IGNORED

Package Explosion at Northeastern University

47of74

A package exploded at Northeastern last night;

A staff member at a Boston university is being treated for minor injuries after a package delivered to the campus detonated while they were opening it.

A spokesperson for Northeastern University said the explosion happened shortly after 7 p.m. at Holmes Hall. No students were injured.

The Boston Police Department's Bomb Squad responded to the scene to investigate the incident, according to the spokesperson.

A search revealed a second similar package that was ultimately rendered safe by the Boston Police Department's bomb squad.

Having a second explosive package pretty much rules out accident as far as I'm concerned.  Other Boston area schools are on alert now, and I imagine organizations in general are being more careful today when it comes to receiving stuff.  I hope it's an isolated thing and not some Qanon/Branch Trumpvidian inspired attack.

• Thank You 3

If he only sustained minor injuries while opening it, then I would say it’s not a big bomb. Most people lose limbs if their lives while opening a bomb that goes off. One thing to be thankful for. Hopefully the person is just a shitty bomb maker and doesn’t hurt anyone else before he’s caught. 

• Upvote 3

This could be anything, for any reason, except there's about a 99.999999% likelihood that the bomber is male. 

Between March 2 - 18,  2018 a serial package bomber in the greater Austin, TX area placed or mailed random bombs that killed two people and seriously injured five more.  Reports said things like "seriously injured but not life threatening" which covers a LOT of serious and permanent damage to a human being. 

The bomber,  "23-year-old Mark Anthony Conditt of Pflugerville, Texas, committed suicide by detonating an explosive inside his vehicle after he was pulled over by police on March 21, also injuring a police officer."

From the Austin Serial Bombing Wiki: "Mark Anthony Conditt, born in June 1994 (age 23), lived in Pflugerville, Texas, outside Austin. He grew up in a very religious Christian family... He was home-schooled by his mother, who in February 2013 "officially graduated" him from high school...He reportedly was part of a club called Righteous Invasion of Truth (R.I.O.T.), apparently named after a Carman song. The club's members home-schooled children, practiced survivalism, and held Bible studies." 

Subsequently, 

"Police found a 25-minute video on Conditt's phone in which he described the devices and confessed to the bombings." 

Conditt described himself as a psychopath, disturbed since childhood; he expressed no remorse over what he'd one.  He had plans for other random targets and to blow  himself up in a crowded McDonald's if he thought police were closing in. At no point did Conditt state a motive for what he did. His two housemates and family members had zero clue what he was up to. 

USA Today: Austin serial bomber: Self-described psychopath left behind unemotional trail of murder

Family statement: “We are devastated and broken at the news that our family could be involved in such an awful way. We had no idea of the darkness that Mark must have been in. Our family is a normal family in every way. We love, we pray, and we try to inspire and serve others."

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

A few more details on this case

A hard plastic case that exploded on the campus of Northeastern University in Boston causing minor injuries to a staff member contained a rambling note that railed against virtual reality and also referenced Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, a law enforcement official said Wednesday.

Investigators are still trying to identify the motive behind the Tuesday evening explosion and are working to understand why the package was specifically sent to Northeastern, the official said.

Investigators are also trying to determine the specific mechanism of the device and whether the package contained any gunpowder, the official added. The official could not discuss details of the investigation publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

The official described the case as a "Pelican-style" case. Pelican makes hard cases designed to protect sensitive equipment.

• Thank You 2

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

A few more details on this case

I'm guessing likely a white male, probably one entrenched in online right wing and/or conspiracy theories. Nominally Christian but not devout or a regular church attender. Possibly an incel and probaby middle class or at least not poor. I hope they are able to catch the perp so there won't be any more injuries and also so I can see how close my guess was.

• Upvote 3