f760adf.pngCB914B72-BA22-4ED3-AC00-DB3B49D28FF1.thumb.png.5ffb2875ad337699b406a7da85772ac7.png

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

Rolling Stone had this to say about the reich wingers being bent out of shape about Lizzo playing the flute

It shouldn’t come as a shock that the MAGA crowd is upset that a Black, body-positive pop star was given exclusive access to a piece of American history, and though the cruelty of their comments is yet another distressing sign of a right-wing that is increasingly animated by hatred, it’s also pretty damn hilarious that they’re writing about a novelty wind instrument like it’s the Declaration of Independence.

The tweets from triggered conservatives about Lizzo playing a 200-year-old flute they almost certainly weren’t even aware of before this week have indeed been entertaining, but the best comment about the incident came from Lizzo herself. “I just twerked and played James Madison’s crystal flute from the 1800s,” she proclaimed on Tuesday. “We just made history tonight.”

• Upvote 8

It's disgusting how right wingers are basically coming right out and saying that Lizzo playing this flute is somehow "desecration". 

Somebody like Boebert or MTG could go in there and slobber all over the thing and they'd be all "so historic!" but because she's black, it's somehow desecration. They are idiots.

Lizzo is awesome, her flute playing was awesome, and it's maddening that what would be no news at all really or just a fluff piece if it was some random thin white celebrity is now a big deal because it's Lizzo. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Lizzo is awesome, her flute playing was awesome, and it's maddening that what would be no news at all really or just a fluff piece if it was some random thin white celebrity is now a big deal because it's Lizzo. 

You do have a point if not for these reich wing bags of manure whining about it the story wouldn't have gotten the traction it did in the news.  So the reich wingers kind of shot themselves in the foot by whining about it because it gave Lizzo lots more exposure and has them looking like fornicating fools.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5